Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Ranking not an issue, but over-ranking clearly was a thing.

Preseason rankings included Race and XJ, before X went down we were ranked 14th which was about the average of the Preseason rank.  

Sure we got hopeful after the Xavier road win and smashing UNC but 14 is about right with a healthy team.  With X and Race we hope to hang in The top 40.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Good teams find a way to overcome officiating most of the time. Teams that consistently are the aggressor eventually see call start bending more in their direction. We just can't sustain it consistently. That's an issue.

We are not a good team without 2 senior starters so it would be nice to get a decent to fair whistle.

• Like 2

I think CJ Gunn is the X factor right now. I think MR and JG are liabilities right now at the 4/5. JMO…. We got out hustled especially when MR and JG were in. MR will be just fine and will be huge for IU with meaningful minutes at some point, but he’s not the answer right now. I think with our recent injuries, Galloway needs to be starting along with Tamar. I think with a smaller lineup and more speed we can play more effectively. I like that Coach switched up the defense and finally threw in some much needed zone defense. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Injuries suck. It's not fair. I don't deny any of it. It's tragic. But sometime you just have to man up, dude.

So they are a good team.  You keep going back and forth about rankings and now this.  Where you at with this roster?  I just hope we get in the tourney and get the guys back.  Sure absolutely,  you can't blow that lead to Iowa.  Sure you can't come and get blown out on your home court against Northwestern and squander 2 really good games by JHS and Trayce.  The rest of the team has to figure out how to guard as a team.  They are not in sync so yeah, man up and win enough to get into the tournament and hopefully the motor and emotional spark guy is back and your muscle Trayce sidekick is back.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDB said:

We shot 51.6% from the field, and 50% from 3 with 9 made threes.. We scored 83 points, and 49 in the second half.

Our defense has suddenly become atrocious. Wide open driving lanes, wide open looks from 3, and we get beat off the dribble constantly.

The officiating wasn't good today, but our effort on the defensive end is why we are losing games and it will be why we continue to.

All of this as well as we foul entirely too much. The defensive effort and execution on Buie was embarrassing. We also can’t afford 9 turnovers from our two best players. The offense isn’t the problem, everything else is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

If we remove that phantom foul against JHS in the 1st half, we win! 🤪 

If TJD hits the late free throw with Galloway’s last shot, we go to overtime… It shouldn’t have to depend on that, but that’s where we’re at. Poor bench play, missed free throws and turnovers. I left out X and Race because our bench should be deep enough to overcome that. JMO.

• Like 4

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

If TJD hits the late free throw with Galloway’s last shot, we go to overtime… It shouldn’t have to depend on that, but that’s where we’re at. Poor bench play, missed free throws and turnovers. I left out X and Race because our bench should be deep enough to overcome that. JMO.

They never let TG get that last shot off if they are only up 3. 

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I think CJ Gunn is the X factor right now. I think MJ and JG are liabilities right now at the 4/5. JMO…. We got out hustled especially when MJ and JG were in. MR will be just fine and will be huge for IU with meaningful minutes at some point, but he’s not the answer right now. I think with our recent injuries, Galloway needs to be starting along with Tamar. I think with a smaller lineup and more speed we can play more effectively. I like that Coach switched up the defense and finally threw in some much needed zone defense. 

Gunn played 15 minutes, played a little too fast on offense but brought the spark to speed up the defense against a quick backcourt.   If he could just slow down a hair and let the game come to him offensively I could see his confidence pop.   Sadly, JHS and Trey are going to play a ton because of ball handling.   

I'm not sure who MJ is?  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So they are a good team.  You keep going back and forth about rankings and now this.  Where you at with this roster?  I just hope we get in the tourney and get the guys back.  Sure absolutely,  you can't blow that lead to Iowa.  Sure you can't come and get blown out on your home court against Northwestern and squander 2 really good games by JHS and Trayce.  The rest of the team has to figure out how to guard as a team.  They are not in sync so yeah, man up and win enough to get into the tournament and hopefully the motor and emotional spark guy is back and your muscle Trayce sidekick is back.  

I love everything after your first two sentences. They need to get their shit in gear. 

Are people not able to follow my arguments? I am saying if we are as good as our early season rankings we should be able to win a few of these recent games despite the impact of injury.

If not we should have been pre/early-season rated more like 20 to 25, which I said was probably more realistic given - IMO - we hand't shown the ability to sustain top-10/upper B1G all season with the favorite tag, which itself brings major added pressure and challenge.

So if the initial ranking were appropriate, I would expect we could overcome some of this.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Gunn played 15 minutes, played a little too fast on offense but brought the spark to speed up the defense against a quick backcourt.   If he could just slow down a hair and let the game come to him offensively I could see his confidence pop.   Sadly, JHS and Trey are going to play a ton because of ball handling.   

I'm not sure who MJ is?  

I meant, M. R….🤣

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not sure who MJ is?  

I looked out there once and saw CJG gaurding about 5' past the 3 line and JUMPED with amazement ! WTF started us playing D with out toes on the 3 line instead of heals? JFC! 

• Sad 1