Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, IU247 said:

And it literally seems like its only the big 10 with the officiating problems. Its like they hired everyone who was rejected from other conferences for being incompetent 

You should watch more ACC games. Those jokers are all over the place and have had several huge blown calls (the viral Twitter kind) this season

2 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Woodson said he felt the team was "overly hyped." Woodson also told the team "he takes the hit for the T." Lastly, "no comment on the officials."

One thing I hear and see unlike previous seasons is everyone learning what it means to win. Indiana learned a lot about what it means to win tonight. In past seasons we would folded like a Bob Knight thrown folding chair. This has learned how to comeback and compete. I really believe this team will grow from this win and become better. Also, looking forward to having XJ back.

The chair RMK threw wasn't a folding chair

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not even that worried about turnovers. We had 13, not amazing but not terrible. 

I'm more worried about the fact that we force very few turnovers. Our defense is generally very good, but it would be nice to take pressure off our offense by getting some easy transition buckets off live ball turnovers. 

We only forced 3 tonight. That's not good, and we usually don't force many. 

But we can’t turn it over 13 times if we aren’t creating enough to make up the extra possessions. End of the day we gave them 9 extra possessions. That’s why we lost. 

• Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

Dude we deserved to lose because of the first half…then second half we dug down and deserved to win. Almost every possession first half was a disaster for sure. I didn’t complain one bit about missed calls all game because we weren’t playing smart enough to deserve a call…but when we fought and got ourselves back in it I couldn’t ignore it anymore.

What does the bold even mean? We weren't smart so we didn't "deserve" calls, but NW was smart so they get away with hacking and traveling? 

It doesn't make any sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think you’re trying to be disagreeable. We lost the game with lots more stuff than that last one…shouldn’t came down to that but you looked at that replay a few posts up and you still think that then I don’t know what to tell you. Basketball players know the difference then what you’re saying. If you guarded a guy on a play like that and got lifted literally off the ground with a shoulder that is totally different then being off balance because your being pressured with straight line drive.

Still don’t agree but it doesn’t matter. That play isn’t what lost is the game. I listed many more valid reasons for the loss in my op. 

I’m happy the team showed some balls and fought back. On to the next. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I think the classless display by the Northwestern fans and student section should be addressed in some way. I’m all for a raucous and rowdy crowd but that was unacceptable in my opinion. It wasn’t just once either, it was throughout the game.

I guess you pay no attention to our students.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Hard to say when we don’t know what’s being yelled at the refs. It really depends on how vulgar they’re being but you are right that no other team is getting these Techs. I guess it’s up to Woody to call it out publicly if they’re not deserved. Also, wtf is that post game analysis? Rafeal Davis all but admits the ref swallowed the whistle. The other two completely ignored it…zero accountability when a spade isn’t called a spade by the guys with the platform to do it. 

They are paid by the league.  One is a Purdue grad and the other is a douche canoe with a stick still up his ass about Eric Gordon.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

But we can’t turn it over 13 times if we aren’t creating enough to make up the extra possessions. End of the day we gave them 9 extra possessions. That’s why we lost. 

Agree, I'm just saying only forcing 3 is way worse than committing 13. I'm not saying it's great, but 13 isn't a huge, huge number either. 

Only forcing 3 is bad. But yeah, you're right that either way the difference is the overall problem. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not even that worried about turnovers. We had 13, not amazing but not terrible. 

I'm more worried about the fact that we force very few turnovers. Our defense is generally very good, but it would be nice to take pressure off our offense by getting some easy transition buckets off live ball turnovers. 

We only forced 3 tonight. That's not good, and we usually don't force many. 

Fair point. Only forcing 3 turnovers puts a lot of pressure on every other aspect of the defense, and is really just unacceptable. I guess the lob that almost went over the backboard is just stuck in my mind.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Jeez, enough with the complaints about officiating. Yeah, they missed a travel call, but refs miss calls. Getting multiple Ts and giving up 4 points because of that is just stupid and undisciplined. Also, in the second half they missed a pretty obvious goaltending on TJD, and no ref is going to call an offensive foul on that last possession, especially if he doesn’t extend the arm.

We lost because we played like complete garbage in the first half, not because of the refs. I mean, even in the second half, Kopp hit the side of the backboard on an open 3 pointer, and JHS hit the top of the backboard on an easy alley oop in another key situation. 

Good comeback in the second half, and’s not a big deal losing this game if we take care of business on Saturday  

There were 5 bad missed calls / no calls within a few minutes early in the game. The most blatant was calling Bates for a foul when he stole the ball. No contact. No one within 2 feet. Robbed us of a possession and was emblematic of an agenda to take IU out of the game early. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

What does the bold even mean? We weren't smart so we didn't "deserve" calls, but NW was smart so they get away with hacking and traveling? 

It doesn't make any sense. 

Meant we were playing so bad I wasn’t going to complain because a missed call here and there wouldn’t amount to enough to make a difference. Nit picking and our mistakes were causing us to lose not a few missed calls…but at the end it sucks because it was a difference maker in the end. We deserve a fair game…no doubt…a few more calls and maybe we would have gotten over the hump. Poorly worded for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Meant we were playing so bad I wasn’t going to complain because a missed call here and there wouldn’t amount to enough to make a difference. Nit picking and our mistakes were causing us to lose not a few missed calls…but at the end it sucks because it was a difference maker in the end. We deserve a fair game…no doubt…a few more calls and maybe we would have gotten over the hump. Poorly worded for sure.

And you quoted me when I mentioned missed FTs.  WTF?

Great comeback that fell short. Had there been an even whistle, we win this game by 10 plus. The refs are blatantly awful. The NCAA/BIG ten need to seriously do something about this. On a slightly different note, but nonetheless equally frustrating and disappointing is Bates. What does he bring to the table, especially in road games? Nothing. In fact…he’s more of a liability. He’s now scored 0 points in 5 of our last 10 games. That’s not going to cut it…have to figure something out! 

Edited by Hoosier987