Rutgers II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

43 minutes ago, slojoe said:

JHS has been great this year.  He's improved his most glaring weakness beyond the arc.  He does need to be more consistent, but he's getting there fast.  He is more likely than not to go to the NBA which would be a positive for CMW and the program.

But IMHO the stats say that he needs to go to the rim or dish more than pulling up.  I'm not saying his shot selection is bad, but just that he needs to tweak it.

Agreed. I don't think he necessarily takes any bad/forced midrange shots, it's just that it's an inefficient shot to begin with. I think it's fine if he takes some midrange shots, but I'd also like to see him attack the basket more, especially when his shot isn't falling.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

This game is going to be huge moving forward. Rutgers is hanging their hat on their defense and deservingly so. Now it's our opportunity to see where we are as a team and where our defense really is. I hope we can finally put our foot down on the competition in this league. This game also plays huge in the BIGTEN standings. 

GO IU!

As the old saying goes "Defense travels" but I believe Indiana's improvement in taking care of the ball the last seven games bodes well for our chances of a blowout. I believe the defensive pressure that Minnesota, Maryland and Purdue put on us will translate to the experience needed to win tonight.

This game will be tremendous come tournament time for our seed. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

As the old saying goes "Defense travels" but I believe Indiana's improvement in taking care of the ball the last seven games bodes well for our chances of a blowout. I believe the defensive pressure that Minnesota, Maryland and Purdue put on us will translate to the experience needed to win tonight.

I agree but our defense won't get a lot better until X gets back.  Look out then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I agree but our defense won't get a lot better until X gets back.  Look out then.

....Our defense HAS gotten better since X has been out. They had no choice. Others have stepped up and filled in much welcomed rolls. When X comes back his defense should add another nasty wrinkle to a solid, much improved defense. This will help come March! Go IU!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

The way things are forming up I could see Rutgers and IU both on that 4/5 line. We definitely need this one for two reasons. First...I'm tired of losing to frickin Rutgers. Second..big picture for conference title and seeding in March.

• Like 3

I think given the next 4/5 on the road and how tight the standings are we can’t afford to lose at home (besides it being Rutgers and them being a very good team). Need to keep the positive momentum going into a tough stretch we have coming. I think a loss here would be a psychological blow given how we have played recently. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The way things are forming up I could see Rutgers and IU both on that 4/5 line. We definitely need this one for two reasons. First...I'm tired of losing to frickin Rutgers. Second..big picture for conference title and seeding in March.

I'm hoping this is the song we're playing at the final buzzer

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If we all remember, Rutgers was the second game after Trayce had taken a cortisone shot in the back, and he was dealing with a thumb injury...

If it takes him 19:20 to score his first field goal tonight, I'll eat somebody's hat... 

I fully expect him to almost demand the ball on our first offensive possession.  I think he is taking this game personally.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

What makes Rutgers punks or did they punk you….play physical, talk, not back down 

I admire Rutgers….not fake tough guys  or 5 star frauds 

I think the post was a play off of TJD's words earlier in the season and again after the Purdue game. TJD said they punked us.

If Rutgers didnt beat IU all the time, i would like them too. Grit, blue collar, play hard type of ball they play.

4 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

....Our defense HAS gotten better since X has been out. They had no choice. Others have stepped up and filled in much welcomed rolls. When X comes back his defense should add another nasty wrinkle to a solid, much improved defense. This will help come March! Go IU!

Well, looking at Kenpom I don't think so.  We started out at #9 on defensive efficiency.  At one point we were down to 7.  But went down to the 40's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I think the post was a play off of TJD's words earlier in the season and again after the Purdue game. TJD said they punked us.

If Rutgers didnt beat IU all the time, i would like them too. Grit, blue collar, play hard type of ball they play.

True.  One of Rutgers former players (Geo Baker I think?) also mentioned punking IU in a podcast as well.  I don't mind using their own words against them to get revved up for the game.

• Like 1