Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I love everything after your first two sentences. They need to get their shit in gear. 

Are people not able to follow my arguments? I am saying if we are as good as our early season rankings we should be able to win a few of these recent games despite the impact of injury.

If not we should have been pre/early-season rated more like 20 to 25, which I said was probably more realistic given - IMO - we hand't shown the ability to sustain top-10/upper B1G all season with the favorite tag, which itself brings major added pressure and challenge.

So if the initial ranking were appropriate, I would expect we could overcome some of this.

Rankings are based off your top 7 or 8 guys, not #13

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

We are playing freshmen that cant play. MK, TG, JG and MK couldn't guard dead people. No the talent isn't there....Dude

We don’t have talent on this team? Disagree with that. We had 4 top 50 recruits on the floor at one time and NW was running circles around them…..Beren even had time to check his syllabus and make sure that paper he wrote isn’t due tomorrow morning….and then he found himself wide open for a 3. 

We made Northwestern look like the 2018 Golden State Warriors.

Northwestern! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D-BONE said:

I love everything after your first two sentences. They need to get their shit in gear. 

Are people not able to follow my arguments? I am saying if we are as good as our early season rankings we should be able to win a few of these recent games despite the impact of injury.

If not we should have been pre/early-season rated more like 20 to 25, which I said was probably more realistic given - IMO - we hand't shown the ability to sustain top-10/upper B1G all season with the favorite tag, which itself brings major added pressure and challenge.

So if the initial ranking were appropriate, I would expect we could overcome some of this.

I guess not.  Like I said, after 9 games we were 7-2 and ranked 14th.  About right with X and Race.  

No excuse at Iowa.  That may come down to inside or outside the bubble.  Same as today really but without 2 senior starters, though no one expects or accepts it, it wasn't as shocking at blowing a 21 point lead.  Most teams in the 12-20 range would suffer greatly losing 2 senior starters.  If you do think that's true then let's just move on.  

I'm surprisingly calm about this loss. Disappointed for sure but.....and I know the next man up fan guys will argue this.....you can't judge anything when down 40% of your starters. You just can't. We made some dumb mistakes...careless passes by many. 1 point loss to a team who has also won at Sparty.

It's not season ending by any means. Schedule has some winnable games coming up. Try and get healthy and see what happens in March. Regular season is out the window title is out the window but who cares about those anymore anyway.

In terms of game. TJD just an absolute warrior and I still chuckle at some who thought JHS wouldn't be starting. Absolute stud and you can see his confidence growing. We'll get this thing righted. Ton of hoops to be played.

• Like 4

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

….No, now don’t say that dude! Come on! Reneau is thinking WAY too much. He is very talented, but he’s overthinking EVERYTHING and not ready for his needed roll. It will definitely come.

You're right. I'm not saying he's trash, but he's playing trash. He's young. He's also rather slow and earth-bound for a legit PF currently though. Was just responding to other posts that I think are letting our bench off the hook for the current struggles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I guess not.  Like I said, after 9 games we were 7-2 and ranked 14th.  About right with X and Race.  

No excuse at Iowa.  That may come down to inside or outside the bubble.  Same as today really but without 2 senior starters, though no one expects or accepts it, it wasn't as shocking at blowing a 21 point lead.  Most teams in the 12-20 range would suffer greatly losing 2 senior starters.  If you do think that's true then let's just move on.  

No worries. Despite the disagreement, I appreciate the debate. And your position is by no means untenable. 

C'mon, CMW, you saw as well as us what JHS did. Can you tweak the offense to get a little more ball and player movement speahreaded by him and a very capable TJD (in terms of ballhandling, breaking down the D, and passing) to somehow get guys like Bates, Copp, and Galloway more smoothly integrated into the offense? 

Agree with several here - all those guys have offensive skills. Why do they get so few shots?

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

We don’t have talent on this team? Disagree with that. We had 4 top 50 recruits on the floor at one time and NW was running circles around them…..Beren even had time to check his syllabus and make sure that paper he wrote isn’t due tomorrow morning….and then he found himself wide open for a 3. 

We made Northwestern look like the 2018 Golden State Warriors.

Northwestern! 

All that said, you made my point. Couldnt give 2 shits about rankings. Have you seen some of the guys making a living from ranking players. Most wouldnt be the last pick on the play ground.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

C'mon, CMW, you saw as well as us what JHS did. Can you tweak the offense to get a little more ball and player movement speahreaded by him and a very capable TJD (in terms of ballhandling, breaking down the D, and passing) to somehow get guys like Bates, Copp, and Galloway more smoothly integrated into the offense? 

Agree with several here - all those guys have offensive skills. Why do they get so few shots?

Offense hasn't been the issue.  Defense has.  But coaching certainly needs to improve.  Like at Iowa.  After JG lost Murray for the 3 at 16 minutes,  he should have been yanked but he stayed in another 4 minutes and cost another 7 points.  

To my eye, there are 3 glaring deficiencies that need to be addressed yesterday:

1.  FT shooting.  As RMK said THEY ARE FREE!  No excuses for D1 athletes to not be proficient.  CMW and players share this problem.

2. Defense.  Multiple players seem lost and act as though they were never prepared with a scouting report.  CMW and players share this problem

3. Turnovers.  Player for the most part own this.  

BIG season now appears lost.  Hopefully, CMW and staff can salvage enough wins by the end of the BIG Tournament to make into the NCAAT.  I'm ambivalent at best on whether that can occur.  The next 2mo will give us enough insight into CMW's ability to truly get IU back to prominence.  I wish him well.  

The honeymoon is over.  It's time for solutions.  No more excuses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Offense hasn't been the issue.  Defense has.  But coaching certainly needs to improve.  Like at Iowa.  After JG lost Murray for the 3 at 16 minutes,  he should have been yanked but he stayed in another 4 minutes and cost another 7 points.  

Defense has been poor no doubt. But you also need to involve more people in the offense build their confidence, etc. It's not as simple as D wins championships anymore. Opponents have players - including bench guys - and schemes that can score the ball. You have to be able to put points on the board, including off your bench.

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm surprisingly calm about this loss. Disappointed for sure but.....and I know the next man up fan guys will argue this.....you can't judge anything when down 40% of your starters. You just can't. We made some dumb mistakes...careless passes by many. 1 point loss to a team who has also won at Sparty.

It's not season ending by any means. Schedule has some winnable games coming up. Try and get healthy and see what happens in March. Regular season is out the window title is out the window but who cares about those anymore anyway.

In terms of game. TJD just an absolute warrior and I still chuckle at some who thought JHS wouldn't be starting. Absolute stud and you can see his confidence growing. We'll get this thing righted. Ton of hoops to be played.

there really were people saying Woodson wouldn't start him because he was a freshman weren't there?

• Like 1