Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So will Calapari pull a Mark Adams and not sign off on Reeves taking the summer courses he needs to graduate?

That's what Hunter Dickinson implied Adams did to Terrence Shannon Jr and why he couldn't enroll at Michigan... 

I'd think a student would have the ability to register for classes. Don't see how that could be denied. Maybe a coach making sure a certain needed class was closed or not available?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I'd think a student would have the ability to register for classes. Don't see how that could be denied. Maybe a coach making sure a certain needed class was closed or not available?

The coach at the previous school (Adams) pulled his scholarship for summer classes. Yeah, he couldn't stop Shannon from enrolling but he would have had to pay his own way. 

I remember the board debating this last summer. I don't see a problem with what Adams did. The kid announced he was transferring and the school honored their commitment of his scholarship through the Spring semester, not sure why they should be on the hook for tying up a scholarship over the summer for him?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The coach at the previous school (Adams) pulled his scholarship for summer classes. Yeah, he couldn't stop Shannon from enrolling but he would have had to pay his own way. 

I remember the board debating this last summer. I don't see a problem with what Adams did. The kid announced he was transferring and the school honored their commitment of his scholarship through the Spring semester, not sure why they should be on the hook for tying up a scholarship over the summer for him?

Agree.  And honestly these dudes are leaving for some pretty big pay days.  Pay for summer school and cash your big check.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The scholarships are not tied up over the summer.  They have until I believe September 1 to clear up any scholarship issues for the next year. 

The consolation prize for Illinois is Iowa State transfer Jeremiah Williams. Transferred to Iowa State from Temple last year but didn't play due to an Achilles injury...averaged 9 ppg for the Owls in 2 seasons...needs a waiver to play as this is his 2nd transfer

Edited by IUFLA

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The consolation prize for Illinois is Iowa State transfer Jeremiah Williams. Transferred to Iowa State from Temple last year but didn't play due to an Achilles injury...averaged 9 ppg for the Owls in 2 seasons...needs a waiver to play as this is his 2nd transfer

It's fun to watch Underwear scramble late for middling players.  Can't remember which player transferring out said what, but I recall at least one player saying some pretty frank things about Underwear not playing him.  Was obvious they didn't get along and makes me think Underwear's rep just killed him in the portal this season.  I'm guessing throwing players under the bus in post-game press conferences didn't help either.

Too bad...sure hope Illinois keeps him until he's ready to retire.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's fun to watch Underwear scramble late for middling players.  Can't remember which player transferring out said what, but I recall at least one player saying some pretty frank things about Underwear not playing him.  Was obvious they didn't get along and makes me think Underwear's rep just killed him in the portal this season.  I'm guessing throwing players under the bus in post-game press conferences didn't help either.

Too bad...sure hope Illinois keeps him until he's ready to retire.

The guy they got to play PG, was waaaaay down on the portal list...I know the Achilles injury had a lot to do with it (and from other stories I read he might not be able to go until fall) but he's a 27% career 3 point shooter...

After Shannon and Coleman said they were coming back to Illinois, there was a lot of talk of "Final 4" team when they thought they still had a shot at Dennis...That's died down a little :) 

44 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

USI landed Yarin Hasson from UConn, did not play much, but has a lot upside. Stan has made a pretty good job in the portal so far, all we need is for Martin to figure out his paperwork problem

USI has done ok in the past with kids that couldn’t stay eligible at D1 level. Hopefully with the troubles at UE and even SIU maybe we can clean up in that part of the country.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

USI has done ok in the past with kids that couldn’t stay eligible at D1 level. Hopefully with the troubles at UE and even SIU maybe we can clean up in that part of the country.

Very excited to be back in the SEA, we are slowly putting together a pretty decent team. We did add a couple big guards too that will help

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I play golf and cards with (getting ready to go Ferris Bueller) Goode's Aunts brother. She's the one married to Trent Green. Always was an odd commitment and wouldn't surprise anyone if he didn't finish his career there.

Wouldn't Goode's aunt's brother be Goode's uncle? Just curious about how to read your Simone-esque lineage. Ha ha! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

Wouldn't Goode's aunt's brother be Goode's uncle? Just curious about how to read your Simone-esque lineage. Ha ha! 

Good point. Lake beers hitting. Anyway my buddy is brother of gal married to Trent Green. Hope that makes sense. Haha.