MSU Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my small memory. Woodson might be drawing on it. IU went up to Illinois and Knight benched all of his starters not named Alford. Maybe Woodson was doing the same in final 4 minutes. Benched everyone not named JHS. Could be something....maybe not. Just a recollection. 

The Nostradamus of IU basketball just spoke spoke everyone...take notes...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my small memory. Woodson might be drawing on it. IU went up to Illinois and Knight benched all of his starters not named Alford. Maybe Woodson was doing the same in final 4 minutes. Benched everyone not named JHS. Could be something....maybe not. Just a recollection. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1985/02/03/knight-first-principles-precede-second-guessers/5a601063-cef9-4668-8011-ed128de1f775/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Actually he benched Alford, only starter to play was Uwe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ForHumanity said:

I think it is rather obvious what took place tonight with the IU MSU game. First home game since the shooting MSU was planned to win. IU took the money and TANKED on purpose. Jackson and the rest of the team played with little emotion builds the case. Woody sporting a M strong shirt was the icing on the cake. Let's thank Izzo for leaving his starters in till the very end while IU had subs out there.  No more needs to be said about crybaby Izzo. We witnessed a rigged game to play to emotional enslavement. Sad times.

Is this the same person that said JHS was shaving points the other night just under a new user name.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I'm a few beers deep so maybe my memory is skewed but didn't both ESPN guys refer to X as 'Xavier Jones' in the beginning of of the game? lol

Custer did.  Not sure about Bilas.  Too much time preparing for the MSU side of the story, I guess.  But, hell, Custer did our game Saturday against Illinois.  He should have already had that down.

6 hours ago, ForHumanity said:

I think it is rather obvious what took place tonight with the IU MSU game. First home game since the shooting MSU was planned to win. IU took the money and TANKED on purpose. Jackson and the rest of the team played with little emotion builds the case. Woody sporting a M strong shirt was the icing on the cake. Let's thank Izzo for leaving his starters in till the very end while IU had subs out there.  No more needs to be said about crybaby Izzo. We witnessed a rigged game to play to emotional enslavement. Sad times.

I saw Elvis in the stands.  

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So saw somewhere that Big Ten teams are 7-26 on the road in February.  Does anyone really believe that many teams are that better at home?  I don't.  It is how games are called.  

This league is good for money but the actual product has a bit of WWE feel to it.  The whole "Spartan Strong" stuff...just feels like a production so often.

I couldnt help but ask myself if Bobby would have wore that shirt...Its ok to say good things AFTER the game but it takes away the competitiveness before/ during, but like they said last game ... they trying to get rid of taunting, its this kumbaya world we live in now... sports have taken the place of tribal conflict..Irish, Scots, etc, for good reason, but should still be a place for men to battle.

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

I couldnt help but ask myself if Bobby would have wore that shirt...Its ok to say good things AFTER the game but it takes away the competitiveness before/ during, but like they said last game ... they trying to get rid of taunting, its this kumbaya world we live in now... sports have taken the place of tribal conflict..Irish, Scots, etc, for good reason, but should still be a place for men to battle.

I would have worn the hoodie because I hated coaching in a suit, simple as that. 

As poorly as we played, the game did seem a lot closer than 15. 

I was driving to school this morning and trying to wrap my head around the parts of the game that really stood out in my mind.

•   TJD looked tired and played a step slow and had 7 of IU's 13 turnovers.
  • JHS looked tired (very quiet 16 pts), no rhythm, early fouls hurt
  • Tyson Walker 5-7 from 3 (avg. 1.8 per game) and a game high 23 pts. (his avg. is 14 ppg)
  • IU's bench was a terrible (scored 6 pts total)
  • We got out rebounded by a ton.
  • All due respect, Michigan St Strong was a huge part of this game.
Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

Some things are bigger than the games we enjoy. It was the right thing for our kids and staff to do.

That we live in a world where things like this happen is sad beyond words.

I'm sure the whole atmosphere put us at a mental disadvantage, but that's ok. We did the right thing...

It is, after all, only a game... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Some things are bigger than the games we enjoy. It was the right thing for our kids and staff to do.

That we live in a world where things like this happen is sad beyond words.

I'm sure the whole atmosphere put us at a mental disadvantage, but that's ok. We did the right thing...

It is, after all, only a game... 

There's a lot of truth to this. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't thing any team was going to beat Michigan St's 1st home game back since the terrible tragedy! It is like they dug deep and found a new gear and we were just in a fog.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Taped it, but sounds like I won’t be needing or wanting to watch. 

I thought this was pretty funny though on CBS Sports in the game recap:

After the under 8 TO in the first... turn it off lol 

We were really good the first 12 mins and then.... not so good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

After the under 8 TO in the first... turn it off lol 

We were really good the first 12 mins and then.... not so good. 

Funny, as I was falling asleep I checked the score on my phone and we were up by 7 early. Went to sleep hopeful, but honestly not expecting the lead to hold at MSU. Sounds like TJD is gassed and our bench has disappeared. 

On to Purdue!

17 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Taped it, but sounds like I won’t be needing or wanting to watch. 

I thought this was pretty funny though on CBS Sports in the game recap:

Yeah, don’t!

This game, next to AZ, was the most frustrating game I’ve watched all year.

….in the sense that: anytime we looked like we could get some momentum going we’d A) Turn the ball over B) Not get a defensive rebound after playing a tough defensive possession or C) MSU would hit a tough shot that, if shots could talk, would say “nope, not tonight”. 

• Like 3

Meh. Not overly concerned with a loss here, as there was a lot of emotion going on, so tough environment. However, I will say that this team is starting to remind me of some of those Crean teams that would run out of gas in the second half of the season. That being said, I'm not sure there's much Woody can do with the (lack of) bench production we're getting. I'm also not overly concerned with our seeding for the tournaments coming up. Hold serve at home, and we should get a double bye in the BTT and be in the 4-6 range in the NCAA. If we're seeing this kind of effort in those last two homes games, time for some alarm bells to be going off.

I'd also say that I'm happy for the MSU students. College is a place for inclusivity, for coming together and meeting new people and cultures, and what happened to them is going to have a ripple effect in some negative ways with respect to that, so it was good to see those kids have something positive to enjoy for a night.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

There's a lot of truth to this. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't thing any team was going to beat Michigan St's 1st home game back since the terrible tragedy! It is like they dug deep and found a new gear and we were just in a fog.

Yeah, it was nice that the Hoosiers could be the Washington Generals last night

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1