Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Just now, tdhoosier said:

If I was betting, I definitely think Woody starts Geronimo. lol. 

My concern is that Hauser moves well without the ball and Geronimo has a tendency to get lost. 

Overall though, I think we match up pretty well against MSU. 

Very true...

He lost Hawkins once on the baseline for a resounding dunk...I'll bet he heard about that last night...and today...and tomorrow :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

MSU usually plays 8 deep, but with Hall out for them, it will be a little tricky. Also,  Hoggard and Sissoko seems to be in foul trouble with them

I see teams sagging way off the Holloman kid...so I'm thinking his shot isn't very good...He's pretty good on the drive though...Pierre Brooks can hit the 3 ball pretty well though...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

As good as Geronimo has been playing, I'm not sure I like him matched up on Hauser. 

I wonder about putting Bates in to start (instead of Geronimo) and putting Gallo on Hauser. 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...I think Hauser is perfect for Geronimo...Not a real dribble drive guy...Not overly athletic...Not a great post up guy...He's a spot up shooter, good rebounder, and is excellent from the FT line...

Geronimo is going to start...I've watched Woody too much to think he's going to bend to counter the other team...I know Geronimo looked a bit gimpy (hip?) during some of the game, but he was in there at the end...

I'm going to straddle the fence on this one.  I agree with tdhoosier that this is a bad matchup for Geronimo.  I can see Hauser baiting him into fouls and, of course, he will pull him away from the basket where Geronimo is more comfortable defensively.

I stop short, however, of suggesting Bates starts in his place.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I see teams sagging way off the Holloman kid...so I'm thinking his shot isn't very good...He's pretty good on the drive though...Pierre Brooks can hit the 3 ball pretty well though...

That’s the problem I have with MSU, they have like 3-4 players that shoot the 3 ball extremely well. Walker is going to be a very big problem for us 

Edited by Hoosierfan1901

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If we see the same effort and intensity we have seen the past two games, we should be more than fine.

Be real nice to get the whistle Illinois got last night.  We have to be the beneficiary of that nonsense at some point right?....Right!?

I will say that between Gallo, Malik and Geronimo we make some pretty bad/unnecessary fouls. Those contribute a lot to our deficit. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

ESPN currently gives us an 80% chance to win

That would be nice, if it really mattered. They gave ILL a 65% chance of beating us and look what happened. If we come out with same intensity/focus we had against WIS and ILL, we’ll be fine, if not, watch out - it could be NW all over again.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

You must make the sacrifice

jartan77

I agree with the second sentence. I don't with the first. IU's guards are NOT crap/trash, they are talented but young and inconsistent. They played pretty good last night, and beat Illinois, In the Illini Assembly Hall, by 15. I said earlier in another thread, I hope they got that all out of their system last night, and lay an egg Sunday against us, as they have been doing in many games this season. Key Word, Inconsistent. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocLates, you never know what you'll get.

• Haha 2

Hope the kids took a few hours to check their names on social media and all the love. Now back to the grind. I think I was hoodwinked early on with Izzo. Liked him because I had a soft spot for Spartans because of Skiles who I loved.  Besides the team up the road and the team we dismantled last night.....there isn't one team I like to beat more than Sparty. 

All gas no brakes on this momentum. Keep it going until Purdue comes calling. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rico said:

jartan77

I agree with the second sentence. I don't with the first. IU's guards are NOT crap/trash, they are talented but young and inconsistent. They played pretty good last night, and beat Illinois, In the Illini Assembly Hall, by 15. I said earlier in another thread, I hope they got that all out of their system last night, and lay an egg Sunday against us, as they have been doing in many games this season. Key Word, Inconsistent. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocLates, you never know what you'll get.

Me last night watching the Indiana guard play. 

BreakableJollyGalah-mobile.mp4

Big game against a big time program. Nice that we had a warmup against a bottom feeder earlier this week.

If we play like we have the last two, we should win. We need everyone to be engaged and playing their butts off, then let TJD and JHS lead the offense. Would love to see some shots fall for Kopp, Bates, etc, especially at home.

At this point, all of our goals are still in reach even with the two and a half game period of ineptitude. We have taken away almost all of our margin for error because of that, but we still have as much talent as any team in the Big Ten. Time to go take it from the league.

And I can’t end a post about MSU without reminding everyone Tom Izzo is a piece of trash and a terrible human. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

If anybody remembers, our only meeting with Sparty last year was the game after the Windy City 5 debacle... Parker Stewart got benched in favor of Galloway...

We shot 34% from the field and 24% from 3. Trayce had a mediocre game (17 points on 5-13 from the field).

Only bright spot was Tamar garnering 13 off the bench...

Malik Hall (not playing tomorrow) led Sparty with 18... Hoggard and Walker had 29 points between them... Hauser had 5 points... 

• Thanks 3