Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

I don't think we had one ayer who I thought played real well.  TJD had the numbers but I just didn't feel he played as good tonight as he had on the past 5 games.  He turned the ball over and missed a lot of inside shots and didn't notice him on the defensive end.  Besides TJD no one else played well at all and a lot of no shows.

What is bad is that Maryland didn't really play well either but they played harder and with more energy. To me besides Purdue the rest of the big ten is filled with a lot of average to mediocre teams. When the second place team is 7-4 you know you don't have many great teams

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Gap between second half foul calls on Maryland.  the Reese foul was teh last called against Maryland,  So, 2 fouls in the final 13 and a half minutes.  

image.png.b187d0e621c13cad0e296cf79c945564.png

image.png.344349916c3e52e77bd2917cee1ea8f3.png

Just absolutely insane. Again, it's not like we're some high volume perimeter team. Almost all of our shots are in the paint. 

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

It's not just the fouls they called against us.  It's the fouls that they didn't call against Maryland.  And, the discrepancy puts our key players on the bench, while it allows Maryland's to stay on the floor.  

The Hollywood Upstairs Medical College equivalent For officials only sends their best. Its why the big 10 hires them

The BS double dribble 

how is the smack to Kopp not an F1.  He got slapped in the face by a guy running away no reason to swing his arm. 
Reece is a walking foul And TJD got no calls driving

poor shooting and passing didn’t help. Played bad. Bad officiating and still had some chances.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can't win when JHS goes 1-for-14, we don't finish around the rim, and we don't really force any live balk turnovers. 

With that said, the officiating also was a major cause of deciding that game. There's a reason not finishing around the rim killed us but didn't really hurt Maryland at all and the answer is in the free throw attempts discrepancy. 

I’d be surprised if any team has ever won a game at this level with a 1-14 night from their PG. It’s a staggering stat line. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's not just the fouls they called against us.  It's the fouls that they didn't call against Maryland.  And, the discrepancy puts our key players on the bench, while it allows Maryland's to stay on the floor.  

That leads to part of my point. IU didn't play well tonight, no disputing that. 

But, Maryland was also really bad.

It wasn't like Maryland played well either. The only major discrepancy was free throw attempts, and this is against a team in IU that plays almost exclusively in the paint vs a team that took 12 more three attempts. 

It doesn't add up. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I agree, but I also don't understand how our guards don't force the issue when they're pressing with 13 minutes to go and we are in the bonus. I don't remember us even trying to draw a foul when they were over aggressive trapping.

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I agree, but I also don't understand how our guards don't force the issue when they're pressing with 13 minutes to go and we are in the bonus. I don't remember us even trying to draw a foul when they were over aggressive trapping.

That’s because we didn’t. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think we had one ayer who I thought played real well.  TJD had the numbers but I just didn't feel he played as good tonight as he had on the past 5 games.  He turned the ball over and missed a lot of inside shots and didn't notice him on the defensive end.  Besides TJD no one else played well at all and a lot of no shows.

What is bad is that Maryland didn't really play well either but they played harder and with more energy. To me besides Purdue the rest of the big ten is filled with a lot of average to mediocre teams. When the second place team is 7-4 you know you don't have many great teams

TJD was doubled most of the night, and still had 18 and 20….just no help. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree completely. We just let them dictate the tempo, which is always a losing recipe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To be fair, though, you’d think that someone other than TJD would show up more frequently. I mean, he can’t possibly put up 30/20 performances consistently. I agree that Maryland played with much more energy. Playing at home will give you an extra boost. They’re tough, and winning on the road is difficult.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One key no call was when we cut it to 54-49 and JHS drove the lane and got clobbered but no call. After that we couldn't get any closer. It just seemed like things were off tonight and it looked like we couldn't even catch the ball cleanly.

Yeah that was a very clear foul

• Like 1