Minnesota Post Game

ButlerHoosier

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As much as there is to criticize, these are the games we have lost over the last few years. No artistic points. Just another W .

Try not to make more out of this than we won. Try looking at the bright side that we won.

Like the fact our team defense was excellent. Held then under 60 (even while turning it over 10 times and and giving up 8 steals), very few uncontested shots. 

Gophers played their guts out. As some others have said, how many IU teams in recent years would have crumbled in games like this? This one leaned on their strength (defense) and found a way to win.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Bingo. YAZ brings a ton to our program and by all accounts is playing his role very well.

Eating our own like this is not a good look imo. Especially towards a guy filling in a role he has zero experience with.

He is a solid assistant coach. He gives us his best efforts.

Appreciate him., let's move on.

YAZ?  What does an English synth band from the 80's bring to IU 🤪

Vince_Clarke_and_Alison_Moyet_of_Yazoo_(1982).jpg.7b9064a01e51c114ae525ac0337861e7.jpg

Just now, BGleas said:

Ya just gave a good explanation on Reneau in the post-game. He said Minny went small and was attacking Reneau, so he pulled Reneau out and pulled him aside and told him he isn't doing anything wrong but we needed to stay smaller so we can switch everything. 

Honestly, that's good coaching and switching everything was a big reason we won. 

The best part is communicating with Malik.

Good decision or not, that's solid awareness to speak with the player about it.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Ya just gave a good explanation on Reneau in the post-game. He said Minny went small and was attacking Reneau, so he pulled Reneau out and pulled him aside and told him he isn't doing anything wrong but we needed to stay smaller so we can switch everything. 

Honestly, that's good coaching and switching everything was a big reason we won. 

He also said Walsh was doing the subbing he was just coaching.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can't remember who was in there with Malik in the 2nd half, or who Minny had on the floor...

But I'll rewatch tomorrow... Winning on the road takes a lot out of us older fellas 😉

Ya just said in the postgame he pulled him because Manny went small and were driving him....

I don't have an issue with that, I have an issue with Race being the answer to that though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

That’s good reasoning and I like the logic behind the decision. I just don’t think Race is back 100% (or at least it doesn’t look like it). Someone mentioned in the game thread his lateral quickness isn’t quite there and I agree. Malik isn’t quick either but I would’ve liked to see more utilization.

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

That’s good reasoning and I like the logic behind the decision. I just don’t think Race is back 100% (or at least it doesn’t look like it). Someone mentioned in the game thread his lateral quickness isn’t quite there and I agree. Malik isn’t quick either but I would’ve liked to see more utilization.

I thought Race looked fine laterally. It's just his lift that isn't there. 

I agree that Thompson got too many minutes and also didn't think he should start. 

Just saying there wasn't some coaching malpractice by Ya. 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The best part is communicating with Malik.

Good decision or not, that's solid awareness to speak with the player about it.

Agree, and I don't think the decision to not play Malik was bad with that rationale. It's the going to Race, who isn't in basketball shape and is no better equipped to play small ball.

If our answer is to match them going small, play Miller Kopp at the 4. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Not sure why Coach YA is on blast in here. The guy has NEVER coached and got caught up watching i'm guessing. Not used to the stubbing. Showed he isnt close to being ready to lead. That being said, We won not at our best, ON THE ROAD.

I honestly loved his post game comment...25 better players in the draft you can kiss my a--.....my 81 year old aunt just texted saying I like that guy. Hahaha

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Agree, and I don't think the decision to not play Malik was bad with that rationale. It's the going to Race, who isn't in basketball shape and is no better equipped to play small ball.

If our answer is to match them going small, play Miller Kopp at the 4. 

Agree Thompson played too many minutes, but he is better equipped than Reneau to play that type of defense. 

I like Reneau but he gets blown by a lot and gets called for a ton of fouls. 

Like the idea of Kopp at the 4. But, defense wasn't really the issue, we held them below 60 so it worked. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Bingo. YAZ brings a ton to our program and by all accounts is playing his role very well.

Eating our own like this is not a good look imo. Especially towards a guy filling in a role he has zero experience with.

He is a solid assistant coach. He gives us his best efforts.

Appreciate him., let's move on.

Didn't Ya say that today was his 23rd birthday. 23

....TWENTY FREAKING THREE (this can't be right, do I need better hearing aids?)

coaching a B1G conference game.

AHH HELL NO. looking back of course, when I was 23 I knew EVERYTHING, how about you... all?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Do you need the hearing connect link? Maybe even the "don't shit on your own" link. C'mon man. you couldn't have just moved on past commenting? No, you had to throw some stones. Go get your mind right bro. 

I'm stone sober.   Entitled to my own opinion just like you.  Probably wasn't his best material.  But I still got a chuckle.  Loosen your feathers.  We won.  4 game win streak and heading home.  

• Like 1