Purdue Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Out Saturday? 

Depending on how bad it is (He’s been wearing a boot since Thursday), good chance he doesn’t play, however, Woodson did say he was shooting too 

EDIT: Read the article again and Woodson said Geronimo HAD a calf strain, but I truly do not know his availability 

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Purdue is not only good, they are scary good.  As in FF good.  To think otherwise would be utter bias.  

I didn’t say they weren’t good. I said they weren’t the Boston Celtics, they aren’t unbeatable. We play D like we can, being at home where we shoot it pretty well.. I expect us to win.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Morton on JHS?

a lot of things favor Purdue 

XJ

JG ?

Race 70%?
Logan???

None of that matters if TG & Tamar go MSU game….8-9 on 3’s

Or Purdue freshman play like freshman 

I don't think JG being out really matters in this one 🤷‍♂️ Malik and Race matchup to your 4s just fine IMO.

XJ being out hurts us in every game, but we have been playing without him for a while now. 

Without getting too into the Xs and Os, the two best players in the country are on opposite teams in this game, so it should in theory come down to which role players play better. I expect our guys to play better in Bloomington than your guys. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

In Maryland at Purdue they put a ton of pressure with size/speed advantage on Loyer/Smith. I think we can do the same. The goal would be to draw Edey up to the FT line and let TJD 1 on 1 him....but I think Edey will just drop/sag which means tons of ball reversal and put his head on a swivel....maybe he picks up a cheapy or 3.

I wouldn't even mind a bit of 3/4 court pressure. Make their guards so uncomfortable. Purdue is really good but not some unbeatable force. We shoot more than 35% from 3 I like our chances. Biggest thing will be to make TJD doesn't get taken out of the game early with cheap fouls. You just know the refs will try to control this one early. 

Don't think Edey will guard TJD.  At least very much.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think JG being out really matters in this one 🤷‍♂️ Malik and Race matchup to your 4s just fine IMO.

XJ being out hurts us in every game, but we have been playing without him for a while now. 

Without getting too into the Xs and Os, the two best players in the country are on opposite teams in this game, so it should in theory come down to which role players play better. I expect our guys to play better in Bloomington than your guys. 

Geronimo would provide an extra body if/when Malik gets into foul trouble.

TJD going to need to go 40 minutes in this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Geronimo would provide an extra body if/when Malik gets into foul trouble.

Geronimo is needed for that very reason. I don’t think it’s a question of if. Malik is a foul machine. I believe he fouled out in 13 minutes of game action against MD. Yikes. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Geronimo is needed for that very reason. I don’t think it’s a question of if. Malik is a foul machine. I believe he fouled out in 13 minutes of game action against MD. Yikes. 

Malik fouls. Yes 

Purdue, should be, a good matchup for Malik on the defensive end, though. 

At least.. more so than MD, Battle. 

And he did guard Hauser well.  

• Like 2

Hearing a lot of students dumping their tickets for $300 to outside people. I hope its not many. TJD in the past has come out with the deer in the headlights look against big guys. I hope he is past that and takes it strong to edey. Go after him early and often would be my game plan. Either he blocks it, fouls or gets up with a hole in his chest from knees.

• Like 1

This is a little off topic, but Malik reminds me a lot of Trevion Williams when he was a freshman. Neither are great leapers, but both know how to use their size/strength to score around the basket….don’t have to have TJD’s explosiveness to be a great player. Hopefully, Malik will be with us for a few years and develop into that type of talent.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you go to a friend's, neighbor's or relative's house and they offer you something to drink, and pull out a glass/cup/tumbler with Purdue on it, do you accept it, or ask that they put your drink in something else?

Use it as a receptacle for eliminating said drink 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you go to a friend's, neighbor's or relative's house and they offer you something to drink, and pull out a glass/cup/tumbler with Purdue on it, do you accept it, or ask that they put your drink in something else?

1762119379_Screenshot_20230202-1903053.thumb.png.e765da9e3c0f3b9749b5edb57fb304ef.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

"If you ask Xavier, he thinks he can play tomorrow (Purdue game). Listen, I've been around basketball a long time. That's impossible. The guy broke his foot. I'm not using that in a negative way. I wish he could play tomorrow. But I don't know."

It would sure be a nice surprise or boost. The crowd would go INSANE, but I just don't see it happening this soon. I will have to say, his comment of "I just don't know" has me intrigued a little bit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

"If you ask Xavier, he thinks he can play tomorrow (Purdue game). Listen, I've been around basketball a long time. That's impossible. The guy broke his foot. I'm not using that in a negative way. I wish he could play tomorrow. But I don't know."

It would sure be a nice surprise or boost. The crowd would go INSANE, but I just don't see it happening this soon. I will have to say, his comment of "I just don't know" has me intrigued a little bit. 

I'd love to have X back asap. Saw a stat this morning that since Nov 30th X and JHS have only played a total of 6 minutes together.

With that said. Big picture. I want X fully healthy for March because there isn't one dominant team in the country and some team out there is just going to get hot for 6 games and win it all. 

• Like 7