Somebody needs to get the team off social media

5 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Exactly. My only reaction to this whole thing is “Yep, Barstool is still trash.” Pretty harmless post sure, but it would be best if accounts like this didn’t exist. Just lowest common denominator stuff. 

Also I don’t care what the players do or do not do on social media. It’s a part of life for people that age. As much as we would all like to return us to Mayberry, it’s just not happening. 

Reading back through this thread... just to be clear. You know that this "barstool" acct isn't actually associated with Barstool the company, right? Like there is no true affiliation. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Reading back through this thread... just to be clear. You know that this "barstool" acct isn't actually associated with Barstool the company, right? Like there is no true affiliation. 

That us kind of the point though.  You don't know who you are arguing with.  This is far fetched for this particular account, but it could be some pissed off 5 figure donor you are flipping the bird to or basically challenging to "meet you outside".  With NIL this is quite literally these guys' potential paychecks.

The new generation isn't anything new.  They are stupid.  We were all stupid.  That has not and will not change.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That us kind of the point though.  You don't know who you are arguing with.  This is far fetched for this particular account, but it could be some pissed off 5 figure donor you are flipping the bird to or basically challenging to "meet you outside".  With NIL this is quite literally these guys' potential paychecks.

The new generation isn't anything new.  They are stupid.  We were all stupid.  That has not and will not change.

Regardless of what we all think about the players responding, not all generations are the same and just act in the same youthful ways. There are very clear differences with each generation and how they view and interact with the world. 

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

For this analogy to be apt, you'd have also been visiting "Stinky's" twice a week for months and leaving negative reviews after nearly every visit, some of which do disparage particular employees, but you keep coming back week after week and posting the same vile ****. 

The players are responding to a pattern, not a one off.

I bet the Stinky's staff could shoot free throws better than 239th in the country.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Actually no, I did not know that. Thank you for pointing out. 

I can’t keep of all the wannabe social media sports accounts and pretty much just ignore all of them these days. 

Edited to add that The Daily Hoosier and Inside the Hall are on my reading lists. They are actually providing great and useful content.

Edited by Lostin76
Added text
  • Like 1

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Actually no, I did not know that. Thank you for pointing out. 

I can’t keep of all the wannabe social media sports accounts and pretty much just ignore all of them these days. 

Understandable. It's like a thing now... every college (and most HSs) have "barstool" account. It's trendy. 

• Like 1

Trace and coach have made it clear people are not following the game plan.  You know they have been coached on how to best present themselves on Social yet they’re not. I can’t help but go back to last year and what happened at Northwestern.  There is a difference between being a normal college kid that parties and blatantly disregarding your coach and the standards set by the athletic department.

This is starting to feel like much more than a few bad choices and navigating social media appropriately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Not going to happen unless he resigns/retires but it shows that there are definitely some issues brewing even if it is just frustrated parents at this point. 

I agree that Dolson won't do anything about Woodson for couple years. Woodson was and is the wrong guy. Maybe he was the best option at the time. Hopefully Woodson quits but I have zero confidence in Dolson/Indiana hiring someone who can  lead this program. You can't fix stupid!

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

Trace and coach have made it clear people are not following the game plan.  You know they have been coached on how to best present themselves on Social yet they’re not. I can’t help but go back to last year and what happened at Northwestern.  There is a difference between being a normal college kid that parties and blatantly disregarding your coach and the standards set by the athletic department.

This is starting to feel like much more than a few bad choices and navigating social media appropriately.

If this is indeed true, then why are they playing. Presumably, those who are 'not' following the game plan, are 'not' doing so while playing, so why play them?

Curious who thinks they benefit from not following the plan, and why they are continually rewarded with playing time if that is the case.

• Like 4

So many conflicting emotions here.  As a coach, I'd certainly recommend players deactivate social media accounts, especially during the season.  Since it's near impossible to convince players to do that, I guess you get what you get and the players are going to have to accept that the world is full of idiots that will say ridiculous things.

Personally, I don't think it's unfair to call the players mentally soft.  It's really more of an indictment of the adults and influencers around them, and I'm not necessarily blaming the coaching staff here.  There are a ton of influencers in their collective lives that are not on the coaching staff.  The greatest evidence that the problems are between the ears is the Wisconsin game and the three games that preceded the Wisconsin game.  Had this conversation with my sister yesterday,  If anything, that win pissed me off because it showed what this team was capable of when their shots are not falling.  Every player not named Trayce is just wildly inconsistent and I believe that comes with mental softness.  You never know who's going to show up and play.  Players with hard mental edges and focus do not throw up 20 points one game and get a doughnut the next game.  I'm not going to single anyone out.  It doesn't take a genius to read the game to game stats and see how up and down most of IU's players are.  Mentally soft players are easy to knock off their game.  Trayce is a different animal.  Sometimes he plays injured and sometimes he is double and triple-teamed.  I never have the feeling that he's mentally checked out of a game though.  As much as I hate the Rutgers players for saying it, it's hard to disagree with them that IU is soft and no one is afraid of them.

Here's hoping this team tunes out everyone who tells them they are victims or entitled, etc. and starts listening to a coaching staff that shows them the world isn't fair and if they want it, they're going to have to outwork everyone else for it and earn it.  Simplistic, I know, but it feels to a casual fan like this is a problem and has been for awhile at IU.

• Like 6