Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

9 hours ago, IUrocker said:

Question is, with Woody being that “IU guy”, how difficult is it going to be to actually get rid of him if things really do spiral out of control? Like I saw someone post above, I wonder if he’d just resign himself if he didn’t think he was getting it done. Will Dolson actually do something? Will someone above Dolson do something about it if he doesn’t?  I hope to turn this around and sucks thinking like this after just a few losses, but it’s the WAY WE LOSE that makes it seem like it’s something that can’t get fixed with what we have. I feel like I’m overreacting yet not at all at the same time. 

Probably have to get rid of Buckner first.  Dolson is an epic disaster but this clown show is mainly on Buckner. 

A big part of the Hoosier fan-base always took comfort in the idea that we would return to our rightful position in college basketball if we just had an IU guy. If CMW doesn't turn this around what is left?.......I guess bring in Alford to kill off any lingering hope in the few stragglers. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Let said:

I've been thinking about the Woody vs Fife deal. I noticed last year Fife was nowhere near Woody on the bench. If i was a betting man, i think Fife probably told Woody he was stupid!!! So Woody fied him instead of listening to Fife.  I was hoping they would go with Fife for the head job to start with!  I say bring Fife to IU!

I don't, nor ever have wanted Fife as our HC, but he definitely had something to contribute but Woodson ignored him completely.  IMO, the problem is that Dane wasn't Woody's decision and that doesn't strike me as a workable situation. And/or MW believes he doesn't need any help in coaching a team.

4 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

A big part of the Hoosier fan-base always took comfort in the idea that we would return to our rightful position in college basketball if we just had an IU guy. If CMW doesn't turn this around what is left?.......I guess bring in Alford to kill off any lingering hope in the few stragglers. 

IMO that thinking (we need an IU guy) is as shortsighted as limiting recruiting to the state of Indiana. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

IMO that thinking (we need an IU guy) is as shortsighted as limiting recruiting to the state of Indiana. 

I'm an IU guy, and I don't mean to start an argument, but when I think I want an IU guy it is because I associate a former IU basketball player with grit, smarts and a competitive spirit (and maybe someone who can shoot). When I think of hiring an IU guy I am, in a shorthand way, of saying that we need someone with the ability to bring those characteristics to his team. I also expect that an IU guy knows this is what made IU great, so he doesn't have to learn it. Doesn't mean he necessarily has to be IU grad, but like I said, he should already know this and so already understands what IU is about. Sure thought Woody knew this and he talked as if he knew this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I agree, but the fanbase needs to get that thinking out of their heads. What would need to happen now for this team to get to 20 wins? Even if we turn around our play, adjustment made, etc. the rest of the Big Ten is too good to win that many games unless we play like a top 10 team. Hard to see this happening. 

We are moving from "wait 'til next year" to the "wait 'til next coach".  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I've never thought it had to be an IU guy but if all the big fish say no again an Alford/Fife combo would be lightyears ahead of what we have now.  At least Steve and Dane know the college game as well as anyone and Steve has the personality to placate our crazy fanbase.

• Confused 1

For those of you who haven't seen BSU play, Lewis has them playing very well. Great defense, good offense and he's using somebody else's roster that wasn't impressive last year.

Want somebody with toughness and grit? (good traits IMO), knows Xs & Os? 

He should at least be a candidate in the mix to replace Woody. (You can say he doesn't have the experience, but at this point how could it be worse?

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, DWB said:

For those of you who haven't seen BSU play, Lewis has them playing very well. Great defense, good offense and he's using somebody else's roster that wasn't impressive last year.

Want somebody with toughness and grit? (good traits IMO), knows Xs & Os? 

He should at least be a candidate in the mix to replace Woody. (You can say he doesn't have the experience, but at this point how could it be worse?

I wanted Lewis over Fife

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I have said it more for the football team but maybe it’s gonna apply to basketball two after these last few bad hires.  Need to take a risk on a proven college winner with a bad record.  It would never happen but I would bring in someone like Briles for football and Beard a great choice for basketball.  He is in a much better position than Briles as Bears was never convicted and can be spun as too fast a fire without allowing due diligence to play out.  IU is gonna have to remove the piety and be willing to get. A little dirty if they want to win.  If not we will more than likely keep seeing what we are seeing.

Beard will get a second chance and some point, and perhaps one second chance for what he did is okay. I’d still prefer it’s not here, at least at this point.

Art Briles does not belong on a college campus. I’d be done with IU athletics if they chose to hire him. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Coach Woodson's take about last night...... Obviously,......he's frustrated, as he should be. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPZRWju0R2Q&t=287s

I think the last question was about the over-helping and Woodson said the players must think that is playing aggressive defense and guys were doings things they didn't go over in practice or the walkthrough.  Pair that with TJD's comments after the Northwestern game, about guys not following the game plan, and it doesn't sound too good. 

58 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I'm an IU guy, and I don't mean to start an argument, but when I think I want an IU guy it is because I associate a former IU basketball player with grit, smarts and a competitive spirit (and maybe someone who can shoot). When I think of hiring an IU guy I am, in a shorthand way, of saying that we need someone with the ability to bring those characteristics to his team. I also expect that an IU guy knows this is what made IU great, so he doesn't have to learn it. Doesn't mean he necessarily has to be IU grad, but like I said, he should already know this and so already understands what IU is about. Sure thought Woody knew this and he talked as if he knew this.

He did and does know all that. Better than probably anyone on this board.

It’s just times have changed a lot in relation to what many want for our program. Basketball is a different game. 

36 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Coach Woodson's take about last night...... Obviously,......he's frustrated, as he should be. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPZRWju0R2Q&t=287s

This is at least the second time lately we've heard "great game plan", but they didn't execute it. He said they were doing things they've never talked about. So why are they freelancing? No faith in the coaches/game plan, too complicated for this group, coaches unable to teach at this level, no accountability? 

He did call out Kopp a bit, along with Geronimo and Galloway. But wouldn't be surprised if all three or at least two start the game on Saturday. 

• Like 1

For those pointing to the loss of Fife possibly being the problem, I'd note that this same core group was below .500 in conference last year, and were getting blown off the court against Michigan in the BTT through the first half, and then the light went on for a few games. There were certainly positives to last year, but it easily could have been a situation where we were sitting home for the tournament after a bad loss to UM to finish the season ... and, let's face it, even with the short rest and whatever, the St. Mary's loss wasn't pretty.

I have no idea what needs to change, but it's getting really old watching a program that consistently has more talent on the court getting completely waxed by average teams. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He did and does know all that. Better than probably anyone on this board.

It’s just times have changed a lot in relation to what many want for our program. Basketball is a different game. 

It is and it isn't.

We have gotten to the point where we are treating a bad Beatles tribute band (they dress the part but make constant mistakes in the lyrics and chords while playing) like they are actually John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

If we are going to be a tribute band we need to make sure we do everything to perfection so that we actually catch more than just the aesthetics of the band.  If we aren't down with being a 60's pop band and want to be something else, then we need to stop playing the part.

Right now we are a team/program that likes all the benefits that guys earned for us 25+ years ago without doing the things they had to do to build the program that had earned those benefits.  The current players are basically trust fund kids.  Billy Madison.  

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

For those pointing to the loss of Fife possibly being the problem, I'd note that this same core group was below .500 in conference last year, and were getting blown off the court against Michigan in the BTT through the first half, and then the light went on for a few games. There were certainly positives to last year, but it easily could have been a situation where we were sitting home for the tournament after a bad loss to UM to finish the season ... and, let's face it, even with the short rest and whatever, the St. Mary's loss wasn't pretty.

I have no idea what needs to change, but it's getting really old watching a program that consistently has more talent on the court getting completely waxed by average teams. 

Well last season we were literally in every single game if I remember correctly with the exception of UM at home who we later beat and St Mary's. We're getting consistently blown out this season with much more talent.

I don’t see how Barney Fife would help this team - only one bullet and all. Kidding, but no Fife would not make a lick of difference other than scaring kids away. 

First 10 minutes looked okay for the most part. We were competing. I was even hopeful a bit in the early first half, but man the wheels came off fast. My first inclination is to buckle down for another extended losing streak and wallow in misery, but I’m going to try to have some faith over the next few games. 

We would not have lost all of these games at full strength, but that doesn’t matter anymore. We have to play the guys who we have. Let’s just win the next game and go from there. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well last season we were literally in every single game if I remember correctly with the exception of UM at home who we later beat and St Mary's. We're getting consistently blown out this season with much more talent.

I mean, sort of? We lost 7 of our last 9 in conference, including double digit losses to Illinois and MSU and an 8 point loss to Northwestern at home (I guess at least that one is consistent). I honestly don't remember how those games went, so it's possible they were close and then got out of hand. I guess my point is more that there were issues last year that seemed to get ignored because of being able to cherry pick some positives, and it being Woody's first year.

I really, really, really don't understand how we've been unable to shoot FTs through multiple coaches now. That part is just bizarre. 

IU relies on individual efforts to score. It's not so much an offense built on guys with roles set to get the best shot. It's more of an option 1 TJD and if he can't create move to option 2 to see if he can create, and so on. 

We talk a lot about Wisconsin's system. The reason they don't need elite recruits is they play with a specific idea of moving the ball and their players to get the easiest shot possible and then lock in on D. MSU crashes the boards and runs to get a layup or open three and if that doesn't work they run an offense to get the best shot possible. Then they play tough D. IU has neither working right now.

The reason IU looks so out of sorts on offense against better teams is they really don't seem to know how to get an easy shot for anyone. It comes down to a 1x1 move. The open shots they do get, there's no proof they will hit them. When X is running the offense they look better and his ability to beat his man off the dribble opens up a lot of opportunities, but at the end of the day it's still individuals having to work really hard to get a good shot. And the D has fallen apart and looks completely lost. 

Confidence is gone. You can see it on their faces. Either someone steps up or they can call it a season. I suggest over a week ago it may be time to invest in the young guys who will be here next season, but with the portal you have no idea who that will be.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I

Confidence is gone. You can see it on their faces. Either someone steps up or they can call it a season. I suggest over a week ago it may be time to invest in the young guys who will be here next season, but with the portal you have no idea who that will be.

Yeah, Bardo commented on how bad the body language is. He specifically mentioned JHS dropping his had after a PS player drilled a 3 over him. 

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It is and it isn't.

We have gotten to the point where we are treating a bad Beatles tribute band (they dress the part but make constant mistakes in the lyrics and chords while playing) like they are actually John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

If we are going to be a tribute band we need to make sure we do everything to perfection so that we actually catch more than just the aesthetics of the band.  If we aren't down with being a 60's pop band and want to be something else, then we need to stop playing the part.

Right now we are a team/program that likes all the benefits that guys earned for us 25+ years ago without doing the things they had to do to build the program that had earned those benefits.  The current players are basically trust fund kids.  Billy Madison.  

I disagree with this, no program is doing what they did 25 years ago to be successful. The game has changed.

If we want the same methods now that we used 25 years ago we aren’t going to get the results we want. 

• Like 1