Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

When will officials be held accountable for how god awful they are at their job? I’m not one to complain about them because there’s always something the team could’ve done to win, but you can’t tell me a properly officiated game doesn’t give us a better chance to win. Northwestern has been gifted their past two wins off of piss poor Big Ten officiating crews.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Boiler Sam said:

Yeah you guys got screwed. Hacking and grabbing, illegal screens on EVERY trip...looked very familiar. 

Chris Collins is a smart coach he knows Big Ten Refs are gonna let them get away with that garbage. Let's see how well they play in the tournament when they can't touch a dude with a 10 foot pole.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My only thing on the bolded is that I don't see any other teams being treated that way. 

IU probably has 4-6 technicals this year on just garbage stuff that I don't see being called on any other teams. 

Hard to say when we don’t know what’s being yelled at the refs. It really depends on how vulgar they’re being but you are right that no other team is getting these Techs. I guess it’s up to Woody to call it out publicly if they’re not deserved. Also, wtf is that post game analysis? Rafeal Davis all but admits the ref swallowed the whistle. The other two completely ignored it…zero accountability when a spade isn’t called a spade by the guys with the platform to do it. 

• Like 1

I will say, going from watching the Pacers vs Bulls to this is just jarring in how much of a difference there is in officiating competency. NBA officials are very good at their jobs for the most part. Big ten officials are not.

But ultimately the takeaway is we just have to start better. It’s hard to win games when you dig a 21 point hole. We also need to cut out the dumb turnovers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Lowered the shoulder and used Gallo’s momentum against him. Technically a foul? Possibly. But I’ll repeat: no officiating crew is going to call it in that moment. 

I think you’re trying to be disagreeable. We lost the game with lots more stuff than that last one…shouldn’t came down to that but you looked at that replay a few posts up and you still think that then I don’t know what to tell you. Basketball players know the difference then what you’re saying. If you guarded a guy on a play like that and got lifted literally off the ground with a shoulder that is totally different then being off balance because your being pressured with straight line drive.

• Like 3

Just now, Kdug said:

I will say, going from watching the Pacers vs Bulls to this is just jarring in how much of a difference there is in officiating competency. NBA officials are very good at their jobs for the most part. Big ten officials are not.

But ultimately the takeaway is we just have to start better. It’s hard to win games when you dig a 21 point hole. We also need to cut out the dumb turnovers.

I'm not even that worried about turnovers. We had 13, not amazing but not terrible. 

I'm more worried about the fact that we force very few turnovers. Our defense is generally very good, but it would be nice to take pressure off our offense by getting some easy transition buckets off live ball turnovers. 

We only forced 3 tonight. That's not good, and we usually don't force many. 

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

And it literally seems like its only the big 10 with the officiating problems. Its like they hired everyone who was rejected from other conferences for being incompetent 

IU has enough to make a long run in the postseason but the wasted possessions with just stupid turnovers and the unnecessary forced shots means they can lose at any time.

You want to be elite? Elite doesn't run down and throw up the first forced, challenged shot they can get up. That's you, Tamar. That's you JHS and some others.

Every unnecessarily bad play hurts your team and takes away from a good play you've made.

Finally, the bench (not the head coach) got another technical. It happens once you say, ok. That's odd. It hapoen three or four times in a season and you've got a serious problem. Coaches T was needed. This road mugging by the refs can't go unchecked.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It didn't really "balance" out though. We lost 4-6 points (can't remember if they scored on the possession after the tech's) on what was a blatant travel that we were complaining about. 

I meant over the course of a season they balance out. That plus the fact that we usually have enough bad plays to point to in a loss that blaming the refs isn't something i but into

Jeez, enough with the complaints about officiating. Yeah, they missed a travel call, but refs miss calls. Getting multiple Ts and giving up 4 points because of that is just stupid and undisciplined. Also, in the second half they missed a pretty obvious goaltending on TJD, and no ref is going to call an offensive foul on that last possession, especially if he doesn’t extend the arm.

We lost because we played like complete garbage in the first half, not because of the refs. I mean, even in the second half, Kopp hit the side of the backboard on an open 3 pointer, and JHS hit the top of the backboard on an easy alley oop in another key situation. 

Good comeback in the second half, and’s not a big deal losing this game if we take care of business on Saturday  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Woodson said he felt the team was "overly hyped." Woodson also told the team "he takes the hit for the T." Lastly, "no comment on the officials."

One thing I hear and see unlike previous seasons is everyone learning what it means to win. Indiana learned a lot about what it means to win tonight. In past seasons we would folded like a Bob Knight thrown folding chair. This has learned how to comeback and compete. I really believe this team will grow from this win and become better. Also, looking forward to having XJ back.

• Like 3

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

I think the classless display by the Northwestern fans and student section should be addressed in some way. I’m all for a raucous and rowdy crowd but that was unacceptable in my opinion. It wasn’t just once either, it was throughout the game.

I agree but our fans has said the same thing to opposing players, both are ridiculous 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Back to back misses on the front end of 1 and 1s.

Dude we deserved to lose because of the first half…then second half we dug down and deserved to win. Almost every possession first half was a disaster for sure. I didn’t complain one bit about missed calls all game because we weren’t playing smart enough to deserve a call…but when we fought and got ourselves back in it I couldn’t ignore it anymore.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Our defense is generally very good, but it would be nice to take pressure off our offense by getting some easy transition buckets off live ball turnovers. 

We only forced 3 tonight. That's not good, and we usually don't force many. 

I feel like this team works hard to force teams into taking bad shots which in a way act as turnovers. 

• Like 1