Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

23 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

"Coach had a great game plan and I don't think we followed it at all, honestly. We didn't switch when we needed to switch, and it's mental errors. 

When you don't listen to your coaches, that's going to really hurt you because obviously they were getting whatever shot they wanted."

“I managed good, but boy did they play bad”

Jim Bouton

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Damn it, we had plans today and I was really hoping to watch the game when we got back. I checked the score early and saw we had a crappy start. 

Looks like another season of mediocrity. Yay!

I’m back to Archie mode. I record the game, then check the score before I watch it. Tonight was a delete. 

• Like 3

Am I the only guy asking why Woody will not play Duncomb? what does he have against this kid? I bet if he got Geronimo's minutes he would do better scoring, rebounding, and defending? I do not understand what he has to lose playing Logan? Any clues?

Edited by Rantool

22 minutes ago, Rantool said:

Am I the only guy asking why Woody will not play Duncomb? what does he have against this kid? I bet if he got Geronimo's minutes he would do better scoring, rebounding, and defending? I do not understand what he has to lose playing Logan? Any clues?

I can only speculate.  But, I would guess it has to do with practice effort or off the court stuff.  

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can only speculate.  But, I would guess it has to do with practice effort or off the court stuff.  

I think a lot of our fans forget that Woodson has to coach the team in practice too, and what happens in practice can often determine what takes place in the games. 

Duncomb played against Kennesaw State; I remember a play where he had a clear baseline path to the basket, but dribbled the ball off his leg and fell down. Didn't look like a Big Ten player to me. 

• Like 1

I am to the point where I am to old to let an outcome of a game bother so much.  I will still watch every  minute of every game and probably get frustrated. Since I have no influence on the outcome of the game so why let the outcome ruin my mood.  I will hope for a win every time IU steps onto the floor but will leave it to that.

I am super disappointed. I watched the replay and Northwestern was firmly in control of the game nearly start to finish. This loss at home fresh off the Iowa loss feels so bad. The injuries suck but other dudes got to step up and get it going outside of JH and TJD. 

I am supposing we will be without both X and Race for a while and it makes me fearful of how much worse it is going to get W/L wise before it gets better. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.476724ddc1277e108c6685ff00a2f45c.jpeg

I forgot about this Jadlow game.  I thought you meant Greg Graham's 32 point outing, with 28 of them free throws.

"Feb. 21, 1993 - Behind a game-high 32 points from Greg Graham, No. 1 Indiana defeated No. 14 Purdue, 93-78. Graham tallied 28 points from the free-throw line in the victory, a mark which still ranks second in free throws made in a game in school history.

Brian Evans tallied 20 points in the win for IU and he also pulled down seven rebounds. Matt Nover scored 12 points and had a team-high nine boards. Calbert Cheaney added 14 points."

Don't like to comment to much with the state of panic. I still think our best BB is a head? If Coach gets the  D fixed!! Coach SHEP has said often how bad X is But most of us KNOW how much he means on both ends ! With Race out Forget any big10 champs. But if we get healthy lookout in late Feb. and more so in MAR? Lot of minutes AND PROVING YOU BELONG ON THE COURT FOR IU'S YOUNG PLAYERS  ! COACHING NEEDS TO Improve all so!! LET THE HOT HAND PLAY!! They are young and can run for 40 minutes! NEVER TAKE IT EASY ON OPPENENT UNTIL THE END IS GIVEN!! Sorry for rant! Turned 70 and my time is running out!! HOPE TO watch a NCAA BANNER be fore I see Mile CC Snowling Htd and so many more !! Tough to lose May god bless you all!! GO IU!! Sorry for spelling and such!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

I forgot about this Jadlow game.  I thought you meant Greg Graham's 32 point outing, with 28 of them free throws.

"Feb. 21, 1993 - Behind a game-high 32 points from Greg Graham, No. 1 Indiana defeated No. 14 Purdue, 93-78. Graham tallied 28 points from the free-throw line in the victory, a mark which still ranks second in free throws made in a game in school history.

Brian Evans tallied 20 points in the win for IU and he also pulled down seven rebounds. Matt Nover scored 12 points and had a team-high nine boards. Calbert Cheaney added 14 points."

Not sure I’ll ever forget that 😳🧐😱

• Like 1

The box score above is interesting. I've always said you shouldn't play a lot of players! The box score above shows we didn't back in the day! I've been to coaching clinics where Wooden said coaches shouldn't play more than seven! Put your best five out there and don't sub unless necessary. Necessary means lack of focus, especially on defense, lazy, or just being stupid! And foul trouble of course! Painter at PU makes this mistake all the time! Rotation subbing is just stupid!

Since December 3:

L: at Rutgers, -15

W: Nebraska, +16

L: Arizona (neutral), -14

L: at Kansas, -22

W: Elon, +24 (#318 Kenpom at the time)

W: Kennesaw State, +14 (#221 Kenpom at that time)

L: at Iowa, -2

L: Northwestern, -1

So much here to consider.  

Early in the season as both regional and national reporters saw IU practice more than a few described IU as having the depth for TWO starting 5’s.  Yet, it is being conveyed the overall and particularly defensive drop-off is due to X and Race “on the bench” with injuries.  Make no mistake, losing 2 Senior starters is significant. 

That said, it seems Chris Collins just won a road game with far, far less that Indiana has available even WITH injuries.

As a passionate fan, I am concerned not only about what unfolds from here this season, but future seasons. 

1.  Line substitutions, NBA style, are neither necessary or practiced by long-term successful programs

2.  Losing a 21-point lead?

3.  Xavier aside, will Indiana win any conference road games?

4.  Losing at home to Northwestern, after Iowa loss?

5.  Big early holes, no visible urgency 

6.  Something feels off.  Is it team chemistry?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

Since December 3:

L: at Rutgers, -15

W: Nebraska, +16

L: Arizona (neutral), -14

L: at Kansas, -22

W: Elon, +24 (#318 Kenpom at the time)

W: Kennesaw State, +14 (#221 Kenpom at that time)

L: at Iowa, -2

L: Northwestern, -1

So much here to consider.  

Early in the season as both regional and national reporters saw IU practice more than a few described IU as having the depth for TWO starting 5’s.  Yet, it is being conveyed the overall and particularly defensive drop-off is due to X and Race “on the bench” with injuries.  Make no mistake, losing 2 Senior starters is significant. 

That said, it seems Chris Collins just won a road game with far, far less that Indiana has available even WITH injuries.

As a passionate fan, I am concerned not only about what unfolds from here this season, but future seasons. 

1.  Line substitutions, NBA style, are neither necessary or practiced by long-term successful programs

2.  Losing a 21-point lead?

3.  Xavier aside, will Indiana win any conference road games?

4.  Losing at home to Northwestern, after Iowa loss?

5.  Big early holes, no visible urgency 

6.  Something feels off.  Is it team chemistry?

I am trying to let things play out.  I keep staring at the pitchfork and torch hanging on the wall but am trying to be patient.....

That being said, I have a whole bunch of negative swirling in my head right now from the administration on down.

• Like 3