Iowa II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, February 28th 7:00 pm EST 

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: ESPN2

The Iowa Hawkeyes travel to Bloomington fresh off of a miracle comeback aginst Michigan State at home on Saturday, Iowa has won 6 of their last 9 with all 3 of the losses coming on the road (@Purdue, @Northwestern, and @Wisconsin) 

image.png.adc2f7c31facdc960cc8bb2496636561.png

Box Score from our 91-89 loss at Carver-Hawkeye

image.png.37d7ed16410b579354a1d4000c2d7cce.png

image.png.a89e85d29dd7da71c61345db97db079a.png

Our offense was excellent, but we cannot give up 91 points to any team and expect to win...

One that slipped away late, the game that Race Thompson got injured in, and the one that started our 3 game skid that some wanted to make into a referendum on our coach, our kids, and our season...Haven't seen much of some of those people lately :) ...

image.png.86dbefe5b5bd3e480d05b9ff4805dacd.png

The Hawkeyes have gone with the same starting lineup for the past 14 games, with Tony Perkins and Aron Ulis in the backcourt, and Connor McCaffery, Filip Rebraca, and Kris Murray up front...Payton Sanfort and Patrick McCaffery get the bevy of minutes off the bench, with Dasonte Brown and Josh Dix getting spot minutes...

Kris Murray, of course, is the main one we have to stop, but Perkins and Sandfort have been coming on lately...2nd in ORtg (to Purdue) but next to last in DRtg...Middle of the pack shooting team from both 2 and 3 point range, but they don't turn it over a lot, are an excellent offensive rebounding team, and get 63 FG attempts per game which is tops in the league...

Revenge factor...We should have had the one in Iowa City...No XJ, no Race, but no excuses...I think we've matured a bunch since then...

Hopefully, their jackass of a coach doesn't get the same treatment on the road that he gets at home...He's an utter embarrassment...And I think his act has already worn thin with Woody...May be some fun to watch!

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Unofficial Injury depth report:

Starters:

6’8 220 F Kris Murray (20.2 PPG, obviously their best player, dropped 30 points in the first matchup)

6’9 230 F Fillip Rebecca (Averages around 14 PPG, good player for the Hawkeyes)

6’4 205 G Tony Perkins (Very streaky shooter)

6’3 190 G Ahron Ulis (One of the better passers on the floor, and doesn’t commit too many turnovers)

6’6 215 G Connor McCaffery (Brings a lot of of experience to Iowa, passing skills are very good)

Seems like a lot of their starters have been playing very heavy minutes in the last 5-7 games. A lot of them around playing around 33+ minutes or more in their games and some are fouling pretty crazy. However it has worked, as Iowa is one of the best offenses in the country and just recently dropped 112 points against a solid MSU defense. While Iowa’s defense is just chilling around and has giving up more than 80 points a couple of times this month. They do average around 7 steals a game and turns the ball over around 10 per game. Their free throw percentage is fairly good too at around 74%. While Iowa is averaging around 77.7 points per game in offensive, they are also giving up 77.0 points per game. Very good chance this will be a high scoring affair.

Looking at their bench, they usually like to play about 7-8 players off the bench. The 2 names I see the most that play quality minutes is 6’7 215 F Payton Standfort (averaging 10.0 PPG and 20.7 MPG) and 6’9 210 F Patrick McCaffery (Averaging about 10 PPG, took time off). Another player that comes off the bench is 6’5 190 Josh Dix. I do see 6’11 245 C Riley Mulvey coming off the bench for this game.

Injury Report:

6’10 275 Josh Ogundele- hasn’t played in in a few weeks

They have 2 players medically redshirting this year 

• Like 3

I saw recently a clip where Fran stares down the referee.  It may have been the MSU game.  But the ref is at or near the base line and there is no play going on and he is within 8' feet or so of the ref just staring at him.  Then an Iowa assistant comes over and pulls him away.  You can do that and not get at least a warning?  Does any one know the context of this incident?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I saw recently a clip where Fran stares down the referee.  It may have been the MSU game.  But the ref is at or near the base line and there is no play going on and he is within 8' feet or so of the ref just staring at him.  Then an Iowa assistant comes over and pulls him away.  You can do that and not get at least a warning?  Does any one know the context of this incident?

I tried to link it twice and f'ed it up... Go to the Big 10 thread page 147... Good stuff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I took a look and that was the incident.  Good move by the ref in stepping up and not saying anything.

Can't believe they let this guy get away with all this stuff.

I literally laughed out loud when Fran the Badass took the 3 steps forward, and Pfiiffer called his bluff and took 3 as well...

Hummel got a kick out of it too... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I hope Fran suffers from chronic hemorrhoids and that explains what's up his ass that makes him so angry. That stare down was limp wristed and weak. 

It’s all the rage, if yo impotent, just be the one screaming the loudest at the orgy. 
eventually everyone figures out that your just a screamer and won’t play anymore. Fran sprinkles water in his own back to receive a trophy.

• Haha 6

Business week. This team has overcome injuries and BS. Some of the BS was at the hands of Iowa. My first game ever at Assembly Hall was in 1988 when we put 116 on them on Senior Day. I'd like to send TJD out the same way this week. Just pour it on them and don't let up. Can't wait for Tuesday. Hopefully X can get in uniform for some minutes. 

• Like 4

I don't get the impression that our staff is a big fan of their staff either.  I think Fran is basically my least favorite coach in the league right now.  He gets way more slack then is deserved or warranted.

I would love to see him have to watch the end of the game on Tuesday from the lockerroom.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't get the impression that our staff is a big fan of their staff either.  I think Fran is basically my least favorite coach in the league right now.  He gets way more slack then is deserved or warranted.

I would love to see him have to watch the end of the game on Tuesday from the lockerroom.

Im still pissed about Luke Recker

• Like 1
  • Haha 2