Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But why does the defense get to trade anything by fouling that the offense then has to earn?

If they want the ball back faster they should have to play defense and earn it, right? If they choose to foul it shouldn’t shift the burden and pressure to the offense; that’s punishing the offense for the defense violating the rules.

Without factoring in the pressure of the situation, a 75% free throw shooter scores .19 less per possession a 1 and 1 as opposed to if he got two shots. That’s a huge advantage to the defense when they are the team committing a violation in the first place. 

Your first paragraph. I don’t know why this is being argued. There is strategy involved. 

In any team sport you can find an example of strategic fouling that the defense trades for the offense to “earn it”. 

Football: pass interference in the end zone 

soccer: break away …. defender pulls down striker

baseball: intentional walks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

Your first paragraph. I don’t know why this is being argued. There is strategy involved. 

In any team sport you can find an example of strategic fouling that the defense trades for the offense to “earn it”. 

Football: pass interference in the end zone 

soccer: break away …. defender pulls down striker

baseball: intentional walks

PI in the end zone is a drastic penalty for the defense.

The soccer example is a red card and a PK/free kick. 

Those are much more drastic of penalties than me saying it should be two shots instead of a 1 and 1, IMO.

I get there's strategy, lots of levels of basketball have chosen it's better to not have that particular strategy but it gives an advantage to the team committing a violation. NCAAM is the only high level of basketball utilizing the 1 and 1.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

PI in the end zone is a drastic penalty for the defense.

The soccer example is a red card and a PK/free kick. 

Those are much more drastic of penalties than me saying it should be two shots instead of a 1 and 1, IMO.

I get there's strategy, lots of levels of basketball have chosen it's better to not have that particular strategy but it gives an advantage to the team committing a violation. NCAAM is the only high level of basketball utilizing the 1 and 1.

let’s set the scene a bit more little less drastic considering a non shooting foul on team fouls 7 8 an 9 isn’t drastic. 

football: ball on the one yard line. DB gets dusted on a double move fade to the corner. He grabs receiver. Holding or PI, doesn’t matter. What is the defense giving up to save the touchdown?

soccer: defender is even with the attacker. But in open field. Defender goes in shoulder first. Probably gets yellow card. Virtually yellow card means nothing much like these personal fouls until they accumulate. 

13 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

let’s set the scene a bit more little less drastic considering a non shooting foul on team fouls 7 8 an 9 isn’t drastic. 

football: ball on the one yard line. DB gets dusted on a double move fade to the corner. He grabs receiver. Holding or PI, doesn’t matter. What is the defense giving up to save the touchdown?

soccer: defender is even with the attacker. But in open field. Defender goes in shoulder first. Probably gets yellow card. Virtually yellow card means nothing much like these personal fouls until they accumulate. 

So the football example the offense gets a fresh set of downs, which is more similar to two free throws. They don't get just one play to earn a second play, right?

Soccer I guess that's a valid point. Soccer strategically is very different than basketball at the end (I don't think you're saying otherwise) so it's a bit of apples to oranges when we talk about end of game situations though, right?

Also to be clear of my stance in general, of all the changes I'd make in college basketball this isn't particularly high on the list. Just if we are going to have this conversation this is the side I fall on. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t follow the NBA at all, however the ESPN scroll just reported that the league is reprimanding/fining refs for missed calls. 
Send that on to whoever is supposedly overseeing the B1G refs

The NBA also issues a report of all the calls in the last two minutes of the game. NBA isn't perfect by any stretch but there is a lot more in place to try to create equitable officiating. You also don't really see huge swings in how a game is called from ref to ref, game to game, home and away, etc. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The NBA also issues a report of all the calls in the last two minutes of the game. NBA isn't perfect by any stretch but there is a lot more in place to try to create equitable officiating. You also don't really see huge swings in how a game is called from ref to ref, game to game, home and away, etc. 

the ref has 4x as many games, so they have more practice then NCAA refs, NCAA needs to recruit NBA refs at least for a head ref

8 hours ago, ledies22 said:

One thing I'll add about soccer, a yellow card means that a second yellow card foul is automatic disqualification and your team now plays with 10 men, so while often done, it is a possibly severe penalty

13 hours ago, Reacher said:

I pulled this video of the Bates steal and foul from my recorded game. 

NW had a 5 point lead at the time. Momentum started to shift here. A few possessions later, the techs were called. 

At this point all you can do is laugh and move on with life. Especially since we all know nothing is gonna be done about B1G officiating (I would be pleasantly surprised if they did)

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Indiana outscored Northwestern 42-25 in the second half, so if the first half is even close, the Hoosiers win, probably by double figures. 

Anymore salt you wanna pour in that wound lol

Oh wait that happened last night when Purdue dropped to Maryland

Edited by southsidehoosier
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Come NCAA tournament seeding, and possibly even BTT seeding, we're going to regret the 2 NW losses as well as @Iowa.  

3 games that we coulda/shoulda won.

I don't care as much about BTT seeding since we aren't going to win the conference, so long as we get the double bye, but yeah those are probably a seed line difference in the NCAAT. Probably just two of them is a seed line difference. 

• Like 2

I just rewatched this game...

The momentum that was taken from us (not to mention the points we gave away), was in no way worth the perceived "fairer calls" we supposedly got in the 2nd half...

The score went from 17-12 to 21-12, to a 19 point lead at the half...

No way... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I just rewatched this game...

The momentum that was taken from us (not to mention the points we gave away), was in no way worth the perceived "fairer calls" we supposedly got in the 2nd half...

The score went from 17-12 to 21-12, to a 19 point lead at the half...

No way... 

Are you a masochist? 

• Haha 3