Illinois II Pregame Thread

IUFLA

Borderline must win between the NW loss and the two road games following this. We play well at home and we spanked them on the road already, so no reason to think we can't win, but I do think Illinois is also going to be playing with their hair on fire.

I wonder what type of video we will release before the game since it's such a big rivalry? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We'll see if Underwood is as hard headed as he appears. If he singles Trayce again TJD could have 35. I'll take any win but a good boat racing ala 2002 wouldn't be bad either. We just need a feel good game....Bates, TG, MK hitting 3's....get those smiles flowing again after that bad taste vs Northwestern.

If I'm an Illinois fan I don't like facing us at home coming off a pissed off loss. I'm thinking 84-67 has a nice ring to it.

• Like 8

Couple of notes from our game in Champaign...

We had 4 starters in double figures (TJD, Galloway, Geronimo, and JHS...Kopp was the lone exception)

We only got 5 points (all by Malik Reneau) off the bench

Race, of course, didn't play

We shot 61% from the floor

We turned it over 14 times...Mainly having trouble breaking their press (Gotta wonder if Underwood is going to start pressing earlier)

They shot 23 free throws (not sure how many 1-1s ;) ) but only made 9 (39%)

We only shot 13 Freebies hitting 9 as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We'll see if Underwood is as hard headed as he appears. If he singles Trayce again TJD could have 35. I'll take any win but a good boat racing ala 2002 wouldn't be bad either. We just need a feel good game....Bates, TG, MK hitting 3's....get those smiles flowing again after that bad taste vs Northwestern.

If I'm an Illinois fan I don't like facing us at home coming off a pissed off loss. I'm thinking 84-67 has a nice ring to it.

Well at halftime of your game in the suburbs I was thinking, "man IU is going to be mad! Not good!" But then the second half comeback I was thinking, "man IU is going to be sad! Maybe good?" But in the end that stuff really doesn't matter. It's a home game for IU and a big crowd that will be noisy.

I'm interested in how Brad defends TJD as well. Most likely will start with the same strategy of not doubling/trapping. 

Biggest change for Illinois from the first game is probably Ty Rodgers, he's been playing more minutes and gained a bunch of confidence. They even ran some plays for him vs PSU.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Well at halftime of your game in the suburbs I was thinking, "man IU is going to be mad! Not good!" But then the second half comeback I was thinking, "man IU is going to be sad! Maybe good?" But in the end that stuff really doesn't matter. It's a home game for IU and a big crowd that will be noisy.

I'm interested in how Brad defends TJD as well. Most likely will start with the same strategy of not doubling/trapping. 

Biggest change for Illinois from the first game is probably Ty Rodgers, he's been playing more minutes and gained a bunch of confidence. They even ran some plays for him vs PSU.

My Illini buddies said if Underwood isn't using some sort of trap or after entry pass to TJD trap they are going to have serious issues with staff. With that said I think Illinois had their most success vs us in 1st matchup using a press. Not sure if they have enough bodies to do it all the time but that might be an option.

Been noticing Rodgers for sure. We'll see what happens. Not a good time to be facing us for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Where do you guys get the knuckleheads that write these articles?  

"Jackson-Davis  is doing most of his work inside the three-point arc."

Most? 😂 

"I  would say Illinois should throw Dain Dainja at him, but Dainja had three fouls in the last game and couldn’t stop Jackson-Davis."

Uhhhh...

"Without Mayer on offense, Illinois gets constipated"

😯

"Mayer is 6-foot-9, so having him in there to be able to match up against Jackson-Davis is going to be important."

😂😂😂😂 

"But Epps is also a good three-point shooter."

"As of late, Epps’ three-point shooting has been off. He is just 1-of- 20 from distance in his last four contests"

Stop... Just 🛑 

I didn't read the next article by this twit...

Illinois Basketball: Illini path to win the Big Ten regular season outright 

Were there like wrecks, lepers, or police involved?

😂😂😂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Yes, it's like trading your Ford Pinto for an AMC Gremlin.

When I was in high school, I rode to school with a friend who had a Pinto. Every time it rained, he had to pull the spark plugs and dry off the condensation before it would start.

Another friend had a Gremlin. One time we went over a railroad track and the rear window popped out of the hatch and shattered on the street.

They were fine 70s American cars.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

When I was in high school, I rode to school with a friend who had a Pinto. Every time it rained, he had to pull the spark plugs and dry off the condensation before it would start.

Another friend had a Gremlin. One time we went over a railroad track and the rear window popped out of the hatch and shattered on the street.

They were fine 70s American cars.

My parents had a really sweet red Pinto back in the day. Interestingly enough, I listened to a “You’re Wrong About” podcast that corrected the historical version of the Pinto being more explosion prone than other cars of the time. 

My first car a green Gremlin that we called the “weed machine.” Gee, I wonder why…

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

My parents had a really sweet red Pinto back in the day. Interestingly enough, I listened to a “You’re Wrong About” podcast that corrected the historical version of the Pinto being more explosion prone than other cars of the time. 

My first car a green Gremlin that we called the “weed machine.” Gee, I wonder why…

image.gif.a79ac2e28edef158c1614f960865d478.gif

• Haha 5

This was my mid-70s mistake... 1977 Chevy Monza Spyder...Bought it brand new... 

Screenshot_20230217-173450.thumb.png.7ba04f8d9b266e6ba4c68908788492c8.png

Had a 305 V-8...

Had the alternator belt go at 4,000 miles...dealership wouldn't put a new one on... When I put a new one on myself, I broke the alternator bracket tightening it up...

Cheap piece of junk..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My hope is that the Underwood double teams TJD and our shooters get the opportunity to go off. I would love to have 20+ 3 point attempts hitting close to 40%. TJD doesn't really need more confidence. We need Bates, Kopp and Galloway to have confidence from 3 heading into the road games in at BarfZone and Purdue.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Yes, it's like trading your Ford Pinto for an AMC Gremlin.

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This was my mid-70s mistake... 1977 Chevy Monza Spyder...Bought it brand new... 

Screenshot_20230217-173450.thumb.png.7ba04f8d9b266e6ba4c68908788492c8.png

Had a 305 V-8...

Had the alternator belt go at 4,000 miles...dealership wouldn't put a new one on... When I put a new one on myself, I broke the alternator bracket tightening it up...

Cheap piece of junk..

I have no regrets derailing this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SawatchHoosier said:

My hope is that the Underwood double teams TJD and our shooters get the opportunity to go off. I would love to have 20+ 3 point attempts hitting close to 40%. TJD doesn't really need more confidence. We need Bates, Kopp and Galloway to have confidence from 3 heading into the road games in at BarfZone and Purdue.

Coach gave a pretty good answer the other night where he said double teams are great if we read and react properly. I'm with you though I wouldn't mind one of those pumping the 3's in game if they double TJD all game. Shoot Trayce could have 15 assists if he wants.

• Like 1