Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Lotta things went wrong...

Willard used the Penn State model to beat us... Token pressure and changing defenses. They doubled Trayce every time he got it in the low block. I would imagine that's not the last time we'll see that strategy employed.

Jalen did have a bad shooting game, and I think that lead to other mistakes. He just looked uneasy out there. And his misses all seemed to be long. I'd never tell the kid to not shoot the ball though. Confidence thing.

We just didn't play well. At one point we were up 7, but unlike what we've seen in the recent past, we didn't build on it or at least sustain it.

And though the refs were terrible, we hit a few more shots and it's our game...

Sometimes that happens in basketball... 

Yup, and this game is the epitome of why we need XJ back to fully be complete. We can win games without him, but to be our best we need him. 

We need a 2nd ball handler against that token press. We need another perimeter player that can get to the basket and create. 

We need another guard that can apply pressure and stay infront of top guards defensively. 

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Another game we win with XJ. 

Maybe.  The fouls are the ultimate X factor though.  XJ has a tendency to 

1.  Get called for a bunch of those touch/grabbing fouls and 

2. Let the officiating really bother him.

We played them pretty even in my opinion even having a really off game.  XJ would have helped with ball handling and such and on a neutral court, with him, I think we are double digits better than Maryland 80% of the time.  I just can't shake the way the game was called though.  XJ would have been in foul trouble all night IMO.

Edited by IUCrazy2

From what I saw last night, they used token full court pressure to take a good 8 seconds off the shot clock, pretty much on every possession. Then, we're working the ball around to get it to TJD in the post, the double/triple comes, and by that point, you're under 10 seconds on the shot clock and rushing things a bit. I believe Iowa employed a similar strategy.

Dunno what the fix is for that if we're not going to try breaking that press quickly and getting easy scores off of it, especially without XJ. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

From what I saw last night, they used token full court pressure to take a good 8 seconds off the shot clock, pretty much on every possession. Then, we're working the ball around to get it to TJD in the post, the double/triple comes, and by that point, you're under 10 seconds on the shot clock and rushing things a bit. I believe Iowa employed a similar strategy.

Dunno what the fix is for that if we're not going to try breaking that press quickly and getting easy scores off of it, especially without XJ. 

IMO, we needed another ball handler in the middle, around half court, against that press. Get it middle and push the pace against numbers in your favor to get easy baskets. 

A few times we put Race there, but he's not great in that spot and turned it over or made the wrong decision. 

But, you have to create numbers to get easy baskets and ultimately force them out of that press. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

100% should have been a flagrant against Smith. what got bates in trouble was the rule interpretation of unnecessary roughness and the guy falling like he got exploded by a landmine.  Bates did get the ball but it wasn't surprising that they got the call.  

It was a terrible call. I get the call in real time but they have the benefit of replay, where you could see his left arm was making a basketball play and his right arm didn’t actually grab him when it went around him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It was a terrible call. I get the call in real time but they have the benefit of replay, where you could see his left arm was making a basketball play and his right arm didn’t actually grab him when it went around him.

It's almost stupid how we've gotten the short end of the stick on flagrant fouls and technicals this season. 

JHS has literally gotten hit in the face/head numerous times and no flagrant. JG gets a T for throwing the ball to a ref, yet Fran and his son go ballistic and approach our sideline and nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lotta things went wrong...

Willard used the Penn State model to beat us... Token pressure and changing defenses. They doubled Trayce every time he got it in the low block. I would imagine that's not the last time we'll see that strategy employed.

Jalen did have a bad shooting game, and I think that lead to other mistakes. He just looked uneasy out there. And his misses all seemed to be long. I'd never tell the kid to not shoot the ball though. Confidence thing.

We just didn't play well. At one point we were up 7, but unlike what we've seen in the recent past, we didn't build on it or at least sustain it.

And though the refs were terrible, we hit a few more shots and it's our game...

Sometimes that happens in basketball... 

I think the quickness of Young got in his head. He’s not used to it and he does such a good job of playing calm and at his pace, but I think he got sped up mentally a little. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's almost stupid how we've gotten the short end of the stick on flagrant fouls and technicals this season. 

JHS has literally gotten hit in the face/head numerous times and no flagrant. JG gets a T for throwing the ball to a ref, yet Fran and his son go ballistic and approach our sideline and nothing. 

The tech on X where the ref got in his face on the bench, the Malik flop, whoever got the tech against Xavier

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

IMO, we needed another ball handler in the middle, around half court, against that press. Get it middle and push the pace against numbers in your favor to get easy baskets. 

A few times we put Race there, but he's not great in that spot and turned it over or made the wrong decision. 

But, you have to create numbers to get easy baskets and ultimately force them out of that press. 

Someone (maybe you) said during the game once we break it, we should attack the basket.

Tamar tried a couple of times, but he's not the playmaker JHS or Galloway are... 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Most definitely. For whatever reason, we don't seem to attack the middle of the full court press or the 2-3 zones we've been facing. And yeah, putting Race in that ball handling role was not a quality decision - I think that was abandoned pretty quickly. I'm sure part of it is just a lack of quality ball handlers - Bates and Gallo are still a little suspect, so that leaves JHS as our only quality guard in that aspect. Still, kind of weird that we're not attacking the middle of these defenses.

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Someone (maybe you) said during the game once we break it, we should attack the basket.

Tamar tried a couple of times, but he's not the playmaker JHS or Galloway are... 

I think if Trey didn’t get in foul trouble we would have won. I love his intensity but we need him on the floor more than anything right now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I'm sure that was as "loaded" or "subliminal" response lol! 

I think Coach Woodson plays the long game from a leadership standpoint. He's not going to publicly destroy a kids confidence by throwing him under the bus... Like Underwood does... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing, there was no good matchup for Miller on the defensive end, beside maybe Carey. Maryland is long and athletic. Geronimo might not have made a huge difference, but he'd have been better on the isolation back down than Miller or Race. 

On the other hand, Geronimo could have been the "X" factor by taking up the slack for Race not being 100%. Race looked a step slow for obvious reasons, but he is definitely getting better. I really miss his 3 pt shooting. It often stretched the defenses out when he was hitting. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Coach Woodson plays the long game from a leadership standpoint. He's not going to publicly destroy a kids confidence by throwing him under the bus... Like Underwood does... 

I took his "Shit Happens" response to him subliminally taking a jab at the poor officiating, which eventually helped snowball everything else IU was trying to do...lol

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

We are an easy team to press because like you said we never burn the opponents for pressing. XJ would help, but I’m still not sure I remember burning presses often with him in the line up. 

Maryland pressed and zoned, and that seems to be our kryptonite. And when we can’t shoot over the zone….it’s probably going to be a loss. Zones tend to reduce the foul calls, which gets us frustrated. We aren’t especially great a grabbing offensive rebounds. That’s just the way it is. We have 2 guys stand in the corner and rely on kick-outs from TJD. Neither of those guys are typically good at creating their own shots and need space to put their shots up. It’s an easy cover for opponents.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, that's where we need more dynamic wings in this program. You need your guards back against the press, but then you put a wing in the middle that can handle and make plays. 

Kansas would put Jalen Wilson (that's his name, right?) and get it middle and he would blow a press like that open. 

We need some wings in this program that can handle and create. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, that's where we need more dynamic wings in this program. You need your guards back against the press, but then you put a wing in the middle that can handle and make plays. 

Kansas would put Jalen Wilson (that's his name, right?) and get it middle and he would blow a press like that open. 

We need some wings in this program that can handle and create. 

I think when we get X back, the ability to put Trey in the middle will be big. I mean, I already said I'd try TJD but I wouldn't have minded seeing a Bates/Trey/JHS lineup and put Trey and JHS in the middle. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Or a dominating win...

Wish there would have been an internet in 75 and 76...

Threads would have consisted of me and @IU Scott posting "Now THAT'S basketball!"

😁

I think Scott would have been saying how much better the '53 team was and complaining the Knight wasn't doing things the way Branch did them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2