Iowa Post game

ButlerHoosier

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

No it’s not, but. Can you imagine the ruckus Dale would have been in over the kiss thing. 
Hell wasn’t Detroit pretty “aggressive” when Woody was on staff there for the championship? 
mom sorry for the pacifists but we were punked tonight and it will be the message across the land. XL Johnson would have manned up. I’m actually a little surprised he didn’t come off the bench and send a messsage. That was crap. 

We've been getting punked at home for awhile now. Illinois leaving snarky messages on the whiteboard in the visitors' locker room when they beat us last year...Ron Harper waving at the crowd after his game winner, the Iowa kid blowing a kiss tonight...probably others as well. There's just no fear of any kind of repercussion. Back in the day, you'd never see this garbage because teams knew there'd be hell to pay at some point down the road if they poked the bear. We just sit back and take everything now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IUguy said:

They are just so inconsistent!  You never know which IU team will show up.  I thought this was a defense first team.  Not tonight!  Maybe we can drop down to a six seed.  Better than a 4 or 5.

Probably not dropping to a 6 without a loss to Michigan and a bad loss on Thursday in the BTT.

I am guessing we still end up a 4 if we beat Michigan, especially with a win in the BTT. 

6 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'll add something....

8. Who is excited for next season??? Raise your hand....

Not until I know what the roster will be.  We don't have any JHS level recruits on the way, we will lose our best player, also quite possibly our second best one, our bench has been garbage for the most part - especially the non-freshman players (who get a bit of a pass).  Really, we are looking at a complete rebuild with our only sure starter returning being Galloway.  Lots of work to be done and CMW needs to have an "unpleasant conversation" with 3 or 4 players.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You’re right…. really speaking more to not being able to win 6 in the tournament against quality competition. But you are correct in that we went on a nice little streak. With that said. That included a really poor game at Minny and a non competitive game at MD. Not sure Minny should count, but to their defense, good teams find a way to win when they play poorly. We just can’t seem to find some consistency. 

We did win 5 in a row 

• Like 2

Back to the game:

We haven't been a mentally tough team this year, at least consistently.  We didn't have the fight in us tonight at all. 

Iowa had the gameplan & talents that we are not best suited to defend.  They executed it and made their shots.  We might well have struggled if we had played better.

The defense was lost & slow for sure, but the offense in the first half was equally inept.  IMO,  the game was lost in the first half.

Going forward we're the same team we've been all along: capable of being very good, incapable of doing it consistently, and not without multiple flaws.  We could win a couple or three in the tourney or we could crap out on night #1.  It's a roll of the dice in my opinion.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

We've been getting punked at home for awhile now. Illinois leaving snarky messages on the whiteboard in the visitors' locker room when they beat us last year...Ron Harper waving at the crowd after his game winner, the Iowa kid blowing a kiss tonight...probably others as well. There's just no fear of any kind of repercussion. Back in the day, you'd never see this garbage because teams knew there'd be hell to pay at some point down the road if they poked the bear. We just sit back and take everything now. 

It is just different now because a hard foul today will get you a flagrant 2 tech and kicked out of the game. You probably will get suspended as well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I find a little comfort in this comparison with the 1987 National Championship team. Yes, they were 30-4, but they lost the last 2 out of three game of the big ten season. They beat Ohio St. at home for the last game of the BIGTEN season. There was no BIGTEN tournament back then. 
Here’s to hoping we can play like that ‘87 team late in the season!

05A06B0E-908B-407D-A8A9-33F1EA25B3C5.jpeg

I appreciate you trying to find the silver lining but those losses were against ranked opponents on the road. Not a spanking at home against an unranked team you blew a 20 point lead against earlier in the year.    

7 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'll add something....

8. Who is excited for next season??? Raise your hand....

I am worried about next season but am waiting to see how this season plays out first.  With the portal and our lack of bench production this year, we have the potential to have a whole bunch of turnover in May.

• Like 2

What a disaster. Massive disappointment. Don't botch the Michigan game too. Can't afford to head into post season with that kind of final week and dropping 3 of 4. Need a really short memory and a complete 180 in performance. 

A sweep of Purdue is a sweep of Purdue. But you can make an argument that MSU and Iowa are both playing better currently, which would then include better than us. Our low volume 3-point offense makes those two a major challenge for us.  

• Like 1

I know some of you have posted that you don't feel X will return. I, for one, feel he will. I wouldn't be surprised is he dresses and gets a few minutes vs. Michigan. If not, then he could have an opportunity in the BTT or later on in the NCAA tourney, which begins March 17th and 18th. There really is no need to rush him, especially the type of energy and physicality he brings that could be forced on his repaired foot. He plays 100 miles an hour and I'm sure he and the doctor's will now when the right time is to bring him back out. I'm praying for X to return fully healed and ready to contribute! Go IU!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Every time I see Coach McCaffery, I immediately get angry. There has always been something about him as a coach, his presence, delivery...it's just a lot if thing, I guess. Does anyone else have these feelings too? lol

Step Brother I Want To Punch Your Face GIF - Step Brother I Want To Punch Your  Face Delive One Of These - Discover & Share GIFs

I don't like him and his team acts like him.  Normally I wouldn't give a shhh because Iowa, but now that the Rutgers monkey is off the back, we need to smack that Coach and that program in the mouth.  Hard.  

Edit to add:  And I haven't really followed women's ball much outside of this year, but that team isn't really likeable either.  

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

I think the thing that ticks me off most is I thought we cleared these sorts of hurdles. We've accomplished so many hurdles this year down multiple guys but I thought getting that road win Saturday was the last of the hurdles to clear and we could come home and relax.

Apparently our kids felt the same way on relaxing. I think it was 12-2 and you could see everyone on the floor was just off. Missed bunnies, less than crisp passes....what 3-4 turnovers in first couple minutes.

No clue what our seeding will look like for BTT. Are we in the needing Illinois to win camp tomorrow night as well as Ohio St tonight??

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't like him and his team acts like him.  Normally I wouldn't give a shhh because Iowa, but now that the Rutgers monkey is off the back, we need to smack that Coach and that program in the mouth.  Hard.  

Edit to add:  And I haven't really followed women's ball much outside of this year, but that team isn't really likeable either.  

...especially Clark.

• Like 2

Here's what I don't get. Murray starts the game with a 3 that hits nothing but net. Soon after, does it again. Fool me once and all that, but hey, he does it a third, fourth, and fifth time. Ok, the guy's really good, so I guess it's one of those nights.

However! Back door cut, easy layup. Soon after, back door cut, easy layup. And again. And again. I mean, are these guys paying attention to anything happening on the court?

I think that's what annoyed me the most, was watching the same mistakes over and over and over again. We just looked, well frankly, kinda stupid out there, and that's never a good look. And of all the teams, I think I'd take a 20 point loss to Purdue over losing to that group of people at Iowa. Ok, that might be a bit much, but they're firmly in second place for teams I hate losing to.

As for XJ, the whole "we would have beaten _____ if we had XJ" is getting pretty old. If we're going to play that game, you could also say that if XJ doesn't get hurt, maybe he gets knocked off balance in a game and tumbles into TJD's knee and blows it out. As Norman Dale once said, "My team's on the court." 

Let's face facts - this team has the potential to make a big run to a FF in March, and they could also lose all of their remaining games. None of us have any idea what's going to happen on a game by game basis going forward, and it sure seems like the team doesn't, either. Not really an idea spot to be in on March 1. But, it does seem that this team does have the ability to have a short memory when it comes to these things, so I guess that's something.

• Like 5

Well, that was a horrible game all around. We were bad on defense and offense, they had a lot of open shots, but also hit the tough ones, we missed most of our open shots. Recipe for a disaster. A few other thoughts:

1. After the Purdue game we didn't all of a sudden become favorites to win the national title, just like we aren't some horrible team now. Bad games happen, it's all about how the team responds.

2. We need to figure out rebounding. 5 of our 6 worst offensive rebounding %'s of the season have come in the last 6 games. Especially in a game like this where they were missing open shots, getting offensive rebounds is one way to keep the offensive efficiency up. Our defensive rebounding has also been an issue in the last 4 games, albeit to a lesser extent.

3. I can understand Murray getting his. He's a future NBA player who is too fast for our bigs, and too big for our guards. However, Perkins getting 23 was very disappointing. It felt like almost all of his points came from defensive lapses that led to layups or fouls to prevent a layup. Just the defensive lapses on Perkins would probably be enough to make this a 10 point game instead of 22.

• Like 4

Sounds like CMW and the players have no clue what happened last night. That leaves it open to speculation and raises concerns of how will they fix it.

If you have a drop off after the biggest win of the season, that's something people don't like but they've seen it before. Not just with IU basketball but with other teams and in other sports. It's not out of the realm of possibility. But last night was a complete no show and that's different. Where's the pride? Where's the leaders on the floor? Where's the coaching staff with any type of workable adjustments? Fact is, IU had no answers on either end of the floor and from the start it didn't look like they were interested in finding any.

The common thread when IU has had really bad games this season is turnovers, not competing on the glass, poor shot selection, and looking lost on defense. All of that was apparent last night. Leaves you wondering what happened?

After the win at purdue all the talk turned to IU being on the rise; possible great seeding in the tourney; and specifically who's leaving to go pro. I'd suggest IU lost its focus and thought they could walk on the court last night and win. Not mentally into the game. Not focused on the goal. Not mentally tough. 

This loss may hurt IU in many ways over the rest of this season but that cannot be a consideration right now. If they don't come out with a W over Michigan, it's may get very ugly because every team in the conference tourney is playing to win. There are no walk overs. You don't want to be riding a losing streak when selection Sunday gets here. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Sounds like CMW and the players have no clue what happened last night. That leaves it open to speculation and raises concerns of how will they fix it.

If you have a drop off after the biggest win of the season, that's something people don't like but they've seen it before. Not just with IU basketball but with other teams and in other sports. It's not out of the realm of possibility. But last night was a complete no show and that's different. Where's the pride? Where's the leaders on the floor? Where's the coaching staff with any type of workable adjustments? Fact is, IU had no answers on either end of the floor and from the start it didn't look like they were interested in finding any.

The common thread when IU has had really bad games this season is turnovers, not competing on the glass, poor shot selection, and looking lost on defense. All of that was apparent last night. Leaves you wondering what happened?

After the win at purdue all the talk turned to IU being on the rise; possible great seeding in the tourney; and specifically who's leaving to go pro. I'd suggest IU lost its focus and thought they could walk on the court last night and win. Not mentally into the game. Not focused on the goal. Not mentally tough. 

This loss may hurt IU in many ways over the rest of this season but that cannot be a consideration right now. If they don't come out with a W over Michigan, it's may get very ugly because every team in the conference tourney is playing to win. There are no walk overs. You don't want to be riding a losing streak when selection Sunday gets here. 

Who needs pride when they’ve got NIL money clogging up their pockets, right? Sure makes you wonder if that has a small hand in how they play. Win or lose they’re still getting paid, and paid way more than a lot of career people out there working their butts off. I kinda think it’d be a good idea if within certain NIL contracts that are given, there are side notes that state that they get percentages taken away with a loss, or something like that. I could almost guarantee you’d see more fight in games if playing like crap and no effort meant less money in their piggy banks. 
I don’t have a problem with players getting paid, but it kinda makes you wonder if it makes them ok with being lazy occasionally…especially being the age they are. 

Edited by IUrocker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Well, that was a horrible game all around. We were bad on defense and offense, they had a lot of open shots, but also hit the tough ones, we missed most of our open shots. Recipe for a disaster. A few other thoughts:

1. After the Purdue game we didn't all of a sudden become favorites to win the national title, just like we aren't some horrible team now. Bad games happen, it's all about how the team responds.

2. We need to figure out rebounding. 5 of our 6 worst offensive rebounding %'s of the season have come in the last 6 games. Especially in a game like this where they were missing open shots, getting offensive rebounds is one way to keep the offensive efficiency up. Our defensive rebounding has also been an issue in the last 4 games, albeit to a lesser extent.

3. I can understand Murray getting his. He's a future NBA player who is too fast for our bigs, and too big for our guards. However, Perkins getting 23 was very disappointing. It felt like almost all of his points came from defensive lapses that led to layups or fouls to prevent a layup. Just the defensive lapses on Perkins would probably be enough to make this a 10 point game instead of 22.

Spot on with all 3 points.  For me the synopsis of this tem is that we're top 3 or 4 in the B10 and top 25-ish nationally.  Both being notable improvements over the past, but sometimes great games are fools gold and bad ones are the opposite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

I said in the pre game that Perkins and Sandfort had been coming on of late, and boy did they come on against us...

I really like Perkins...Tough minded kid who battles on both ends...Might not have the prettiest game, but he's damned effective...

We need kids like him...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, D-BONE said:

What a disaster. Massive disappointment. Don't botch the Michigan game too. Can't afford to head into post season with that kind of final week and dropping 3 of 4. Need a really short memory and a complete 180 in performance. 

A sweep of Purdue is a sweep of Purdue. But you can make an argument that MSU and Iowa are both playing better currently, which would then include better than us. Our low volume 3-point offense makes those two a major challenge for us.  

Exactly, percentage wise at 38% we’re one of the top teams in the league shooting 3s, but take the fewest shots in the league. Hard to win when your opponent is taking 20-25, and making more than we take the entire game. Our guys won’t shoot unless they’re wide open. Players on the other teams take step back and in your face 3s all game long, and then blow us a kiss on their way to a blowout. Of course, that can backfire when they’re aren’t going down, but when they are, we have no answer.