Iowa II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If X doesn’t come back or at least dress for this game, I’m beginning to think that we won’t see him at all for the rest of the season. 

One of the IUBB podcasts/shows was saying that IU can appeal his injury red shirt status. IF they can and succeed, do we, X, Woody, etc. want a 50% XJ playing 10 minutes a game  for a very limited amount of games and possibly disrupt our flow right now, or for him to come back and be the man next season? 

Sure that last statement relies on a lot of assumptions. But if any of those assumptions hold water, I’m leaning towards the latter. 

I would want him back for next year, IF that would be possible.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

If X doesn’t come back or at least dress for this game, I’m beginning to think that we won’t see him at all for the rest of the season. 

One of the IUBB podcasts/shows was saying that IU can appeal his injury red shirt status. IF they can and succeed, do we, X, Woody, etc. want a 50% XJ playing 10 minutes a game  for a very limited amount of games and possibly disrupt our flow right now, or for him to come back and be the man next season? 

Sure that last statement relies on a lot of assumptions. But if any of those assumptions hold water, I’m leaning towards the latter. 

The final 4 starts March 31st.  Him dressing probably has little or no bearing on if he will play when we get there.  

I'm pretty sure some insiders have stated X is done with college basketball after this season.   However he could come back to school with a nice NIL package and start working on becoming Professor X.  Is it possible,  maybe.  Likely, I personally doubt it.  But hey, he's not going to the NBA, he would make more NIL cash than any other pro league not named NBA.   

Further.  The med red shirt is a possibility.   He played in 11 games.  We have played 29 and are guaranteed at least 4 more.  Eligibility is based on playing less than 30% of games.  Currently he wouldn't qualify if we peter out.  11/33

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I would want him back for next year, IF that would be possible.

100%.  With the possibility/probability that JHS goes professional, it would eliminate one position we won't have to plug.

Regardless, with the team "gelling" around JHS & TJD, trying to work XJ into significant minutes could prove counter-productive.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

X wont play college basketball after this year. I said months ago he will be back for the BTT if we are lucky. Seems like he may be ready by then, but who knows. 

We are going for it all this year, we wont rest X thinking he may be able to redshirt. Thats crazy talk. If he can help our team this year in the tournament, he will play.

Totally agree he's too Fierce of competitor too.  I personally was not suggesting that he be held back if he's capable of playing. I don't think that would ever happen. I'm just speculating that if he is physically unable to play then there is a very remote chance that he does have the potential to come back, not saying that he would.  Just that he could.  

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

X is definitely out for tonight perWoodson on his radio show. Return Sunday vs Michigan not ruled out. Who knows, could just make a cameo appearance for Senior Day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I believe our ability to apply for a medical redshirt would depend on how deep we go. He has to be under 30% of the games, which is 36/37 games depending on how they round. 

• Like 2

Hi friends, we are heading down to Bloomington in a couple of hours to celebrate my daughter's 19th birthday with some dinner, then gifts in her dorm room in Read Hall. Kind of last minute I know, but if anyone ends up with three extra tickets for me, my kid and my wife, please let me know. I would love to buy them from you.

Otherwise we will just do dinner and listen on the way back to Richmond. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw this on twitter a little bit ago and it actually might be true. Will tonight's game be the last one IU plays on ESPN? I mean unless we schedule an ACC or SEC nonconference game this could be it for awhile right?

I good with that 🙂

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

As much as i hate ESPN and their favoritism, being able to watch IU games on ESPN is beneficial.

Some other entity will pick up the slack. Fox has almost as many options as ESPN with Fox, FS1, FS2, and BTN... We'll always be able to watch IU basketball... Every game... ESPN or not. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Some other entity will pick up the slack. Fox has almost as many options as ESPN with Fox, FS1, FS2, and BTN... We'll always be able to watch IU basketball... Every game... ESPN or not. 

i do not disagree with you there. I should have expanded upon my point previously. My point was in regards to the casual fan around the country, not for IU fans and their abilities to watch. 

Meaning a high school recruit is currently more apt to turn on ESPN than Fox to catch a game on any given night. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i do not disagree with you there. I should have expanded upon my point previously. My point was in regards to the casual fan around the country, not for IU fans and their abilities to watch. 

Meaning a high school recruit is currently more apt to turn on ESPN than Fox to catch a game on any given night. 

100%

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

As to the bolded, why?

So is it about availability then?

think FS1 and 2 are available on the vast majority of cable systems and streaming services...Neither FS1&2 or ESPN and it's different flavors are broadcast "over the air."  

2 hours ago, HoosierBrit64 said:

Hi friends, we are heading down to Bloomington in a couple of hours to celebrate my daughter's 19th birthday with some dinner, then gifts in her dorm room in Read Hall. Kind of last minute I know, but if anyone ends up with three extra tickets for me, my kid and my wife, please let me know. I would love to buy them from you.

Otherwise we will just do dinner and listen on the way back to Richmond. Much appreciated!

@eddy4iuis perhaps your best bet for this. 

2 hours ago, HoosierBrit64 said:

Check with @eddy4iu

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw this on twitter a little bit ago and it actually might be true. Will tonight's game be the last one IU plays on ESPN? I mean unless we schedule an ACC or SEC nonconference game this could be it for awhile right?

I'd imagine we end up on ESPN in non-conference games in some form or fashion almost every year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

As much as i hate ESPN and their favoritism, being able to watch IU games on ESPN is beneficial.

IU games will be covered on BTN and Fox Sports moving forward. While I personally won’t miss ESPN coverage, the network has a powerful brand, and could be used against us in recruiting battles. I can just hear a recruit and his family now….what, no ESPN? To some it’s all about exposure, and the perception could be they won’t get that without ESPN. I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

IU games will be covered on BTN and Fox Sports moving forward. While I personally won’t miss ESPN coverage, the network has a powerful brand, and could be used against us in recruiting battles. I can just hear a recruit and his family now….what, no ESPN? To some it’s all about exposure, and the perception could be they won’t get that without ESPN. I hope I’m wrong.

I agree, but think this is more of a short term problem than long. I don't think brands like Ohio State, Michigan, and USC are going to be thwarted by TV coverage.

One of the hidden benefits of all the conference realignment may be how it weakens ESPN over the coming years. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

That is an interesting thought.

I do wonder if that plays much of a factor right now, or will play much of a factor in the future. ESPN was huge 15-20 years ago because all we had was cable TV. There are so many outlets these days to get entertaining sports coverage: podcasts, youtube channels, message boards, etc. Heck a lot of people don't have cable and just use apps. 

As @KoB2011 mentioned, this is going to be a hit to ESPN too. 

I personally like Fox's coverage of games better too. First, they don't stack them in 2 hour slots to the degree ESPN does. I think every game we've had on ESPN this season has had the beginning cut off. Secondly, I also enjoy the play by play guys on Fox better. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 6