Iowa II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As to the bolded, why?

So is it about availability then?

think FS1 and 2 are available on the vast majority of cable systems and streaming services...Neither FS1&2 or ESPN and it's different flavors are broadcast "over the air."  

Its not about availability. its about a kid that lives in Georgia or in your case Texas outside of the B1G branding that wants to watch a game. They turn it to ESPN. Its about the branding of ESPN and what they are college Gameday, game of the week, Super Tuesday, whatever they do to glamorize it.

This probably wont be long term as more and more TV deals are being made across all conferences and it seems like ESPN may just end up with SEC. but for now, if someone wants to watch a game, casually, they think about ESPN not Fox.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Its not about availability. its about a kid that lives in Georgia or in your case Texas outside of the B1G branding that wants to watch a game. They turn it to ESPN. Its about the branding of ESPN and what they are college Gameday, game of the week, Super Tuesday, whatever they do to glamorize it.

This probably wont be long term as more and more TV deals are being made across all conferences and it seems like ESPN may just end up with SEC. but for now, if someone wants to watch a game, casually, they think about ESPN not Fox.

You never know... No one thought Fox would take NFL Football from CBS, but they did... 

I think the whole model of sports broadcasting is going to radically change with streaming becoming more of an option...

ESPN is projected to lose between 8-10 subscribers per year into 2030... basically cutting their current revenue in half... And you need that revenue to pay these conferences... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That is an interesting thought.

I do wonder if that plays much of a factor right now, or will play much of a factor in the future. ESPN was huge 15-20 years ago because all we had was cable TV. There are so many outlets these days to get entertaining sports coverage: podcasts, youtube channels, message boards, etc. Heck a lot of people don't have cable and just use apps. 

As @KoB2011 mentioned, this is going to be a hit to ESPN too. 

I personally like Fox's coverage of games better too. First, they don't stack them in 2 hour slots to the degree ESPN does. I think every game we've had on ESPN this season has had the beginning cut off. Secondly, I also enjoy the play by play guys on Fox better. 

Just wait until Sage gets out of her deal with ESPN and is the lead on Fox for both Football and Basketball.

PS...kids don't even think of cable anymore. It's their phone and the apps/streams they have. Cable is an archaic commodity and the reason why companies like ESPN have been on the Titanic for 10+ years. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just wait until Sage gets out of her deal with ESPN and is the lead on Fox for both Football and Basketball.

PS...kids don't even think of cable anymore. It's their phone and the apps/streams they have. Cable is an archaic commodity and the reason why companies like ESPN have been on the Titanic for 10+ years. 

I can't wait for the day of true ala carte TV programming. I don't know if anyone has purchased a Samsung TV lately, but Samsung TV Plus has more than enough for what I watch, and it's free... I only have YouTube TV for IU basketball, and the unlimited DVR... If I could get those uncoupled, it'd be a no brainer... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, HoosierBrit64 said:

Hi friends, we are heading down to Bloomington in a couple of hours to celebrate my daughter's 19th birthday with some dinner, then gifts in her dorm room in Read Hall. Kind of last minute I know, but if anyone ends up with three extra tickets for me, my kid and my wife, please let me know. I would love to buy them from you.

Otherwise we will just do dinner and listen on the way back to Richmond. Much appreciated!

My seats are spoken for but there are some on the ticket exchange board - just not 3 together.  That is a very tough putt.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/I board/ticket-exchange-bb-106112/

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can't wait for the day of true ala carte TV programming. I don't know if anyone has purchased a Samsung TV lately, but Samsung TV Plus has more than enough for what I watch, and it's free... I only have YouTube TV for IU basketball, and the unlimited DVR... If I could get those uncoupled, it'd be a no brainer... 

when i switched from direct to streaming, my bill was cut by 2/3 and I have wwaay more...and a little bird piss doesnt screw up the reception

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We went Samsung a couple years ago....blown away at all the freebies and enjoy those 1000 and above channels like crazy. Again all free. We do the same. Youtube TV for hoops season and actually carry it for the Masters. After that we cancel until September for NFL.

I'm really hoping our guys come out early tonight. That Iowa game ticked me off and still am ticked how everything went down. I'll take any win for sure but I wouldn't mind a good old fashion Assembly Hall blowout to send these kids like TJD, Race, likely Jalen and others out the right way this week. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

IU games will be covered on BTN and Fox Sports moving forward. While I personally won’t miss ESPN coverage, the network has a powerful brand, and could be used against us in recruiting battles. I can just hear a recruit and his family now….what, no ESPN? To some it’s all about exposure, and the perception could be they won’t get that without ESPN. I hope I’m wrong.

Fox sports is going to include national over the air (not cable) games on the Fox network regularly.  Those games have a wider potential audience than ESPN.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah, I think the landscape has already changed, in the way Seeking6 describes. "Channel" isn't a thing anymore. I turn on Hulu/YouTubeTV and it shows me what games are available. I pick what I want to watch, I don't think about whether it's on FOX or ESPN or whatever until the game is actually on my TV.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Good article  about the antics of the McCaffrey clan in our first game and subsequent idiotic episodes from @The Daily Hoosier...

I'd forgotten about tough guy Connor coming over and running his sewer and having to be "restrained." 😂😂😂

We need to flush these turds down the drain tonight.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1