Xavier Johnson will not return this season

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on, man... 

I mean we are talking about an impact player for next year. It’s a very fair question to ask…

If we get the double bye, we have to win the BTT and make the Elite Eight (maybe S16 depending on how they round). Every game potentially matters for his eligibility next year. 

Edited by KoB2011

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean we are talking about an impact player for next year. It’s a very fair question to ask…

If we get the double bye, we have to win the BTT and make the Elite Eight (maybe S16 depending on how they round). Every game potentially matters for his eligibility next year. 

If we win the BTT, or even play in the championship, that's 34 games played...if as @Victobmyboy said they don't count the game he was injured in, then we'd already be at 30% ( 10 games played out of 34...and yes, I double checked :) )

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If we win the BTT, or even play in the championship, that's 34 games played...if as @Victobmyboy said they don't count the game he was injured in, then we'd already be at 30% ( 10 games played out of 34...and yes, I double checked :) )

Does anyone know the Bohannon exception or even Jack Nunge? I know the NCAA was handing out extra years during Covid for free. Just curious. 

• Like 1

I don't see the point in bringing him back.  We have no chance to win the NCAA next year.  Why steal minutes from incoming point guard Gabe Cupps next year?  All Cupps has done is led Centerville to the Ohio big school championship 2 years ago, runner up finish last year and the number one ranking prior to the tournament this year.  I've watched him play for 3 years and the kid can flat out ball.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

I don't see the point in bringing him back.  We have no chance to win the NCAA next year.  Why steal minutes from incoming point guard Gabe Cupps next year?  All Cupps has done is led Centerville to the Ohio big school championship 2 years ago, runner up finish last year and the number one ranking prior to the tournament this year.  I've watched him play for 3 years and the kid can flat out ball.

At the end of last year he was the best PG in the conference. Cupps is great on paper for sure, looks and plays the part of a pure winner...but I'd welcome a chance for a kid to be around a guy like X for a year. Having more good players is never a bad thing in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Does anyone know the Bohannon exception or even Jack Nunge? I know the NCAA was handing out extra years during Covid for free. Just curious. 

I don't know, but I also wonder if this being his COVID make-up year has any bearing... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

At the end of last year he was the best PG in the conference. Cupps is great on paper for sure, looks and plays the part of a pure winner...but I'd welcome a chance for a kid to be around a guy like X for a year. Having more good players is never a bad thing in my opinion. 

You run the risk of Cupps decommitting which would be a far greater loss than getting XJ back and not winning either the B1G or the NCAA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

You run the risk of Cupps decommitting which would be a far greater loss than getting XJ back and not winning either the B1G or the NCAA.

Right, because Cupps committed knowing that JHS could very well be here next year and possibly after. So now he’d decommit because XJ would be here one year max?

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I mean I hope you’re right. I’m just asking questions.

If we aren’t getting X this year, I REALLY want him next year. Not trying to look ahead too much, but that massively changes the outlook for next year at this point. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

Well woody likely would’ve went after a point guard in the portal. With X(possibly) coming back you can now put effort in a wing and a big. Maybe get a good 4. IU will need better wings and a post that can shoot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rogermci said:

See injuries to X and IU this year, plus he will allow Cupps to transition at his pace.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Not to surprised with this news. When would we here if he gets the medical red shirt. If it goes well into the summer it would put our coaches in a bind when it comes to the portal 

Thats the bad thing. There is no time table on the NCAA. They just announce them whenever they make a decision on a player.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Because you always go with the sure thing versus the unknown. Even if Cupps is solid next year, it’d be extremely unlikely he’d be better than a 6th year senior who’s already proven he can play at an all-BIG level. You never know how a kid’s game will translate from high school to college especially in a conference as tough as ours. 

Indeed…we’ve all seen how important guard play is in the B1G. Parking X on the opponents best scoring guard is 100% better than having Cupps a freshman try to check them. There are plenty of guard minutes to go around. 

• Like 1