Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

I didn't notice it during game but was brought up online after. EVO ball being used tonight. Players don't like it but is being used during tourney. Guess something to file back in the brain.

Still pissed that Biuuiueueususueueaaauuuee and however you spell his last name gets to send Trey who is inches taller and heavier 3-4 feet with the shoulder and nothing. 

Damn. Just take it out on Illinois. God knows Underwood won't double the trap post like Collins did.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is it in a nutshell.  it's not about the individual calls.  It's allowing one team to get a big lead by playing outside the boundaries of the rules for a significantly long period in the first half.  I'm baffled that some people don't seem to understand that.

the fact that we played poorly in the first half was directly impacted by the fact Northwestern was allowed to play the way they did.  

Exactly. It's not even about missed calls, it's about the way the game was allowed to be played, especially on one end compared to the other. 

The refs set the tone early and while it wasn't fully responsible for IU's poor play, it did directly contribute. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Truth is, officiating is terrible in all sports anymore. It makes it very difficult to watch and enjoy games. 

100% disagree. Can’t speak to all sports, but the NBA officiating is generally very good. Agreed with your last sentence with regards to big ten officiating though.

• Like 1

My son is all bent out of shape about the technicals.  I'm of the opinion that we don't come back without the technicals.  It showed the team that Coach Woodson has their back. I've personally wanted him to rip some referee ass on a more regular basis than he has so far this year.  At some point, it's so bad you just can't take it any more.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I’ll be damned, got swept by NW this season 

I guarantee you if we get the chance to play them a third time, the outcome would be very, very different.  I just hope it's in the NCAA tournament where our odds of decent officiating is better than we would have in the BTT.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was happy to see Race step in the second half and hopefully that will get him going for the rest of the year.  I am proud of the guys for dighing deep and getting g back into the game and tied it.

I am very worried about Bates and starting to wonder if he will be a good player for us.

I am over bates and his terrible shots. I’d much rather CJ Gunn or Banks take his minutes and force Tamar to battle his way back or if he doesn’t like a challenge then Woody can show him the door.

Watched on about an hour tape delay - almost just checked the score at halftime and went to bed, but glad I didn't. 

• The officiating was terrible. Beyond all the awful examples we've already given, the two techs should have only been three free throws.  Class B techs are 1 shot. Not sure if that changes how NW plays it at the end, but we should have actually been up 1 at that point.
  • Free throw shooting really hurt; percentage was fine, but realistically it was more like 15-22 than 15-20 because of the front ends we missed. 
  • The pass from JHS with a minute to go I'd really like back - it was there. Not sure if it slipped or he rushed it but man.
  • Booie hit two junk shit shots late. I can live with those. 
  • I loved the fight. I think 5 weeks ago we'd have rolled over with how the first half went but we came back and probably should have won. 
  • Race might be back - that could be a huge development for this team.

Overall, love the fight. Clean some things up and win these next two winnable games, then gear up for Purdue. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Don’t agree with most about the push off on the last play. There was barely an extension of the arm - if any - even in slow motion. No way in hell that is going to get called in that moment by any officiating crew in CBB. It was a good, cold blooded shot by Bouie. Props to him. 

Ummm...No.

Not that I expect a visiting team to get the call, but that was a pretty serious shove to make space for the shot.  No props for the forearm jumper for the win.

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I am over bates and his terrible shots. I’d much rather CJ Gunn or Banks take his minutes and force Tamar to battle his way back or if he doesn’t like a challenge then Woody can show him the door.

We know he has the skills. The least effective way to develop talent for next year is for a fan to ruin his progress. Him and his daughter kindly request that you shut the negative vibes down. 
help instead of hinder, brother. 

48 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I think the classless display by the Northwestern fans and student section should be addressed in some way. I’m all for a raucous and rowdy crowd but that was unacceptable in my opinion. It wasn’t just once either, it was throughout the game.

Agree with this. I know our students act like students too, but it became over the top after about the 5th time they chanted it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1