Michigan II State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

20 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I think it's safe to say that TJD is fully aware of his doubters and has obviously used that as motivation as well as adding fuel to his overall game. 

Side note.....When I saw Illinois guard, Mathew Mayer mock TJD with his rendition of his "raise the roof", I thought,....."Man, that was a bad idea! That kind of cocky $#iT in enemy territory is classless and only going to bite you in the A$$!"

I'd be angry too if this dude was mocking me..

image.png.e9c1944475fa0f279fee5c25ee0c23ad.png

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I taught special needs students for 9 years and did a fair amount of coaching as well. Left teaching in the late 80’s and it was a problem then. Can only imagine how much worse it is today 

I too, did coaching girls basketball and softball for 15+ years. Coaching was so fun and often times incredibly rewarding. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching and it too is fun and rewarding, it is just fewer and far between these days.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow..... I'm a HS teacher in public education for 28 years now. I read that last line and could easily replace the words officials and officiating with the words "teacher/teachers" and that is public education right now.

I've always said BIG TEN basketball is a multi-million dollar product and the referees should paid as if they are refereeing a multi-million dollar product. The better the pay for officials the better the product will be. The better product includes increased transparency between officials and fans leading to less overreaction and BS from the crazies.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2

My motto for tonight is "survive for five."  We have to survive those first five minutes when the initial onslaught fueled by the crowd and emotion will hit.  If we can do that we have a chance.  After that we have to survive the critical last five/first five of the first and second halves to make sure the game doesn't get away from us in those stretches. Then we have to survive the last five minutes of the game to pull out the win.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow..... I'm a HS teacher in public education for 28 years now. I read that last line and could easily replace the words officials and officiating with the words "teacher/teachers" and that is public education right now. Replace with in crazy/dangerous parents then add lazy and entitled students. Pretty sad and frustrating. JMO, and I don't mean to bring this to the board. Just had to vent a bit.

I can only imagine, but thanks for what you do.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

https://247sports.com/college/michigan-state/board/93/Contents/forks-down-tofficial-game-thread-221-msu-vs-hoosiers-205083967/?page=1

Interesting take about the IU game from Michigan State fans.....

Most think Izzo will most likely let TJD get his and not dbbl him....

“His” could be 30-18…..just ask underwear 🩲 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

https://247sports.com/college/michigan-state/board/93/Contents/forks-down-tofficial-game-thread-221-msu-vs-hoosiers-205083967/?page=1

I sure hope they are that stupid. Can't wait until the postgame if he does that, "I just never thought he could go for 43 and 24 with 7 blocks. He should be a player of the year candidate if he's this good, Bilas told me not to worry about him." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow..... I'm a HS teacher in public education for 28 years now. I read that last line and could easily replace the words officials and officiating with the words "teacher/teachers" and that is public education right now. Replace with in crazy/dangerous parents then add lazy and entitled students. Pretty sad and frustrating. JMO, and I don't mean to bring this to the board. Just had to vent a bit.

As a fellow educator and hoops junkie, this post is my early on favorite for post of the year. Couldn't be more true. I got in trouble one time at school, was scared to go home (not because my environment was unsafe, I respected my parents). Now when kids get in trouble, they (parents) try to blame the teachers or admins first, instead of their own child. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I sure hope they are that stupid. Can't wait until the postgame if he does that, "I just never thought he could go for 43 and 24 with 7 blocks. He should be a player of the year candidate if he's this good, Bilas told me not to worry about him." 

I'd certainly love to see those numbers.  But without some help from everyone else...we could still lose, obviously.  Someone else and preferably more than one other player has to score their average or more.  JMHO.  Go Hoosiers!   😊

Edited by jv1972iu

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

I'd certainly love to see those numbers.  But without some help from everyone else...we could still lose, obviously.  Someone else and preferably more than one other player has to score their average or more.  JMHO.  Go Hoosiers!   😊

We could lose no matter how they play us, but if you tell me right now their strategy is to let TJD play 1 on 1 I'm putting money on us. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

There's no way based on our guard play and the issues we've had with double teams that they're gonna let TJD simply get his. I know Izzo might be past his coaching prime but he's not that dumb nor are his fan base...right?

3 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I've always said BIG TEN basketball is a multi-million dollar product and the referees should paid as if they are referring a multi-million dollar product. The better the pay for officials the better the product will be. The better product includes increased transparency between officials and fans leading to less overreaction and BS from the crazies.

I couldn't disagree more with this. There has never been a direct link between pay and better performance for an individual BEFORE the fact of better performance.

So using your logic, it's OK for officials to be half-assed because (in your opinion) they are not paid enough. If you increase the pay for them before they improve, then they should automatically get better. Sorry...but ain't gonna happen.

In my 50 years of working for other people and myself, I've never seen someone get a salary increase BEFORE their performance improved. Maybe you have,  but I have to think it is a rarity, unless it's union labor. (which doesn't apply to refs)

15 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

There's no way based on our guard play and the issues we've had with double teams that they're gonna let TJD simply get his. I know Izzo might be past his coaching prime but he's not that dumb nor are his fan base...right?

I was thinking the same thing..... I mean, Underwood doubled TJD the second time and that stemmed the tide a little, but was more effective than the first game. It's a "pick your poison" scenario that most coaches don't want to have to prepare for. All I can say is TJD is on different level right now and seems to have that look in his eyes. He will get his one way or another... 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

I couldn't disagree more with this. There has never been a direct link between pay and better performance for an individual BEFORE the fact of better performance.

So using your logic, it's OK for officials to be half-assed because (in your opinion) they are not paid enough. If you increase the pay for them before they improve, then they should automatically get better. Sorry...but ain't gonna happen.

In my 50 years of working for other people and myself, I've never seen someone get a salary increase BEFORE their performance improved. Maybe you have,  but I have to think it is a rarity, unless it's union labor. (which doesn't apply to refs)

My thought is the big ten offering better pay to refs they would be able to draw and select from a better talent pool. Just my 2 cents. 

I would never offer many of the current Big Ten officials salary increases.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

My thought is the big ten offering better pay to refs they would be able to draw and select from a better talent pool. Just my 2 cents. 

I would never offer many of the current Big Ten officials salary increases.

THAT is an entirely different scenario my friend. That is something that has merit. Hopefully....(it hasn't worked out so well with gov't employees/congress, but that may be a one-off)

Edited by DWB

Michigan State owns our Hoosiers at the Breslin Center, beating Indiana 23 out of 25 games. I don’t expect the IUMBB to win another Big10 road game, but I hope they will at least avoid losing big like they have in so many of these conference games in this Century. I hope to hell they prove me wrong. Go Hoosiers.