Illinois Pregame Thread

IUFLA

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Screenshot_20230119-101321.thumb.png.594b4cc969115fa9e43918ad5e200dc1.png

I'll tell you something that is "more sad in the Sports World than a team or franchise that had a great level of success and then who slid back into mediocrity."

It's never having won a thing yet thinking somehow your team is among the elite...

That's the most "bitter pill" of all...

As far as "state inferiority complex" what does Illinois really have? Any sporting event that rivals the Indianapolis 500? Have the ever hosted a Super Bowl? Indianapolis has hosted the Final 4 8 times, and is scheduled to host it again in 2026 and 2029...Illinois hasn't hosted a FF since the 50s...

When I say "delusional" I mean it... 

It gets scary with them. Being a native the level of just plain dumb is deep as it relates to Illinois basketball that I've witnessed over the years/decades. I could go on and on. Why bother. 

In terms of the inferiority complex? I think that stopped around 2000 when Indy started  boat racing Chicago for any and all events....but that's just a city by city comparison. In terms of collegiate sports inferiority complex? Illinois and Purdue are 1 and 1A for the most insecure fanbases going and they both have always tried to make their bones or heighten their status off of IU. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but when I was in college I remember so many University of Illinois students coming to visit their friends in Bloomington. Yet, I don't remember many heading over to Champaign to hang out for the weekend. I wonder why? 

Actually, I know exactly why according to some of these IL friends...

-we had the girls

-we had more fun

-we had little 5

Too bad we have a state inferiority complex tho 😢. WTF is that anyway? I'm not sure I ever felt jealous that someone was from another state.....with the exception of Hawaii. SCREW THOSE LUCKY BASTARDS!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe it's just me, but when I was in college I remember so many University of Illinois students coming to visit their friends in Bloomington. Yet, I don't remember many heading over to Champaign to hang out for the weekend. I wonder why? 

Actually, I know exactly why according to some of these IL friends...

-we had the girls

-we had more fun

-we had little 5

Too bad we have a state inferiority complex tho 😢. WTF is that anyway? I'm not sure I ever felt jealous that someone was from another state.....with the exception of Hawaii. SCREW THOSE LUCKY BASTARDS!

Illinois had Sunday 🍺 

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

IU students I would expect to be professional drinkers who always planned for dry Sunday back in the day.  I know I did.

One dry day is just the responsible thing to do. 😆

Plus, you had Monday all night happy hour Kilroys, half-priced wine at Crazy Horse on Tuesdays, $.15 drafts at the Bird on Wednesdays, Karaoke at bears on Thursdays and then it's the weekend. The restaurants even respected dry Sunday - you had to be somewhat sober for Sopranos!

No wonder I can't remember what I learned in college. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, not very confident about this one.  If we were full strength, I would have put our chances at about 80%.  Unfortnately, as it is, I place those odds more like 30%.

We need JHS to be the best player on the floor tonight.  TJD is going to get 20/10 win or lose, but for us to win, JHS has to be special.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

To re-cap:

A poster from Purdue comes to an Illinois thread on an Indiana board to convince someone from Madison Wisconsin why Ohio State is better than Purdue.

4ea.jpg

Well said.

Regarding tonight, we need an above average performance by IU and or a sub par performance by IL.

I said the same thing prior to WI and we got both. Tonight our margin for error is a little less. If we duplicate our game from last Sat, IL will need their A game to win. We are due to get some 3s falling, Foul trouble among the bigs will be something to keep an eye on. Can't afford 2 quick ones on TJD. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

bullet points 2 and 4 are embarrassing.  

Is there actually a narrative that TJD hasn't gotten better? My lord. He has improved quite a bit each season at IU. 

LOL TJD this year is averaging 18 points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks a game in conference play. I guess TJD was averaging a triple double last year and I forgot about it.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It gets scary with them. Being a native the level of just plain dumb is deep as it relates to Illinois basketball that I've witnessed over the years/decades. I could go on and on. Why bother. 

Rumor has it the Illinois State Farm Center is a UFO abandoned by aliens who couldn't bare the thought of returning a place devoid of intelligent life forms.

image.png.c2c7ad6589f343a75e822eef708b51cd.png

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sorry, but taking off the crimson colored glasses…I lived in Madison for 7 years and @Madison22can attest as well that Madison is much more than “meh.” State Street is a 3/4 mile pedestrian only stretch of bars, restaurants and retail shops that makes having a great time both easy and safe. Madison actually has 2 lakes that are embraced year round by residents. Lots more to the city than just campus and downtown, and you really can’t get a good feel in 3 weeks. 

Maybe you have to be there more, but I thought it was kind of pedestrian.  State St. is a longer Kirkwood and wasn't really any more walkable than that area.  The bars closed at like 2 and when I say closed, the lights came on and it was "everybody out".  The location of the lakes around campus helps I suppose but it isn't like you have to travel far to get to that in Bloomington.

Maybe you have to be there awhile to get into the spirit of things, but to me it was just ok and not anything to really write home about.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Well said.

Regarding tonight, we need an above average performance by IU and or a sub par performance by IL.

I said the same thing prior to WI and we got both. Tonight our margin for error is a little less. If we duplicate our game from last Sat, IL will need their A game to win. We are due to get some 3s falling, Foul trouble among the bigs will be something to keep an eye on. Can't afford 2 quick ones on TJD. 

One thing that I've watched from Illinois over the years is their inability to handle the high ball screens.....as well as doing kind of what Wisconsin does which is a drop defense after screens.. We'll see what happens tonight but if they do that drop after high ball screen or even middle ball screen.....JHS could have 35 himself tonight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Honestly, not very confident about this one.  If we were full strength, I would have put our chances at about 80%.  Unfortnately, as it is, I place those odds more like 30%.

We need JHS to be the best player on the floor tonight.  TJD is going to get 20/10 win or lose, but for us to win, JHS has to be special.

I hope Kopp goes off from behind the arc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

As far as "state inferiority complex" what does Illinois really have? Any sporting event that rivals the Indianapolis 500? Have the ever hosted a Super Bowl? Indianapolis has hosted the Final 4 8 times, and is scheduled to host it again in 2026 and 2029...Illinois hasn't hosted a FF since the 50s...

🤣🤣🤣...hard to imagine anyone living in that armpit saying "state inferiority complex" with a straight face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

One dry day is just the responsible thing to do. 😆

Plus, you had Monday all night happy hour Kilroys, half-priced wine at Crazy Horse on Tuesdays, $.15 drafts at the Bird on Wednesdays, Karaoke at bears on Thursdays and then it's the weekend. The restaurants even respected dry Sunday - you had to be somewhat sober for Sopranos!

No wonder I can't remember what I learned in college. 

Man if you were at IU when I was there I gurantee we saw each other frequently 😆.  We knew all the specials around town.  Margarita Wednesday at Texas Roadhouse was a hidden gem of cheap drinks and free rolls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

When I was at IU, the only time anyone went to Illinois was to buy pure grain alcohol for a hairy buffalo party. It was always the guy with the fastest car. 

• Haha 1