Illinois Pregame Thread

IUFLA

First thing I'll be looking at in this game is how far extended are our guards pressuring the ball, and when TJD and Geronimo's men get the ball are they just standing 3ft off of them or at they applying pressure?

Saturday our guards extended pressure and when Wisconsin's bigs got the ball on the perimeter TJD and Geronimo were hounding them instead of letting them stand there as passers with no pressure. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First thing I'll be looking at in this game is how far extended are our guards pressuring the ball, and when TJD and Geronimo's men get the ball are they just standing 3ft off of them or at they applying pressure?

Saturday our guards extended pressure and when Wisconsin's bigs got the ball on the perimeter TJD and Geronimo were hounding them instead of letting them stand there as passers with no pressure. 

Watched the Illinois game versus Minny last night, and Dainja doesn't stray as far out of the post as Crowl does...

Dainja does like to get it and bump... And he's a big fella... 

And as I said to @BruceDouglas, I don't know who Geronimo and Kopp will guard re Mayer and Coleman... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Chester Frazier who is a coach for illinois tweets out his push/bump of Eric Gordon during PG handshakes back in 08.

Nice one…Illinois lost that game and Gordon is still in the NBA 😂

I think our Coach had a nice recap. Frazier guarded three guards that night (Gordon-19, Bassett-18, and Crawford-18) and didn't shut any of them down. IU won the game. Gordon has earned $176M in the NBA while Chester spent time playing in Germany 2nd Division. Chester should know his place.

In terms of the game. Not sure what to expect. Illini seem to be hitting their stride again after a rough patch post Texas game. Whoever is chosen to guard Maher will be a key. I also have noticed lots of driving lanes allowed by Illini so JHS should have no trouble getting to the rim. Seems like our games over there are always 5 point games where a key play or foul determines winner in final minute. Not expecting anything other than that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think our Coach had a nice recap. Frazier guarded three guards that night (Gordon-19, Bassett-18, and Crawford-18) and didn't shut any of them down. IU won the game. Gordon has earned $176M in the NBA while Chester spent time playing in Germany 2nd Division. Chester should know his place.

In terms of the game. Not sure what to expect. Illini seem to be hitting their stride again after a rough patch post Texas game. Whoever is chosen to guard Maher will be a key. I also have noticed lots of driving lanes allowed by Illini so JHS should have no trouble getting to the rim. Seems like our games over there are always 5 point games where a key play or foul determines winner in final minute. Not expecting anything other than that.

"Hitting their stride" is kinda relative here... There last 4 wins have been against Wisconsin at home with the Badgers missing Wahl, @ Nebraska, Michigan State at home with Sparty missing Malik Hall for a good portion of the game, and @ Minnesota... So it's not like they're playing the top echelon on the road yet... 

As this shows there's a reason why they're winning...

Screenshot_20230117-082314.thumb.png.401137a0a33a0bb3a2201b7b3129536e.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"Hitting their stride" is kinda relative here... There last 4 wins have been against Wisconsin at home with the Badgers missing Wahl, @ Nebraska, Michigan State at home with Sparty missing Malik Hall for a good portion of the game, and @ Minnesota... So it's not like they're playing the top echelon on the road yet... 

Does that also reflect we have the toughest road ahead as well?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Very true for sure that the Illini were gifted a nice conference schedule. Can't do anything about that now. Seems like I'm always starting with how or who are we going to put on their guys and stop them? Maybe I should spin it around and ask who on their team is going to stop TJD/JHS? Shoot even Malik will be a tough match up.

If we could somehow just be in the 35% range of 3's we'll win because I just don't think their bigs can handle TJD size, quickness,etc...although Dainja sp?? is faster than what he looks.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

So conflicted on this game. Saturday's performance is absolutely repeatable. It was simply our normal offense paired with a defense that applied pressure, energy and effort, as well as played much improved and more disciplined help side defense. 

IU can do that over and over. The issue is, during the TJD era (and I don't mean to blame this all on him, he's just much of the connective tissue) this is the type of game IU has no-showed for. 

This type of game, a road game coming off a big home win, has been the games that IU lacks energy and effort, plays listless and just doesn't compete. 

Again, I didn't mention TJD to blame him, but it's the back stretch of his senior year. I thought he set the tone Saturday with his perimeter defense on Crowl early in that game, well he needs to bring that energy and effort again to set the tone. 

It's senior leadership time, ala Yogi's senior year. 

Was thinking the exact same thing. I’m not very confident based on history that we show up with the same type of energy/intensity/effort. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Was thinking the exact same thing. I’m not very confident based on history that we show up with the same type of energy/intensity/effort. 

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I go into every game cautiously optimistic so that doesn't really mean much 🤣

I'll just be really disappointed if they don't bring the same energy and effort from Saturday. Of course I hope IU wins, but I can understand a road loss as long as they compete at a high level. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It'll either be Kopp or Geronimo... And the other one will get Hawkins... 

I think I'd try Kopp against Hawkins who looks to facilitate more than score. Coleman is pretty erratic in his performance so you never quite know what he's going to do.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I also have noticed lots of driving lanes allowed by Illini so JHS should have no trouble getting to the rim. Seems like our games over there are always 5 point games where a key play or foul determines winner in final minute. Not expecting anything other than that.

Illini have put an emphasis on denying 3 pointers so they go over screens and that does allow driving lanes. Dainja is getting better at navigating the drop coverage reads but will be challenged there.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Very true for sure that the Illini were gifted a nice conference schedule. Can't do anything about that now. Seems like I'm always starting with how or who are we going to put on their guys and stop them? Maybe I should spin it around and ask who on their team is going to stop TJD/JHS? Shoot even Malik will be a tough match up.

If we could somehow just be in the 35% range of 3's we'll win because I just don't think their bigs can handle TJD size, quickness,etc...although Dainja sp?? is faster than what he looks.

I would guess TJS starts on JHS as he's bigger/stronger than Harris. But Harris is a real pest to ball handlers so maybe he gets the assignment.

Why is IU's defense so much worse this season, is it as simple as the injuries to Johnson/Thompson?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

So conflicted on this game. Saturday's performance is absolutely repeatable. It was simply our normal offense paired with a defense that applied pressure, energy and effort, as well as played much improved and more disciplined help side defense. 

IU can do that over and over. The issue is, during the TJD era (and I don't mean to blame this all on him, he's just much of the connective tissue) this is the type of game IU has no-showed for. 

This type of game, a road game coming off a big home win, has been the games that IU lacks energy and effort, plays listless and just doesn't compete. 

Again, I didn't mention TJD to blame him, but it's the back stretch of his senior year. I thought he set the tone Saturday with his perimeter defense on Crowl early in that game, well he needs to bring that energy and effort again to set the tone. 

It's senior leadership time, ala Yogi's senior year. 

I was about to bring this up on the prediction thread...TJD's road record is 9-38 or a .19 wining percentage. No way to slice it...that's abysmal. Need to be the senior leader and begin to improve that winning percentage. The 19% road winning percentage is a big product of why many are still skeptical of if it "finally clicked." 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

I think I'd try Kopp against Hawkins who looks to facilitate more than score. Coleman is pretty erratic in his performance so you never quite know what he's going to do.

Illini have put an emphasis on denying 3 pointers so they go over screens and that does allow driving lanes. Dainja is getting better at navigating the drop coverage reads but will be challenged there.

I would guess TJS starts on JHS as he's bigger/stronger than Harris. But Harris is a real pest to ball handlers so maybe he gets the assignment.

Why is IU's defense so much worse this season, is it as simple as the injuries to Johnson/Thompson?

In the easiest of answers yes on X and Race. Race held Iowa's Murray to 7 before his injury after that he ended up with 30. Race would normally be on Maher but we'll have to probably roll with Geronimo because I think Kopp just can't match up speed wise. We'll see. 

• Like 1

Im not super familiar with Illinois guys.  I will say whoever is more outside oriented, I want Kopp on them.  Outside of Northwestern,  he's been really good defensively, more than holding his own.  Especially if the alternative is Geronimo guarding on the wing.  

Kopp gets dominated in the post, usually.   Geronimo,  not so much.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In the easiest of answers yes on X and Race. Race held Iowa's Murray to 7 before his injury after that he ended up with 30. Race would normally be on Maher but we'll have to probably roll with Geronimo because I think Kopp just can't match up speed wise. We'll see. 

It was actually 5, technically. Murray's basket to get him to 7 points was an offensive rebound put-back that happened while Race was lying on the court writhing in pain holding his knee. 

Not sure that bucket should be attributed to him while Race was defending him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It was actually 5, technically. Murray's basket to get him to 7 points was an offensive rebound put-back that happened while Race was lying on the court writhing in pain holding his knee. 

Not sure that bucket should be attributed to him while Race was defending him. 

Good catch. Just shows how valuable Race is on D for sure.

• Like 1

I found this interesting............

JV5TADZ8_bigger.jpg

Better get used to Woodson's offensive philosophy. Even w/out getting shots, Kopp provides some value as a proven shooter that defenses have to respect. One defender sticking on him provides space for Jalen & Trayce. (Still seems like a waste to not force the issue occasionally.)

eyNyVgSt_normal.png

Mike Schumann @ The Daily Hoosier

@daily_hoosier
·
2h
On Zoom with Mike Woodson. On Miller Kopp not getting shots lately: "Guys, they're not leaving him." #iubb

25 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

JV5TADZ8_bigger.jpg

Better get used to Woodson's offensive philosophy. Even w/out getting shots, Kopp provides some value as a proven shooter that defenses have to respect. One defender sticking on him provides space for Jalen & Trayce. (Still seems like a waste to not force the issue occasionally.)

eyNyVgSt_normal.png

@daily_hoosier
·
2h
On Zoom with Mike Woodson. On Miller Kopp not getting shots lately: "Guys, they're not leaving him." #iubb

Funk from PSU got off more 3 point shots against us…I believe 8…then Kopp shot in the previous 6 games combined….

Edited by Hoosier987

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Obviously Frazier takes this game against us really personal…even 15 years later. That game in 08 was crazy. If I recall, they had to have extra security around the team and Gordon’s family. Lots of bad stuff was going on in Champaign 

Lots of very bad things. After Sampson flipped Gordon from Illinois to IU, their fanbase went ballistic. Honestly, I get why they were mad but threats and objects being thrown at family members was way over the top. Frazier bringing that back up is classless and inappropriate for someone in a position of leadership. It's not what he should be promoting to his student-athletes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

JV5TADZ8_bigger.jpg

eyNyVgSt_normal.png

@daily_hoosier
·
2h

It’s easy to defend someone standing in the corner. Why would they leave him?

• Like 1