It's Tax Time....yuck!

DWB

When I had my own business, a client of mine had a form of identity theft that many don't realize can happen. Someone filed a tax return using his SS#. When he went to file his own taxes, they were rejected because his identity had already been stolen. It took him the better part of 2 years to get it cleared up, not to mention the countless hours of work and frustration.

I came across a great video on how you can prevent this for yourselves. I was unaware that you could even do this (800,000 people had their identities stolen on their tax returns last year alone). I would strongly urge all of you to watch this video and take steps to prevent your identities from being used, or stolen.

I went thru the process and obtained mine. Not difficult, just a little tedious.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

When I had my own business, a client of mine had a form of identity theft that many don't realize can happen. Someone filed a tax return using his SS#. When he went to file his own taxes, they were rejected because his identity had already been stolen. It took him the better part of 2 years to get it cleared up, not to mention the countless hours of work and frustration.

I came across a great video on how you can prevent this for yourselves. I was unaware that you could even do this (800,000 people had their identities stolen on their tax returns last year alone). I would strongly urge all of you to watch this video and take steps to prevent your identities from being used, or stolen.

I went thru the process and obtained mine. Not difficult, just a little tedious.

Why does this video require my SSN?

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm tempted to quit filing my 1040. I've got my exemptions set to where I owe/they owe near zero. 

If they keep going on money printing binges like a drunken prostitute we turn into Zimbabwe or the Weimar Republic and it won't matter anyway. 

They are the ones that want MY money.  Let those bastards put in the work if they want it that bad, I'm tired of wasting my time on their paperwork.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 8:17 AM, Lostin76 said:

I always wait until the last day. They are not getting my money even one day earlier than the deadline. 

And I ALWAYS make sure I have to pay them a little, and not get a refund, which is just another way of saying "I made them an interest free loan for 18 months".

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DWB said:

And I ALWAYS make sure I have to pay them a little, and not get a refund, which is just another way of saying "I made them an interest free loan for 18 months".

This for sure. I always used to love getting a big refund until I realize I was just overpaying them and floating them a loan. Now we usually owe quite a bit, so they can wait. 

21 hours ago, DWB said:

Same. Early on when I started my business I always paid extra on quarterlies just to hit the pillow each night with a clear head. Took me about 2 trips around the sun to say screw this. Found a narrow window where I could pay quarterlies combined with deductions, payroll,etc....that met perfectly if I was having a typical year. 

2020 was a fun year for taxes. Dear IRS. I made nothing. Thank you Covid. 

I’ve only used a tax service a couple of times in my life, but think after two life change events last year I may need help. Have some work income but mostly SS since I retired, also relocated to a different state. Just preliminarily I doubt I would even have to do my taxes but the relocation complicates things.

I'm a small business owner so I can't do my own taxes any longer and need an accountant to do it for me - which is sad, because I am a nerd and I always loved doing my taxes.  We have some paperwork issues we have to sort out with IRS, which in years past was always ridiculously painful, but I remember reading a stray headline that wait times were drastically down.  Here's to hoping...

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:30 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm a small business owner so I can't do my own taxes any longer and need an accountant to do it for me - which is sad, because I am a nerd and I always loved doing my taxes.  We have some paperwork issues we have to sort out with IRS, which in years past was always ridiculously painful, but I remember reading a stray headline that wait times were drastically down.  Here's to hoping...

"Forever" divided by 2, is still Forever.

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2023 at 11:45 AM, Drroogh said:

Well crap, now that I’m retired I fall into the category of not having to pay taxes!! I hate being associated with the people that don’t pay taxes but are more than happy to vote for more handouts!😫

Look at it this way. You paid SSI and Medicare tax to pay for the freeloaders before you. Now it's your turn.  Suckle away without shame🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1