• Race
    • Trayce
    • Bates
    • Galloway
    • Geronimo
    • Malik
    • Banks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/20/2023 at 10:49 PM

Maybe it's just me, but...

Some of y'all seem to think we should win every game by double digits...Illinois has a ton of talented kids, and they played hard today....

As far as JHS goes, if he did what some of you wanted ("QUIT SHOOTING!") we would have never won the game...they kids a competitor and a gamer...he didn't hang his head after the pass Coleman picked off and jammed (and it was a bad turnover)...He came right back down and made some winning plays for us...He's a winner...

Did he make some bad plays? Sure, he's a freshman...But I'll take him on my team any day...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Some of y'all seem to think we should win every game by double digits...Illinois has a ton of talented kids, and they played hard today....

As far as JHS goes, if he did what some of you wanted ("QUIT SHOOTING!") we would have never won the game...they kids a competitor and a gamer...he didn't hang his head after the pass Coleman picked off and jammed (and it was a bad turnover)...He came right back down and made some winning plays for us...He's a winner...

Did he make some bad plays? Sure, he's a freshman...But I'll take him on my team any day...

I don’t think anyone thinks we should win every game by 20. There was nothing but praise after Michigan - everyone can live with days that shots may not be falling but guys are competing.

For 30 minutes today we just didn’t compete and play with effort. I don’t want to hear any crap that we played with effort, Mike Woodson said we weren’t.

We played hard for ten minutes, not particularly good, just hard, and it was enough to win. Pretty easy for people to think given the stakes of this game people would want to see the effort of the last ten minutes for all forty minutes. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

And NOBODY wants JHS to just stop shooting, but we do want him to stop forcing bad shots. Today he was 5-17 though (terrible), so he needs to positively affect the game in other ways…. like not turn it over 5 times, be more selective with his shots, and continue to play solid D (got beat quite a bit today). I’m sure we all understand late in the shot clock bad shots, but he took a lot of early in the shot clock long twos that weren’t good shots. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wanted to give it to JHS, but 5 TO's were huge. Even though TJD had 5 as well, he was trying to things outside of his wheel house. JHS TO's came at bad times. (not sure there is ever a good time, but JHS's seemed to be crucial to IL momentum, and the lazy pass at the end of the game that Hawkins intercepted was the worst.

But JHS made some crucial plays down the stretch, and he gets my  "at-a-boy" award for the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think anyone thinks we should win every game by 20. There was nothing but praise after Michigan - everyone can live with days that shots may not be falling but guys are competing.

For 30 minutes today we just didn’t compete and play with effort. I don’t want to hear any crap that we played with effort, Mike Woodson said we weren’t.

We played hard for ten minutes, not particularly good, just hard, and it was enough to win. Pretty easy for people to think given the stakes of this game people would want to see the effort of the last ten minutes for all forty minutes. 

Then how did we even stay in the game if we only competed for 10 minutes? That's completely absurd...

When you say effort, I take it an accusatory word that a kid is being lazy or doesn't care...and I don't think anything could be further from the truth... 

They always play with "effort." Do they ramp it up at times? Sure they do... and it's Mike Woodson's job to get them there... Today, he did... 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Then how did we even stay in the game if we only competed for 10 minutes? That's completely absurd...

When you say effort, I take it an accusatory word that a kid is being lazy or doesn't care...and I don't think anything could be further from the truth... 

They always play with "effort." Do they ramp it up at times? Sure they do... and it's Mike Woodson's job to get them there... Today, he did... 

we stayed in the game because Illinois wasn’t very good either and was missing their best player.

I can’t really say much about how you feel when anyone, Mike Woodson included, says they aren’t playing with effort but you’re assigning things to it that it doesn’t mean. Can’t help you there. 

They don’t always play with effort. They didn’t in the three game losing streak and they didn’t for much of today. That does not mean anyone is lazy or doesn’t care, it simply means they aren’t doing the hard work it takes to win games. 

I know you think I always harp on it but that’s incredibly untrue; we’ve had plenty of games that weren’t great but it wasn’t because of our effort level. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

we stayed in the game because Illinois wasn’t very good either and was missing their best player.

So them missing Shannon is crippling, but our losing XJ is... Well... An excuse? 

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They didn’t in the three game losing streak

Missing 40% of our starting lineup? You go out of your way to say them losing Shannon was such a big deal, but 2 of the 3 games in that losing streak we lost by 1 point to pretty good teams, and having Race and XJ out doesn't matter? At least be consistent... 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

they aren’t doing the hard work it takes to win games. 

Wait... We lost? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So them missing Shannon is crippling, but our losing XJ is... Well... An excuse? 

Missing 40% of our starting lineup? You go out of your way to say them losing Shannon was such a big deal, but 2 of the 3 games in that losing streak we lost by 1 point to pretty good teams, and having Race and XJ out doesn't matter? At least be consistent... 

Wait... We lost? 

We won because we turned up the effort the last ten minutes. The stats prove that, Mike Woodson’s own words about our effort prove that.

We all love IU and want IU to win, but that doesn’t mean we have to pretend we played hard today when we didn’t. You aren’t defending the players when you get upset about their effort level, you’re selling them short for what they’re capable of. 

• Like 1