Michigan II State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Not a ton of expectations this week. Maybe makes me a bad fan but when the schedule came out I chalked this week up as a loss.

No clue what to expect at East Lansing. So much emotion do they just come out on all cylinders? Or does the emotion cause them to be off on shooting because their so jacked up?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not a ton of expectations this week. Maybe makes me a bad fan but when the schedule came out I chalked this week up as a loss.

No clue what to expect at East Lansing. So much emotion do they just come out on all cylinders? Or does the emotion cause them to be off on shooting because their so jacked up?

Same. Not going to overreact to 2 losses this week 

• Like 2

A desperate MSU team at home. IU has to play clean ball to compete. The endless (senseless) turnovers have to stop. The forced shots early in the clock have to stop.  

No surprises in this game. Rebounding will be a major factor. IU getting good shots (actually getting shots) is also big. Why? Because MSU will run on every missed shot and turnover to score before IU can set up their defense. When MSU does run offense, it will be through Hauser the 15th year senior. 

I'm not sure how much longer IU can go with basically seven players. I said it before, Geronimo and Bates need to get it together and play their roles. Tamar 'May The Force Be With You' Bates has to play like a guy late into his second season. Geronimo needs to play D and rebound. The constant fouling is hurting his team.

As for Race, he's out there battling but clearly not 100%. He can't get off the ground or move like he did pre-injury. Anything he offers now is icing on the cake. Thanks to him being the wily veteran he's still able to contribute, as long as it's within four feet of the basket. Malik has to pick up the slack on the boards, with his defense. Gotta stop fouling at such a high rate.

I'd expect Izzo to be on the refs as they pull into the parking lot. CMW has to fight for his team and give them a semblance of fairness with the calls.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 1

Rewatched the first game... MSU lead by 7-9 for most of the first half... We made a big run at the 5 minute mark of the first, fueled by Tamar.

Second half was a dogfight and not pretty, but we just out-toughed them.

Trayce did not have his best game, nor did JHS...

But our bench was solid (Bates, Reneau) and Galloway had a good shooting game.

I don't think we can afford a slow start. I expect another hard fought game... If we can get them down in the second half, I like our chances... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, loviubb said:

Do YOU like IU? The young MAN REPRESENTS IU!! He became a father at IU!  HE is IU FAMILY!!! HE gives his all!!!

I couldn’t agree more. All these young men want to do well, and I’m sure Tamar is more disappointed than any of us. He knows that he’s not playing up to his potential, and it’s obviously a mental (confidence) thing at this point, but hopefully, he’ll get it figured out because he’s an extremely talented player. Two other highly touted players (McDonalds All Americans) that struggled mightily in their first couple of years come to mind - Landon Turner and Daryl Thomas, and they both ended up winning National Championships! CMW hasn’t given up on Tamar, and we shouldn’t either. 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

Was just reviewing MSU's roster and noticed the following:

- No products of Indiana high school basketball.  Izzo used to make a living snagging kids from the Hoosier State.

- A whole lot of Prep/Academy players on the roster.  Is there such a thing as too many players from that type of environment?  Could that be a factor in the disappointing 16-10 record?  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Was just reviewing MSU's roster and noticed the following:

- No products of Indiana high school basketball.  Izzo used to make a living snagging kids from the Hoosier State.

- A whole lot of Prep/Academy players on the roster.  Is there such a thing as too many players from that type of environment?  Could that be a factor in the disappointing 16-10 record?  

Give it a couple years…IU will get there 😉

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Also same. Don’t expect us to win both, and won’t be overreacting if we lose both. 

I’d say it’s likely we lose both but we’re absolutely good enough to win either or both. Winning at MSU would solidify my belief that we CAN win the whole damn thing with a healthy XJ because it will just speak to the mental toughness we’ve developed. Regardless, just compete. We shouldn’t be losing by 10+ to MSU. Purdue is a taller task for sure, but we’re talented enough. If we do lose both this week, it’s absolutely imperative we win the last two home games if we want to stay on the 4/5 line. And still gives us an outside shot to move up to a 3 with a Big10 tournament title. Don’t think we can fall further than a 6 at this point which wouldn’t bother me at all given the likely 3’s this year. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DWB said:

Tamar is a very nice young man. No qualms at all with him there.

His play of late has been detrimental to us winning. Getting beat on defense (alot), making bad passes, he's just not focused, or so it seems. If he was scoring 10-12 pt s a game you could put up with that somewhat...perhaps. But for the last 3-4 games he's been subpar.

My 2¢

You musant say anything negative... ALWAYS be a homer...or youll upset the flock...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

I've  given Tamar a hard time this season when it is deserved. Sadly, that's more often than anyone would like but the stats and what we see in-game do not lie.

He's scored a total four points in the past three games (all against Illinois). Hasn't scored in double digits since the first MSU game on 1/22 (adding three total steals and hitting three total threes since that same time) while still getting decent minutes in spite of it. He's a virtual no show in every road game and unpredictable at home.

A guy who has played 59 official games at IU should be further along. His best skills appear to be the spot up jumper from three and scoring in transition. He's not a great ball handler, passer, and for his size doesn't rebound at a high rate (spectator when shots go up). His shot selection is at best suspect. He's a decent, at times, defender but not a lock down defender, and he frequently gets lost. For a guy 6'5 190 you don't see him taking advantage of smaller defenders or going by bigger defenders.  Where does that leave Tamar?

At this point, he has to figure out what he can do to help this team win down the stretch. It is unlikely we will see drastic improvements in his basketball skills this season. That will need to be done in the offseason. Still, he can make better decisions on offense and give more effort on defense. If all you get out of him is a reliable spot up jumper, getting out in transition, AND becoming more of an impact player on defense, it would help this team. 

The hardest thing about criticizing Tamar is everyone wants him to succeed. Everyone likes him and you want to believe he has the talent to be so much better. It starts with being a smarter basketball player and not trying to force things to happen. 

To be fair we can say similar things about Jordan and the reality is Logan should have been able to contribute by this point in his career. It is unfortunate but X and Race's injuries ended up highlighting the flaws in others. The good news is each of them has enough talent to become what IU needs. The bad news is, IU doesn't have time to wait on them this season.

Perfect...

1 hour ago, Dawg Bawls said:

You musant say anything negative... ALWAYS be a homer...or youll upset the flock...

Not upset at all, just wanted to point out that there’s still time for him to turn it around and become the player we all expected him to be. And most importantly, I’m sure he’s not satisfied with the way he’s performed this year.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1