Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

5 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Do they double TJD? I would assume yes but they didn’t double Edey. Then again, PU has more 3pt threats not to leave open. I say they double and dare someone other than Kopp to hit 3’a and I have a gut feel that Bates steps up to the challenge tomorrow

Good question. Trayce and Geronimo have been working a pretty nice two man game and TJD has been passing well.  Hopefully they keep that going as it expands our options for dealing with different defenses.  JG has rediscovered his role and has been diving toward the basket pretty well.  

Underwood was mad that they weren’t doubling TJD and JG  was still scoring.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I was told by a little birdie that Underwood asked one of the officials what they were supposed to do if TJD was allowed to just back down his guys. The official said, “I don’t know Brad. I don’t make $5M a year. Maybe make him go right or double him”. 🤣🤣

Damned funny if true.

Wrestling iny head with these matchups...

Trayce-Sissoko is a given...

But who best for Hauser? Geronimo? Kopp?

Of the 3 guards they start, Walker and Akins are very quick, and Hoggard just a step behind. Akins and Walker are over 40% from 3, and all 3 have a good pull-up game, and will drive it to the hoop...

Walker in particular can get crazy hot and keep them in a game, like he did against Purdue...

So I think Trey on Akins, JHS on Walker, and whoever doesn't guard Hauser on Hoggard... You can sag on him a bit because he's just over 30% from 3...

Be interesting to see how Woody plays it... 

Edited by IUFLA

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wrestling iny head with these matchups...

Trayce-Sissoko is a given...

But who best for Hauser? Geronimo? Kopp?

Of the 3 guards they start, Walker and Akins are very quick, and Hoggard just a step behind. Akins and Walker are over 40% from 3, and all 3 have a good pull-up game, and will drive it to the hoop...

Walker in particular can get crazy hot and keep them in a game, like he did against Purdue...

So I think Trey on Akins, JHS on Walker, and whoever doesn't guard Hauser on Hoggard... You can sag on him a bit because he's just over 30% from 3...

Be interesting to see how Woody plays it... 

The italics answered the bold. JG is guarding the more post player, and Kopp is guarding whoever is more perimeter oriented. 

JG losing Hauser on the off glass and losing him on the perimeter are things we can't have today. 

I think Kopp will guard Hoggard. Kopp will have 3-4 inches on him. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The italics answered the bold. JG is guarding the more post player, and Kopp is guarding whoever is more perimeter oriented. 

JG losing Hauser on the off glass and losing him on the perimeter are things we can't have today. 

I think Kopp will guard Hoggard. Kopp will have 3-4 inches on him. 

Kopp will guard Houser and Gally will guard walker and JHS will guard Hoggard. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Sorry, I hate getting into matchup talks. Defense is rarely 1 on 1. It's complete team/scheme concept. 

I understand...but to me it's fun to talk about...

And I do value the input of the coaches (like you) on the subject...

Just conversation chaff...