Rutgers post game

Madison22

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Because we didn't need to. That's the luxury of a guy like Race that can switch onto almost everyone defensively. We didn't need to go small. 

I'm excited about Banks' play the last week or two, but defense is not his strong suit yet. If you were the coach, who do you trust more to defend and communicate switches down the stretch of a close, important Big Ten game, Race or Banks?

I think the answer is pretty simple. 

I meant Bates

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Are we seriously questioning the lineup used to close out the game yesterday? What did the guys on the floor at the end do that put us at any risk of losing in the last couple minutes? 

I mean Woody did have prime defensive all stars Dennis Rodman, Bill Russell, Tim Duncan, Dikembe Mutombo and Gary Payton sitting on the bench.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Because we didn't need to. That's the luxury of a guy like Race that can switch onto almost everyone defensively. We didn't need to go small. 

I'm excited about Banks' play the last week or two, but defense is not his strong suit yet. If you were the coach, who do you trust more to defend and communicate switches down the stretch of a close, important Big Ten game, Race or Banks?

I think the answer is pretty simple. 

What he said

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I understand JG has an injured calf but ever since Race came back it’s like JG has lost his confidence. I’d much rather have banks come in at the 4 after Malik when he’s not subbing in for Miller at the 3. JG not being prepared defensively and not having good hands offensively hurts us way more than what Race is doing IMO

It will take Geronimo a few games to get back into the flow and start feeling comfortable out there. And then there will be certain matchups where he does better and others where he struggles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Inequality said:

Was there also and didn’t notice any booing that I would assume was directed towards any player. IU player that is.

Sam shared this on twitter which I thought was interesting. You don’t have to be a college coach to understand the game. Especially if you’ve been a part of the game in many forms your whole life. Lots of folks calling for Malik to play and rightfully so. I for one wanted Malik and Bates in the game for the duration of the second half. It didn’t happen of course but felt like those guys were giving us a better look last night.

What I felt was a negative was when we had Banks and Geronimo in together.

Out of curiosity, who were you putting  on the bench to play Bates?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sam should do their defensive rating during the same time frame. There is literally another end of the court this thread and most IU fans are just completely ignoring. 

Not disagreeing.

Malik has been improving on defense. Those ‘bad fouls’ have been drastically improved the last couple of games. The more experience he gets in games, the better he has become - in all aspects. 

While he can be a defensive liability, I still would like to see him get as much time as possible when the match ups dictate it and sometimes when they don’t. I think this will not only be beneficial to him and the team next season, but also later THIS season. No player on the team (or in the conference) is improving as quickly as he is. It’s pretty remarkable to see this happen right before our eyes - there are literally mistakes he was frequently committing 5 games ago that have seemingly disappeared in such a short time. I mentioned the fouls, but he’s making the right passes, not dribbling into double teams, switching better on defense, staying vertical on defense, etc. 

If he can continue a positive trajectory on defense with more playing time, perhaps Woody will be able to rely on him more in late game situations as we head into March Madness. There are a lot of potential matchups we can face in the tournament that will not have an answer for TJD and Malik on the court at the same time, but this likely means facing 4 guard lineups. This used to be a net negative. It’s now close to a break even. With more playing time against similar lineups (with a tight leash), can this turn into a net positive?  

Woody has been bringing him along nicely. And these are tough coaching decisions to make, no doubt. When I say that I want more Malik, this is where I’m coming from. But I’m just a fan sitting on the couch. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not disagreeing.

Malik has been improving on defense. Those ‘bad fouls’ have been drastically improved the last couple of games. The more experience he gets in games, the better he has become - in all aspects. 

While he can be a defensive liability, I still would like to see him get as much time as possible when the match ups dictate it and sometimes when they don’t. I think this will not only be beneficial to him and the team next season, but also later THIS season. No player on the team (or in the conference) is improving as quickly as he is. It’s pretty remarkable to see this happen right before our eyes - there are literally mistakes he was frequently committing 5 games ago that have seemingly disappeared in such a short time. I mentioned the fouls, but he’s making the right passes, not dribbling into double teams, switching better on defense, staying vertical on defense, etc. 

If he can continue a positive trajectory on defense with more playing time, perhaps Woody will be able to rely on him more in late game situations as we head into March Madness. There are a lot of potential matchups we can face in the tournament that will not have an answer for TJD and Malik on the court at the same time, but this likely means facing 4 guard lineups. This used to be a net negative. It’s now close to a break even. With more playing time against similar lineups (with a tight leash), can this turn into a net positive?  

Woody has been bringing him along nicely. And these are though coaching decisions to make, no doubt. When I say that I want more Malik, this is where I’m coming from. But I’m just a fan sitting on the couch. 

I want more Malik too. The bold-- I don't think we are in that type of spot in the season to do that.

Your post is great and makes perfect sense. 100% agree the last 5 games ish, he's really improved. He's still avg 17mpg the last 5 games, so he's still playing a fair amount. (Race is playing 24mpg)...

Bottom line... I simply understood why Woodson went with Race late in the game the other night(Malik had 3-4 defensive breakdowns the other evening, and luckily RU didn't execute on 2 of them).. plus, Malik vs. McConnell and then getting switched onto the other guards could have been problematic. ...But, I also think Race simply playing better, while still playing Malik 15-20 mins, is our best route to success. 

It's just not as easy as saying "Malik should play more than Race because look, he has a higher offensive rating"

Not saying at all that you are saying that or even that Inequality is saying that (that is who posted the original tweet from SS).... but some are saying that, then also acting like Woodson is negligible for NOT playing Malik. That is my issue.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't remember if this has been mentioned and not going to sift through ten pages to be certain, but Geronimo's (lack of) defense on Palmquist is why he saw very limited minutes against Rutgers.  If he doesn't remember how to play defense, Woody won't be playing him much.

Agree on Geronimo. He's going to have to figure a lot out, because the reality is TJD is playing close to 40 minutes every night and it's hard to see that changing. We've basically got 40-45 minutes to split between Race, Malik, and Geronmo which leaves Geronimo in a tough spot. 

• Like 2