Michigan Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

@IUFLA Your thoughts on tonight? 

I thought Michigan shot the ball well, but Nebraska wasn't playing much D. The Wolverines have more than a few guys that can hit the 3... 

Jett Howard has never met a shot he didn't like 🙂 

We're definitely going to have to bring our D like we have the last 2 games. My only question is can we overcome our road shooting woes of the past few trips out of Bloomington... 

Michigan has lost 10 games. They are average, at best. Go into Ann Arbor with the confidence that we are the better team. Bring the defensive intensity that we’ve shown during our winning streak.

No reason for hand wringing and deer in the headlights reactions. Confidence bordering on arrogance that we got this.

Fans too.

• Like 4

I think we can win this game. Our last two road games have been less than stellar, but our defense did show up in both of those. If we can hold Michigans offense somewhat in check, I think their defense is so porous we will be able to score enough to win.

I do worry about Howard and who can stick with him, but I also think TJD has hit a point in his development he can really take it to Dickinson. Obviously how they officiate things down low could be a huge impact.

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought Michigan shot the ball well, but Nebraska wasn't playing much D. The Wolverines have more than a few guys that can hit the 3... 

Jett Howard has never met a shot he didn't like 🙂 

We're definitely going to have to bring our D like we have the last 2 games. My only question is can we overcome our road shooting woes of the past few trips out of Bloomington... 

IF Michigan shoots like that again, we lose easily (Unless we also go off too). However, Nebraska’s 3 point defense is one of the worst in the Big Ten and in the Country. Also, seemed like when Dickinson/Howard went out, Michigan seemed disconnected giving Nebraska some pretty good runs especially when they cut within 10 with 6 minutes left. But Nebraska was gassed after that only scored like 6 points.

Their starters played well, which I expected them too, was surprised with Dickinson, but he dropped 14 points in the 2H. Williams had a decent night, but he was a foul machine for the most part, Bufkin looked pretty good, Howard was on fire, and McDaniel had a good stat line. Joey Baker was hot off the bench, after that it was an “eh” for Michigan Bench

Most of their starters played 30+ or more minutes and emptied the bench a couple of times. Seems like their Forwards foul a lot, so if we can get underneath their skin, that would be great. Doesn’t seem the crowd wasn’t really to involved in this, Saturday they will be. This is definitely a winnable game, just need to come out strong.

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

IF Michigan shoots like that again, we lose easily (Unless we also go off too). However, Nebraska’s 3 point defense is one of the worst in the Big Ten and in the Country. Also, seemed like when Dickinson/Howard went out, Michigan seemed disconnected giving Nebraska some pretty good runs especially when they cut within 10 with 6 minutes left. But Nebraska was gassed after that only scored like 6 points.

Most of their starters played 30+ or more minutes and emptied the bench a couple of times. Seems like their Forwards foul a lot, so if we can get underneath their skin, that would be great. Doesn’t seem the crowd wasn’t really to involved in this, Saturday they will be. This is definitely a winnable game, just need to come out strong.

If we play defense like we have been, they won’t shoot like they did tonight 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Completely agree, if our defense showed up like the Illinois game, I really like our odds. However, Michigan is playing with some intensity and fighting for their season, should be an intriguing matchup!

We are fighting for conference and tournament seeding and are playing with equal intensity. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

They just put up a graphic in IA St/WV game regarding IA St’s road struggles. 
Graphic said that since 2014, as ranked teams, IU and TCU have the worst road win % (25%) in D1. Have to change that mental toughness. Need to build on Xavier and IL

Ugh.. i knew we were bad but thats shameful

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we can win this game. Our last two road games have been less than stellar, but our defense did show up in both of those. If we can hold Michigans offense somewhat in check, I think their defense is so porous we will be able to score enough to win.

I do worry about Howard and who can stick with him, but I also think TJD has hit a point in his development he can really take it to Dickinson. Obviously how they officiate things down low could be a huge impact.

Dickinson will be a sloth out there next to a leopard...

Dickinson has the ability to pull TJD away from the basket, which hurts rebounding and takes away his defensive help inside. IU may be better off letting Race, Malik, and others cover Dickinson outside; however, if he takes them into the post he may foul out both by halftime. It's going to be interesting to see how CMW decides to cover him.

Reality is, IU's script doesn't change. Smothering defense hopefully without fouling like crazy, rebounding, and not wasting possessions. The other side of the coin is, can Michigan stop TJD and if so, do they have to double to do it? If they double, who's hitting shots? By this point in the season there is nothing new. It's all execution. 

Biggest concern - TJD having to play big minutes with little rest. He's played 39 minutes in 5 of the last 6, and the last three straight. He is young, they get days between games, and there are endless timeouts during games, but it all adds up by season's end. If only they could trust the other guys to hold the game until he gets a couple minutes here and there. If only they had a 6'10 240 playing late into his second season available to step in even for a minute of game time.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Third straight game against teams first or second in the B1G

Trust me I absolutely hate complaining. Hate rear view mirror living/thinking. Typically an onward/upward guy but until the Big 10 figures out a way to make more balanced schedules the regular season championship means almost nothing other than a high seed in NCAAT. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me I absolutely hate complaining. Hate rear view mirror living/thinking. Typically an onward/upward guy but until the Big 10 figures out a way to make more balanced schedules the regular season championship means almost nothing other than a high seed in NCAAT. 

TJD will have three straight games against Edey, Omoruyi and Dickinson. All bigger than him. He’s quicker, but it’s still a pounding. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess when we go to 20 teams eventually everyone will play everyone else once except for a protected rival you play twice.  Obviously it will be IU/Purdue which stinks for both when you think someone will get Minnesota twice.  Still with that you are looking at who has a higher number of tough road games in one year compared to someone else.  It will never be truly fair which does take some of the luster away.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Dickinson has the ability to pull TJD away from the basket, which hurts rebounding and takes away his defensive help inside. IU may be better off letting Race, Malik, and others cover Dickinson outside; however, if he takes them into the post he may foul out both by halftime. It's going to be interesting to see how CMW decides to cover him.

I'm betting we let Podcast get his similar to the Edey in the Purdue game and lock down their guards. I agree with your assessment that Race and Reneau get into foul trouble early. One thing that would benefit Indiana though is if we get up early it forces Dickinson into shooting 3s which will minimize our foul troubles.

If I were to guess I bet we put pressure on their guards before half-court causing Michigan to start their offense 20 seconds or less into the shot clock. Michigan is not a good offensive rebounding team and putting pressure on them to find one high quality shot per possession will be the difference. XJ would have been great in this game. 

While I would love to see a free flowing high offensive game I'm betting we see a Big Ten slug fest that Indiana has become accustomed to winning. 

• Like 1