Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

20 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Let the speculation begin! I’ll throw out Payton Sparks (6’9”/240) from Ball St. as a great pickup, if he were to enter the portal. He put his name in last year, but decided to stay when Lewis was named the coach, so I doubt he leaves, but you never know.

With TJD, Kopp, Thompson and XJ all graduating, and JHS likely gone, we‘ll have no choice, but to be very active in the portal this off season. Since we only have 2 commits coming in next year, we’re looking at 3-4 transfers at a minimum, and maybe more depending on how many transfer out. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Let the speculation begin! I’ll throw out Payton Sparks (6’9”/240) from Ball St. as a great pickup, if he were to enter the portal. He put his name in last year, but decided to stay when Lewis was named the coach, so I doubt he leaves, but you never know.

Sparks is not a freshman.  

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Here are my personal thoughts and I could be wayyyy wrong but I’ll say it anyways:

I do think bates,duncomb, and JG will transfer out. We are gonna get a ton of transfers but also need to be smart to leave open spots for 24-25 so gonna have to get lots of one year guys… my prediction for roster next year is:

Newton 

cupps

banks 

gallo 

leal 

Gunn 

reneau 

I don’t expect any of these guys to be done after next year or transfer out. I think we take 3-4 players with one year left and 1-2 players with multiple years left

I’d be very surprised, and honestly disappointed if Bates transfers. The only returning player who’s played more minutes than him is Galloway. I know he’s struggled in conference play, but I still think he has the potential to be a good player.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I’d be very surprised, and honestly disappointed if Bates transfers. The only returning player who’s played more minutes than him is Galloway. I know he’s struggled in conference play, but I still think he has the potential to be a good player.

Agree 👍

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

13 minutes ago, Kdug said:

right now, my feeling alone, probably 80/20 in favor of staying. But i wouldnt be surprised if he left. next year is on him, the minutes are wiiiide open.

The only people i would be truly shocked if they transferred MR, TG, Gunn, Banks, and Leal. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

right now, my feeling alone, probably 80/20 in favor of staying. But i wouldnt be surprised if he left. next year is on him, the minutes are wiiiide open.

The only people i would be truly shocked if they transferred MR, TG, Gunn, Banks, and Leal. 

I guess I just haven’t seen anything or heard anything that makes me think he’d think of transferring. But in today’s game, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised if anyone transfers.

But yeah, there are a ton of minutes available next year. I’d say the only starting spot that seems locked down is Galloway’s. Malik might be starter #2, but he needs to get better at not fouling if he’s going to play more than 15-20 minutes a game. So at a minimum 3 starting spots are up for grabs. I’d imagine that a starting role at a high profile, major conference program has to be attractive to the top transfers.

• Like 2

We’re gonna be really attractive for bigs in the portal. Not sure who will be looking, but we will have 6-8 newcomers next year in my opinion. 

im worried we may lose TB and/or JG, the seniors, and JHS. If we could secure a huge 24 and 25 class, I think we could put together a tournament roster next year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

A lot of kids transferring out of Bucknell and Queens College. I never knew there was a college basketball team at Queens College.

Andrew Funk, who along with Lundy, killed us when we played Penn State, was a Bucknell kid... 

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With us losing most of our low post scoring I wonder if Woodson will change the style of our offense. With everything going through the post now I wonder if we go more of a guard oriented offense with more things rin for them.

I have always felt that when TJD left we might see a shift toward being more perimeter oriented than interior oriented. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

With us losing most of our low post scoring I wonder if Woodson will change the style of our offense. With everything going through the post now I wonder if we go more of a guard oriented offense with more things rin for them.

He wants 4 out. More drive kick stuff would be incorporated. I think IU would definitely shoot more 3s but still would run pick n roll too. 

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have always felt that when TJD left we might see a shift toward being more perimeter oriented than interior oriented. 

I don't have any issue with 4 out 1 in but our 1 in has to be a priority on recruiting always. The 1 in allows the 4 out to flourish. Look at our buddies to the West. They lost Kofi and their 4 out offense that BU wants sucks. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I don't have any issue with 4 out 1 in but our 1 in has to be a priority on recruiting always. The 1 in allows the 4 out to flourish. Look at our buddies to the West. They lost Kofi and their 4 out offense that BU wants sucks. 

I just don't want to see our offense any longer to be posting up your big and have the other players just stand around the perimeter. I want to see more player and ball movement by the pass 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't want to see our offense any longer to be posting up your big and have the other players just stand around the perimeter. I want to see more player and ball movement by the pass 

Are they standing or waiting for the double on TJD so they can quickly move to the right spot? Or ball reversal to open guy on other side? I have zero problem with our offense starting there on the 1. It's up to the 1 and other 4 to do what Coach wants. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't we have the 4th best ORtg in the Big 10 after having the 10th best last year, and 11 best the year before that? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Are they standing or waiting for the double on TJD so they can quickly move to the right spot? Or ball reversal to open guy on other side? I have zero problem with our offense starting there on the 1. It's up to the 1 and other 4 to do what Coach wants. 

I just don't like that style of offense because I actually want plays to get our shooters open looks.  I don't want others to have to win their matchup to get open looks for stand still shooters.  I guess I just got used to a certain type of offense that was beautiful to watch. Under RMK we never just put guys in the post and try to pass into them. They got post men looks by moving them and maybe some cross screening to get them into the post.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Don't we have the 4th best ORtg in the Big 10 after having the 10th best last year, and 11 best the year before that? 

I just would like seeing our shooters who are shooting 45+% from 3 to get more shots. We really never run to many plays for our shooters to get open looks

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't like that style of offense because I actually want plays to get our shooters open looks.  I don't want others to have to win their matchup to get open looks for stand still shooters.  I guess I just got used to a certain type of offense that was beautiful to watch. Under RMK we never just put guys in the post and try to pass into them. They got post men looks by moving them and maybe some cross screening to get them into the post.

That’s a set offense. It sucks when you can’t score on the first set. That’s how you stop Purdue. Make them set up under 20 seconds. Limit their possession. That’s why a 4/5 out usually works better. You aren’t limited to one set. I like the offense. Just need that true stretch guy to make it really click. That’s why race always had the green light. Recruits notice those things. No sets. We don’t want to flame out like Purdue. Also, we do run a few sets. Usually out of a time out or dead ball. Why run plays for your third option.? The bread and butter is TJD and getting that action from ball screens. 

Edited by Victobmyboy
  • Like 3