Michigan Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Not really sure what to think tonight. I know Michigan is playing better but those 3 wins are vs Northwestern, Ohio St, and Nebraska. The last 2 coming at home. They seem to be searching for a resume building win because even though 8-5 in conference they are 14-10 overall and still have road games at Wiscy, at Rutgers, at Illinois, and at IU.

Guess what I'm saying is this one is oh so close to the must win game for them. All road games are tough so hopefully we can just get settled in. Avoid the cheap fouls early on so we can just play team on team. 

I'm liking us in a tight one. 1-2 possession game of say 79-75 range.

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

This is a really interesting game. Not a "must win". The Rutgers game really put us in a good spot with being 3 game over .500 in conference. 

But, I call this a "separator" game. A road game like this against a good, though beatable opponent has the chance to separate IU from the pack. 

Win this and we're 4 games over .500 and beginning to put a bit of a hold on that 2nd spot in the standings. We begin heading toward a double bye in the BTT and with a nice run to close the season potentially a 3 seed in the NCAAT. 

It's a win that can create some buzz to an extent. 

Lose and it's not the end of the world, but we fall back into the scrum of the middle of the pack Big Ten teams. We're back to fighting and clawing for BTT seeding and you're more looking at fighting in that range of a 5-7 seed NCAAT team. 

Not absolutes on the above win or loss, but again it's more about separating in terms of standings and positioning. 

1C8BAEC1-6E4F-47AD-86A6-B2478098001D.jpeg.bf986fae6b0699d8e973a6bffd929b27.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is a really interesting game. Not a "must win". The Rutgers game really put us in a good spot with being 3 games over .500 in conference. 

But, I call this a "separator" game. A road game like this against a good, though beatable opponent has the chance to separate IU from the pack. 

Win this and we're 4 games over .500 and beginning to put a bit of a hold on that 2nd spot in the standings. We begin heading toward a double bye in the BTT and with a nice run to close the season potentially a 3-4 seed in the NCAAT. 

It's a win that can create some road and standings momentum to an extent. 

Lose and it's not the end of the world, but we fall back into the scrum of the middle of the pack Big Ten teams. We're back to fighting and clawing for BTT seeding and you're more looking at fighting in that range of a 5-7 seed NCAAT team. 

Not absolutes on the above win or lose, but again it's more about separating in terms of standings and positioning. 

I agree. But if we fall back into scrum, we have the most difficult remaining schedule of the scrum.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

No doubt. Another reason that while not must win, it's still a really important game. 

I’m going into the next two thinking we really need to win one if we want to keep improving our seeding. We can win out our home games and easily get in as a 5-7 seed, but would really love to see these guys keep it in gear pushing towards a 3-4 seed. 

• Like 1