Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Meant we were playing so bad I wasn’t going to complain because a missed call here and there wouldn’t amount to enough to make a difference. Nit picking and our mistakes were causing us to lose not a few missed calls…but at the end it sucks because it was a difference maker in the end. We deserve a fair game…no doubt…a few more calls and maybe we would have gotten over the hump. Poorly worded for sure.

I hear what you're saying. I guess my point is that I agree we played bad in the first half (duh, right? 🤣), but I think a big part of our bad play was due to how the refs were calling things. 

Do you need to find a way to overcome that? Sure. But geez is that hard when the other team is being allowed to play at a much higher level of aggressiveness. 

Just now, Inequality said:

Not sure if this angle was already shared or not. 

Keep sharing it. And i wish we could display it on the !big 10 HQ with a Giant projector. 

and i honestly wonder what it will take for the big 10 to realize it has a gambling….. i mean officiating Problem. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

There were 5 bad missed calls / no calls within a few minutes early in the game. The most blatant was calling Bates for a foul when he stole the ball. No contact. No one within 2 feet. Robbed us of a possession and was emblematic of an agenda to take IU out of the game early. 

Refs miss calls and can struggle to find a balance early in games just like players and coaches. Smart teams don’t get multiple technicals over a missed call, especially in the first half. 

You actually think the refs were conspiring against us, like there was some nefarious plot to get us off our game early, instead of us constantly being out of position on defense throughout the first half? Yah, I’m going to bed now. Y’all have at it with the victim stuff. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

That last shot by JHS was on target and nearly went in.  But, like I’ve said before, ‘if my grandma had nuts, she’d be my grandpa…’. On to Illinois —>

I was thinking we should had Galloway shoot the half court shot. He hit one at the buzzer in the first game against NW

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And that insane call on Bates in the first half too when he had the audacity to steal the ball from NW. 

that’s probably in my top 5 worse calls I’ve ever seen. He stole the ball, gained possession, then NW player hit him. I’d rather reds say we are gonna give the home team more calls tonight so be ready.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, IU247 said:

Keep sharing it. And i wish we could display it on the !big 10 HQ with a Giant projector. 

and i honestly wonder what it will take for the big 10 to realize it has a gambling….. i mean officiating Problem. 

Im sure there are some students at IU with some media/ av skills that could pull that off pretty easy. 

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

that’s probably in my top 5 worse calls I’ve ever seen. He stole the ball, gained possession, then NW player hit him. I’d rather reds say we are gonna give the home team more calls tonight so be ready.

Would have been one of our few live ball turnovers of the night too. Maybe we gone on a break and get an easy transition bucket and it settles IU down. Who knows?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I asked for them to get mad and play like a top 15 team and they did. They only lost by 2 and had a major come back despite..

-bad officiating
-back to back Tech
-poor FT shooting
-untimely turnovers 

Don’t agree with most about the push off on the last play. There was barely an extension of the arm - if any - even in slow motion. No way in hell that is going to get called in that moment by any officiating crew in CBB. It was a good, cold blooded shot by Bouie. Props to him. 

We’ll be okay. 

Ok so I can buy the not fully extending his arm but he clearly dipped his shoulder into Gallo’s chest. That is called 98% of the time. Don’t reward a kid for creating space by committing an offensive foul because it’s the end of the game. Reward the good defense and call something that’s clearly a foul in the rule book. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Jeez, enough with the complaints about officiating. Yeah, they missed a travel call, but refs miss calls. Getting multiple Ts and giving up 4 points because of that is just stupid and undisciplined. Also, in the second half they missed a pretty obvious goaltending on TJD, and no ref is going to call an offensive foul on that last possession, especially if he doesn’t extend the arm.

We lost because we played like complete garbage in the first half, not because of the refs. I mean, even in the second half, Kopp hit the side of the backboard on an open 3 pointer, and JHS hit the top of the backboard on an easy alley oop in another key situation. 

Good comeback in the second half, and’s not a big deal losing this game if we take care of business on Saturday  

It's not just about individual calls.  it's about officials dictating the early part of the game with HOW the calls were made, and the fact that significantly favored one team.  They clearly let Northwestern play a style of basketball that should have resulted in a massive amount of fouls in the first half.  Instead, it allowed NW to get the big lead.

If the first 15 minutes of the game were called properly the stuff at the end does not matter because IU is up 10.  

And, I have been watching all levels of basketball from elementary rec leagues to the NBA for over 50 years.  I've never seen a worse call than the foul against Bates for stealing the ball.   I'm totally serious when I say that.  If the ref that called that was actually fixing games, the mob would have him whacked for being too obvious about it.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Congrats to @5fouls for his prediction of a 65-62 win. He was right. Just didn't realize the charge wasn't going to be called.  Galloway then makes a free throw, misses the second, TJD rebounds and puts back in the miss. IU wins 65-62. 

You don't shoot on a player control foul. But.. we would have had the ball with probably.. 4 secs left? 

It feels like the only way the  NCAA will realize it has a gambling.  I mean officiating problem is when its forced to realize and forced to change. 

Just like the NIL.  Without SCOTUS and local governments leading the charge The NCAA would still be suspending players for being given a free cheeseburger.  

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sure. But geez is that hard when the other team is being allowed to play at a much higher level of aggressiveness. 

This is it in a nutshell.  it's not about the individual calls.  It's allowing one team to get a big lead by playing outside the boundaries of the rules for a significantly long period in the first half.  I'm baffled that some people don't seem to understand that.

the fact that we played poorly in the first half was directly impacted by the fact Northwestern was allowed to play the way they did.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2