Illinois Pregame Thread

IUFLA

24 minutes ago, rico said:

After trolling the Illinois boards all week, I can't wait to get back to Rupp Rafters...

Screenshot_20230119-101321.thumb.png.594b4cc969115fa9e43918ad5e200dc1.png

I'll tell you something that is "more sad in the Sports World than a team or franchise that had a great level of success and then who slid back into mediocrity."

It's never having won a thing yet thinking somehow your team is among the elite...

That's the most "bitter pill" of all...

As far as "state inferiority complex" what does Illinois really have? Any sporting event that rivals the Indianapolis 500? Have the ever hosted a Super Bowl? Indianapolis has hosted the Final 4 8 times, and is scheduled to host it again in 2026 and 2029...Illinois hasn't hosted a FF since the 50s...

When I say "delusional" I mean it... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll tell you something that is "more sad in the Sports World than a team or franchise that had a great level of success and then who slid back into mediocrity."

It's never having won a thing yet thinking somehow your team is among the elite...

As far as "state inferiority complex" what does Illinois really have? Any sporting event that rivals the Indianapolis 500? Have the ever hosted a Super Bowl? Indianapolis has hosted the Final 4 8 times, and is scheduled to host it again in 2026 and 2029...Illinois hasn't hosted a FF since the 50s...

LMAO. I'll just push the last decade narrative then. Indiana by Indiana standards Indiana has been pretty bad the last decade. In last decade Indiana still has more Big TEN regular season championships and have made it farther in the NCAA tournament than Illinois. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sorry, but taking off the crimson colored glasses…I lived in Madison for 7 years and @Madison22can attest as well that Madison is much more than “meh.” State Street is a 3/4 mile pedestrian only stretch of bars, restaurants and retail shops that makes having a great time both easy and safe. Madison actually has 2 lakes that are embraced year round by residents. Lots more to the city than just campus and downtown, and you really can’t get a good feel in 3 weeks. 

Madison also has a great amount of breweries.  I have been to Madison quite a bit and I would agree it holds up to Bloomington. The downtown farmers market is great.  I was in a wedding on campus as well a few years back and got a great feel for the campus and it felt similar to IU IMO.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Columbus is an ugly ass city

West Lafayette is an ugly ass college town

Bloomington is virtual perfection for a major university.

Edit.  Meant to quote your other post.  No back to back posts allowed.

I would expect nothing less from an IU fan. 

There is nothing like High Street in any  B1G town I’ve been to.

Madison is prettier than Bloomington. But too many weirdos for me.

Charlottesville and Annapolis are the 2 prettiest college towns I’ve visited. 

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Illinois is on the top of someone’s vacation list?

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

this about sums up my feelings. Illinois never registered to me as a rival other than my buddies in college from Chicago trying to tell me it was.

Illinois is no more our rival in basketball than Arkansas is a rival of Alabama football. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Went to Purdue, had friends at IU and Ohio State….Columbus was the most fun of the 3…Maybe too much fun. Neither of my buddies at OSU finished their degree there. 

Sure, it’s a major city more similar to Indianapolis or Louisville than it is to a traditional college town. It has two pro sports teams. But for me personally it’s not where I’d want to go to college… if I’m going to a college in a major city I can do a lot better than Columbus IMO. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I would expect nothing less from an IU fan. 

There is nothing like High Street in any  B1G town I’ve been to.

Madison is prettier than Bloomington. But too many weirdos for me.

Charlottesville and Annapolis are the 2 prettiest college towns I’ve visited. 

Regularly Bloomington and Madison are listed in the "top college towns" lists... I've yet to see a list with WL or Champaign on it. Hell... never seen a list with Columbus on it. 

Columbus is OK, I'm sure. Not much more than that.. it isn't Indy, which is who that city should be compared to, not Bloomington. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Illinois is on the top of someone’s vacation list?

I remember my uncle, who lived in Rantoul, talking the old man into an extended weekend at Lake of the Woods...

We pulled up to it, and my Mom, who rarely cursed, said, "You're shitting me..." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SawatchHoosier said:

LMAO. I'll just push the last decade narrative then. Indiana by Indiana standards Indiana has been pretty bad the last decade. In last decade Indiana still has more Big TEN regular season championships and have made it farther in the NCAA tournament than Illinois. 

So when they make the movie about Illinois basketball, what will they call it? "Illini?" "Suckers?" (They ARE "The Sucker State.")

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Regularly Bloomington and Madison are listed in the "top college towns" lists... I've yet to see a list with WL or Champaign on it. Hell... never seen a list with Columbus on it. 

Columbus is OK, I'm sure. Not much more than that.. it isn't Indy, which is who that city should be compared to, not Bloomington. 

Neither Indy or Bloomington has anything like High Street. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

this about sums up my feelings. Illinois never registered to me as a rival other than my buddies in college from Chicago trying to tell me it was.

Illinois is no more our rival in basketball than Arkansas is a rival of Alabama football. 

Bikoff had a couple of more good ones...