MSU Post Game Thread

KDB

Move on to the next one. Hoping for a much more energetic and focused effort. Another performance like last night Saturday and we'll be in for a 25 or 30 point shellacking.  But agree with others - the last two home games will be best indicators whether we are heading into post-season on an upswing, downswing, or flat.

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

There's a lot of truth to this. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't thing any team was going to beat Michigan St's 1st home game back since the terrible tragedy! It is like they dug deep and found a new gear and we were just in a fog.

I think we could have won, in that our A game is better than their A game, but it was going to take our A game to win with all the circumstances and we just didn't have it last night.

Lots going against us last night, but more than anything MSU played great and we did not. I don't think it's a referendum on the season or the team (haven't seen anyone say that). Team just needs to get back on track as the past few games haven't been our best basketball - we've got a great opportunity in front of us to fix that heading into postseason play. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we could have won, in that our A game is better than their A game, but it was going to take our A game to win with all the circumstances and we just didn't have it last night.

Lots going against us last night, but more than anything MSU played great and we did not. I don't think it's a referendum on the season or the team (haven't seen anyone say that). Team just needs to get back on track as the past few games haven't been our best basketball - we've got a great opportunity in front of us to fix that heading into postseason play. 

I emphasized your above statement...... This was almost an impossible task to walk out of there with a win last night "with all the circumstances". I feel if we play Michigan St. later, after their first home game is played, emotions have tempered down a bit, it's different outcome.

• Like 3

If this is any consolation or potential good news for IU moving forward......., we may be able to finally have some welcomed depth when X finally returns. We will be fresh and hopefully ready to contribute the last two game and on into the BIGTEN tourney and NCAA tourney. This will definitely help JHS, but TJD needs some help so he is not gassed by the 10 min mark of the second half.

• Like 1

Anyone besides me wish Race wouldn't have passed on shooting the open 3's? He had at least 3 different wide open opportunities. He looked like he was over thinking each time, but passed. We just needed 1 or 2 more of those to go down and that may have completely opened up the game.......

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Anyone besides me wish Race wouldn't have passed on shooting the open 3's he had at least 3 different times? He looked like he was over thinking about them each time, but passed. We just needed 1 or 2 more of those to go down and that may have completely opened up the game.......

There was a time when I wanted him to take those, but I'm ok with him not shooting them any more. I posted stats on him a week or two ago, and he was something like 3 of his last 28 or something like that, and it's clearly in his head now - that was pretty obvious last night when he thought about it multiple times, hesitated, and all that. You're not making that shot if you have to think about it that much.

Same reason I don't want Miller posting up - we have multiple guys that are better at shooting 3s, we just need to do a better job at getting them open looks.

• Like 1

At this point, I'd be happy if they can take the two home games and call it a regular season at 12-8 in conference.

They have been bad on the road more often than not all seasons, so last night was not new or surprising except when you consider just how poor the defense was; how little they competed on the boards; and how easily they folded the last 8 minutes of the game.

CMW made the decision weeks ago to primarily run with seven and I believe we are seeing the impact. Trayce is losing his legs and especially late in games. You see it in his FTs. Last night he had zero blocks and couldn't keep the kid from MSU off the glass and at times couldn't get shots over him. That's not the TJD we've seen most of the season.

I liked that CMW let Banks and Gunn get into the game even if it was just a few minutes. They have fresh legs and bring the energy they are not getting from Tamar and Jordan currently.

3 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

This was just a bad game that we hadn't see for a while. Additionally, screw ESPN and their garbage programming. 

ESPN: "Tom Izzo just really wants for this game to be a happy distraction for a couple hours...

...but F@#$ THAT GUY WE ARE GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP"

Someone said in the game thread that they will be happy when we don't play on ESPN anymore.  I agree and it is because of stuff like last night.  ESPN has to "Olympics" so many of the games they show.  Spartan Strong every commercial last night, Edey's Mom, Davidson's girlfriend who happens to be a former IUWBB player....and if it isn't pushing that, it is pushing some other narrative they want to shove down your throat.  (Duke/UNC being a favorite of mine).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Consider this more of an observation than a critique, but our point guard was tied for the lead in number of shots taken, but trailed Race in assists.

In his defense, I feel we only have one other starter who consistently hunts for his shot in games.  The other 3 usually defer to a fault.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

At this point, I'd be happy if they can take the two home games and call it a regular season at 12-8 in conference.

They have been bad on the road more often than not all seasons, so last night was not new or surprising except when you consider just how poor the defense was; how little they competed on the boards; and how easily they folded the last 8 minutes of the game.

CMW made the decision weeks ago to primarily run with seven and I believe we are seeing the impact. Trayce is losing his legs and especially late in games. You see it in his FTs. Last night he had zero blocks and couldn't keep the kid from MSU off the glass and at times couldn't get shots over him. That's not the TJD we've seen most of the season.

I liked that CMW let Banks and Gunn get into the game even if it was just a few minutes. They have fresh legs and bring the energy they are not getting from Tamar and Jordan currently.

Agreed that the short rotation probably led to some tired legs last night, particularly with TJD. The issue is that I think Woodson has needed to keep a short bench and ride TJD and JHS. Our bench production has been very inconsistent, and in many roads games non-existent. If TJD played 32 minutes in some of the past games instead of 39/40, we probably have a few more losses and would be a bubble team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Is TJD hurt? 
no explosive athletic plays last night 

12 to 14 straight BIG TEN games playing 38 to 40 mins a night being the man....had to hit a wall sooner then later. Woody riding this kid like a rented mule in his last year.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Someone said in the game thread that they will be happy when we don't play on ESPN anymore.  I agree and it is because of stuff like last night.  ESPN has to "Olympics" so many of the games they show.  Spartan Strong every commercial last night, Edey's Mom, Davidson's girlfriend who happens to be a former IUWBB player....and if it isn't pushing that, it is pushing some other narrative they want to shove down your throat.  (Duke/UNC being a favorite of mine).

I don't usually have a problem with announcers, but the guy doing the PBP last night was terrible. Sounds like he's auditioning to be a 1970s classic rock DJ, "Xavier Jones," said some off the wall sort of stuff here and there, and got overly excited about the weirdest things. 

• Like 2