Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

Just got home from the rock fight. Yuck. What a terrible game. We played some brilliant ball for about 4 minutes. The rest was just awful to watch on both sides. 

My major concern is that guard play like this is an absolute death wish when tournament time gets here. Better clean something up soon, and hope XJ gets up to speed quickly when he gets back. 

In the end, it’s a road loss and not an entirely unexpected one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Guys on Assembly Call said they heard people talking about how Woodson talks to officials is a problem. They said that Woodson being from the NBA and how they talk to officials might be effecting how IU games are being called.

I don't know.  Although CMW may jaw on the officials, he doesn't explode on them like Fran and Izzo showing them up to the crowd.  I mean what do NBA coaches say to the refs, "Your mama is ugly and wears combat boots"?

I think this team does need to learn to play defense without fouling so much.  It's not just the refs.  Prior to the Maryland game IU committed 180 fouls in 10 B1G games compared to 151 for the opponents.  The 180 was 13th in the B1G.That's 1.8 to 1.5 a game.  I used the conference stats because I wanted to leave out the cream puffs.  Of course, it's worse after this game.

I think JHS has to go back to basics when he's not shooting well and concentrate on his primary job of making sure the offense is running well and go from there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

They said something like Woodson talks down to them like he is better since he came from the NBA.

Oh boo freaking hoo. 
the officiating show grow thicker skin and do their damn job.  

That makes this look even worse for the big 10.  

these officials have that much of a god/superiority complex that they cant handle someone questioning them?

then they should be fired because they are not cut out to be officials 

people come to watch the players play, not for the officiating crews to be the “stars”

Edited by IU247
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Apologies gang. One of the worst predictions ever. 

I will say this though. This was just a bad game. Difference I know is a good team just has a bad game and that's what this one was...just a bad game. Throw the tape in the garbage and get ready for Saturday.

Don't feel bad Yogi has your back.

He says, "Predictions are really hard because they're about the future."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

Guard play really terrible tonight.

Came here to only post this. Name a guard, worst game of the year for them. This was the difference. Not because we missed players or we got called for more fouls because our guards only grab and hold. Its because they were out played. Maryland isnt good after watching that mess.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

I don't know.  Although CMW may jaw on the officials, he doesn't explode on them like Fran and Izzo showing them up to the crowd.  I mean what do NBA coaches say to the refs, "Your mama is ugly and wears combat boots"?

I think this team does need to learn to play defense without fouling so much.  It's not just the refs.  Prior to the Maryland game IU committed 180 fouls in 10 B1G games compared to 151 for the opponents.  The 180 was 13th in the B1G.That's 1.8 to 1.5 a game.  I used the conference stats because I wanted to leave out the cream puffs.  Of course, it's worse after this game.

I think JHS has to go back to basics when he's not shooting well and concentrate on his primary job of making sure the offense is running well and go from there.

Our guards play d with their hands not their feet. Every time a guy blows by them, which is often, they grab. easy call to make. we have slow guards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Don't buy it. But if it is true, that just makes The Big Ten look even worse. IMO that's a major conference problem, not a Woodson problem. 

Yep, a call should be a call.  

It is bad enough when you have your own struggles but being in this league is detrimental to the program in every way but money IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What in the world are they basing that on? He may talk down to them because they're awful, probably not because he came from the NBA. 

Refs: "Woodson talks down on us.  Not like the other guys in this league."

Woodson:  "Come on son, that was a sh*t call.  You just let the guy get away with that on the other end.  You are d*mn better than that."

Fran:  (Running onto the court waving his arms like a lunatic)  WTF WAS THAT!  THAT'S F---ING BS.  HOW THE F---CAN YOU MAKE THAT CALL.  YOU SON OF A B----."  (Goes after other team's assistant coach and almost starts a fight)

Refs:  "We just don't like the way Woodson talks down on us...."

The Big Ten is a joke of a league.  All the money in the world and running a clown show of an operation.  Take a few million dollars out of those contracts and pay people with some real freaking accountability.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Came here to only post this. Name a guard, worst game of the year for them. This was the difference. Not because we missed players or we got called for more fouls because our guards only grab and hold. Its because they were out played. Maryland isnt good after watching that mess.

There are a bunch of BIG teams that gave inflated records because of the disparity in how games are called.  They aren't suddenly a better team at home.  They were a very similar team to what we were last night when we were admittedly playing poorly.  They were physical, we were physical.  They got a double digit boost that doesn't require any reading the tea leaves to see.  It is right there in foul discrepancy.

If that game is called straight up, they have to bench people for foul trouble like we did and the game is much tighter.  The Big Ten thinks they are doing good with this nonsense because if they have a bunch of teams right around .500, then they maybe sneak 1 or 2 extra teams into the tournament.  Yay money.  The problem is that it ends up impacting the seeding of the whole league.  Say Indiana is a 5 or 6 seed if the games are called straight up and Maryland is a bubble team.  The Big Ten thinks it is better to get Maryland in as a 10 seed and Indiana as an 8 or 9 than it is to get the 6 seed.  I don't.  It sets both teams up for early round exits.  "You have to beat the best to be the best...."  No, no you don't.  It is a one and out tournament.  So much of it is luck of the draw and how you are playing on that day.  Lower seeds mean less margin of error when you are doing the latter and less likely to have luck go your way in earlier rounds because 1's, 2's, and 3's are less likely to have slip ups than 5's and 6's and 7-10's are usually all similar toss up type of teams.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Guys on Assembly Call said they heard people talking about how Woodson talks to officials is a problem. They said that Woodson being from the NBA and how they talk to officials might be effecting how IU games are being called.

This is hilarious. I've heard it all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

One of those things you rattled off is directly related to another.  Our guard play was bad, in part, because we were missing our Senior point guard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Our guards play d with their hands not their feet. Every time a guy blows by them, which is often, they grab. easy call to make. we have slow guards.

To a degree, I agree...but a few things:

1.  Based on the games I have watched, so does nearly every other team in the league.  Maryland last night for instance was running a full court press and they were handchecking and grabbing for 3/4 of the court on every play where they could set up the press.  Every one.  Same for drives into the lane. 

2.  The Big Ten is a "rough" league where the officials encourage that type of play by how they call games.  Then they apply those calls unevenly.  Even in non-Indiana games, the home team is allowed way too much leeway when the style of play between the two is similar enough to be indistinguishable.

3.  This argument would be easier to buy if we were getting similar calls when our guards are doing the blowing by and getting grabbed.  We generally don't.

4.  I think quite a bit of the grabbing that happens on our team is because of the high illegal screens that the league allows, at least from what I have seen.  70% of the high ball screens in this league involve the screener sticking his ass out or some other body part at the last minute to bump the defender.  It happens quite a bit and to me it adds to the whole "rough" league thing.  I don't have time to watch many games outside the BIG so not sure how other leagues are calling that, but those high screens would lead to a whole bunch of fouls if it was only called a third of the time I see the guy setting the screen leaning into the defender to create more contact.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Woodys fault for not "reigning" in JHS? .. maybe that would hold some weight if TG wasn't in foul trouble or XJ wasn't hurt. Basically every look JHS got last night was average or above. 

All of them were playing bad, so limited options.  I just think he pushed too much.  He did the same thing against Minnesota and we got away with it because they are really bad.  When he is having a shooting night like last night, he shouldn't have the highest volume of shots on the team (or near it).

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

All of them were playing bad, so limited options.  I just think he pushed too much.  He did the same thing against Minnesota and we got away with it because they are really bad.  When he is having a shooting night like last night, he shouldn't have the highest volume of shots on the team (or near it).

Meh. Jalen has to hit shots. He got great looks all night. He has to convert, especially the way they played Trayce. He should never pass one up or pass one up that we have "worked" to get. 

I think, basically, every shot he took was a good shot or in the flow of our offense. 

He's forced some in games before. I didn't really see that last night.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And we just played a team with a coach brand new to the league that doesn't have relationships built with the refs.  

marytfs.jpg

Call it whining, bias, whatever, but I look at that chart and well, it is hard not to draw the most obvious conclusion from it.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Meh. Jalen has to hit shots. He got great looks all night. He has to convert, especially the way they played Trayce. He should never pass one up or pass one up that we have "worked" to get. 

I think, basically, every shot he took was a good shot or in the flow of our offense. 

He's forced some in games before. I didn't really see that last night.  

He was 1-14.  At a certain point you have to realize you don't have it.  The difference between he and Galloway/Bates is that the other two weren't throwing up junk all night.  JHS could be our alpha next year, but he isn't this year.  I see about 6 missed opportunities in that stat to get the ball to TJD.

Yeah, he has to convert, but he wasn't.  So at a certain point those shots he was putting up were basically turnovers.

That being said, more than any game this year, the officiating was such a huge impact on the outcome IMO that it is hard to truly judge how much he hurt us last night.