Penn State Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know the Pacers in the NBA is going small ball.  They are starting Nesmith at the 4 and he is only 6'6

Turner ,6'11 

Nesmith 6'6 

Held 6'4 

Nemhard 6'3 

Haliburton 6'6

Completely onboard with going small and have been calling for that for years. 

I'm just not sure PSU, specifically Pickett, is the right matchup for that. They run so much through Pickett and I don't think Kopp or Galloway can defend him if he's able to get to his spots. 

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Rebound and drive to the hoop

I think that's part of my optimism though... Not a good rebounding team, especially offensive rebounds, and they don't have good dribble drive guards like Buie and Audige. They do like the pull up jumper... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slojoe said:

I don't know if someone else mentioned it, but TJD said in post-game interview that the team didn't follow the game plan in NW game.  I guess so!

There's lots of talent on this team even with the injuries.  Need to put their heads down and do what it takes to win.

Then those guys should be sitting on the bench while we watch LD, AL, and other guys play. Not following a game plan? Miscommunications? We’re 15 games into the season. I get two major injuries change things a bit, but I’m starting to wonder where the coaching/discipline is coming from. 

• Like 2

Just an honest question, does anyone else feel like they would rather have Banks getting minuets instead of Geronimo, feel like they are basically the same player, uber athletic and raw. Just feel like Geronimo has had his chances and has shows that at times he can be a liability. I know throwing him in for minuets in conference play could be tough but why not start Malik and bring Banks off. Just an opinion and would like to hear others. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mkaser said:

Just an honest question, does anyone else feel like they would rather have Banks getting minuets instead of Geronimo, feel like they are basically the same player, uber athletic and raw. Just feel like Geronimo has had his chances and has shows that at times he can be a liability. I know throwing him in for minuets in conference play could be tough but why not start Malik and bring Banks off. Just an opinion and would like to hear others. 

I want to see different guys at this point. If we’re going to lose, let’s do it getting some young guys experience. JG can’t get it done. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mkaser said:

I honestly did think about that... Geronimo has a longer history, has had games he's competed well in, and has Woody's trust to some degree...

But I've seen the ball almost hit him in the head twice on passes in the last two games, and otherwise look lost on both ends of the floor... I don't know what's going on with him, but he does seem to have regressed some... Maybe overthinking it? 

I know CJ is getting better minutes because of injuries, and he's done some good and some bad... I said before the Northwestern game it might be time to see what not only Banks, but Duncomb bring against stiffer competition... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

Bulldog or Alpha dog week or whatever phrase you want to throw at it. We have to right this ship. Sitting at 1-3 while trying to not sink down our guys. If we could somehow get this one, home game Saturday vs what I saw a very, very, very beatable Wisconsin team. We could be 3-3 headed into another split week. Just trying to figure out a way to be .500 or close to that before we get back X or Race.

Just hoping Penn St isn't going to shoot like Northwestern. If they do it's a road loss. If they don't pound that thing to TJD and hope one other person besides JHS steps up. And for the love of things....no more stupid turnovers. I felts like we had 5-6 passes where I'm like what was that?

I want to see something significant out of the likes of Bates, Galloway, and Kopp. JG may be a lost cause, but those three can't be somewhat more impactful under the circumstances? WTF is going on? That's 4/5 of the pre-season "2nd starting 5". They can't be more than wallflowers with this opportunity? I just don't know who to blame.

Hell, those three plus TJD and JHS still ain't chopped liver. At least they shouldn't be.

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Everyone on the floor has to be locked in on D from here on out if they want any chance to compete. 

Why should we think it will change? We've had what(?) 13, 14 games to learn how to play hard? And still don't have a clue on how to do it other than a couple minutes in a half.

I don't have any confidence that the attitude will change. And there is plenty of blame to spread around to whoever you want.

15 minutes ago, DWB said:

Why should we think it will change? We've had what(?) 13, 14 games to learn how to play hard? And still don't have a clue on how to do it other than a couple minutes in a half.

I don't have any confidence that the attitude will change. And there is plenty of blame to spread around to whoever you want.

9 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

I don't see us winning this game. Hope I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I feel like I’ve posted this in every pre game thread of every B1G game for about five years now, but we really need to get off to a good start. That guarantees nothing, see @Iowa game for evidence, but if we couldn’t overcome the bad start at home against NW, we likely can’t on the road. 

lack-of.gif.dfa90047da74d8e67428f4124908b412.gif

😉

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Still have faith. Just want to make sure we get off to a good start. 

Well, we tried getting off to a good start in Iowa, and that didn't work... Then we let THEM get out to a good start vs Northwestern, and that didn't either...

So, maybe just keep it close the whole game and pull it out in the end 🙂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, we tried getting off to a good start in Iowa, and that didn't work... Then we let THEM get out to a good start vs Northwestern, and that didn't either...

So, maybe just keep it close the whole game and pull it out in the end 🙂 

I’ll take it.  Honestly, being in an 8-7 game and not down 14-4 was what I had in mind, not necessarily up 28-7. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To my friend @5fouls from the other thread...

😁 

No sir, a promise is a promise 😉

We are all friends here. This isn’t rivals. Most of us have been floating around this board since the Decker days. It’s ok to hash out differing opinions. Everyone here is civil folk for the most part.

Shoot, while the dust settled on the Instagram debacle, I was making my family home made Philly steak and cheese while watching the Chilli Bowl on Flo Sports. 👍 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Bulldog or Alpha dog week or whatever phrase you want to throw at it. We have to right this ship. Sitting at 1-3 while trying to not sink down our guys. If we could somehow get this one, home game Saturday vs what I saw a very, very, very beatable Wisconsin team. We could be 3-3 headed into another split week. Just trying to figure out a way to be .500 or close to that before we get back X or Race.

Just hoping Penn St isn't going to shoot like Northwestern. If they do it's a road loss. If they don't pound that thing to TJD and hope one other person besides JHS steps up. And for the love of things....no more stupid turnovers. I felts like we had 5-6 passes where I'm like what was that?

This week will probably decide the rest of the season.  I know there are a bunch of games left, but this is really do or die time IMO.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

We are all friends here. This isn’t rivals. Most of us have been floating around this board since the Decker days. It’s ok to hash out differing opinions. Everyone here is civil folk for the most part.

Shoot, while the dust settled on the Instagram debacle, I was making my family home made Philly steak and cheese while watching the Chilli Bowl on Flo Sports. 👍 

That's right... This place is supposed to be fun! 

f3b79196-16e3-4c4d-bed3-e2d582cb4533_text.gif.bf464f0d9757642865842bf8fa750e0f.gif

• Haha 1