Xavier Johnson will not return this season

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I hope you are right.

He can shoot the 3 and has high basketball IQ. He will see his minutes slowly increase as he gets acclimated. Could be wrong obviously..but he can play…may have to come off the floor when some matchups dictate but this should solidify they pg position for us.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

You would also have to think IU has already talked to the NCAA or they wouldn't just go this way on a whim.

I came here to say exactly this. They've probably got a good indication from someone at the NCAA that it will be approved, otherwise it's unlikely IU would be making it public that they'll be applying.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wow.  Gut punch followed by instant boost for next year.  Maybe a year on the bench he can come back wiser and be a true floor general.  

Man, just think if Jalen is like, screw it, college is a blast, the money and life is pretty great.  Take out an injury rider and roll the dice on NPOY next year and jumping into top 5.

Wouldn’t that be nice. Need a few more pieces. 

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

X, Cupps, JHS 🙏,  Bates, Newton, TG, MR, JG….

Find us an elite shooter in the portal, an athletic 4, and another big…… and we can be tough again next year! 

With that said, let’s get back on track tomorrow, find some confidence and make a run this year! 

We all know our two triple initial guys are gone (JHS/TJD). We do need a rim protector but I think we will have plenty of shooting. If Trey can continue his progress from this year and if Bates figures things out we should be fine. Gunn and Cupps will also provide some shooting. We have plenty of talent on the roster. All id like to see is a rim protecting/rebounding big that can get us a bucket from time to time. Banks/Geronimo/Reneau we are going to be just fine. Next years team will really hinge I think on Bates finally living up to his potential and the young guys stepping up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Because you always go with the sure thing versus the unknown. Even if Cupps is solid next year, it’d be extremely unlikely he’d be better than a 6th year senior who’s already proven he can play at an all-BIG level. You never know how a kid’s game will translate from high school to college especially in a conference as tough as ours. 

What year is Braden Smith again?

Cupps is a skilled true point guard and could very well be good enough to run the collegiate point. He is at 38% 3 PT, 48% FG and 91% FT. He averages 2 TO, 2 ST and just over 6 assist.

I see no real chance that Jalen returns next season. Would be nice for us (IU) but I think not so much ideal for him if he gets a good draw. But yeah, Jalen is a combo guard and on a different level offensively than both Cupps and XJ. I wouldn’t Trade him for 2 XJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

We all know our two triple initial guys are gone (JHS/TJD). We do need a rim protector but I think we will have plenty of shooting. If Trey can continue his progress from this year and if Bates figures things out we should be fine. Gunn and Cupps will also provide some shooting. We have plenty of talent on the roster. All id like to see is a rim protecting/rebounding big that can get us a bucket from time to time. Banks/Geronimo/Reneau we are going to be just fine. Next years team will really hinge I think on Bates finally living up to his potential and the young guys stepping up. 

I don’t see it at all. With the loss of Trace and Jalen, you’ve lost 98% of your scoring ability. I’m hoping miracles come in the form of the transfer portal if we are going to get above mid pack in the B1G next season. Right now, if not for TJD, we would be fighting for air at the bottom of the ocean.

Edit to add: Also, can’t forget about Race and Kopp and the defensive presence alone that these two currently bring. Maybe not as consistent as we’d like but that can be said about the entire team defensively. Their loss isn’t nearly as massively huge as Trace and Jalen but will be a void to fill none the less and I don’t see anyone on the bench currently with similar strengths. Maybe Geronimo for Race.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I wasn’t aware that JHS was a lottery pick or sure fire first rounder. I wouldn’t draft him in the first round. As good as a player as he is sometimes and can be, he’s very reckless with the ball, not good enough on defense, and he’s wildly inconsistent. Maybe he’s gone, but no we don’t know that for sure. Regardless, we don’t have “plenty” of shooting. Who on this team or who coming is going to be a volume three point shooter all of a sudden? With X back we’re solid at PG with Cupps, but we don’t have a 2 (no Bates isn’t the guy and neither is Gunn….at least not yet, hope we aren’t counting on that), TG as our 3, who’s the 4? Not seeing it the way you are. I’m confident Woody will fill the holes, but we certainly don’t have “plenty” of talent already on the roster after the departures of TJD, Race, Kopp, and especially if you’re assuming JHS is gone. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I wasn’t aware that JHS was a lottery pick or sure fire first rounder. I wouldn’t draft him in the first round. As good as a player as he is sometimes and can be, he’s very reckless with the ball, not good enough on defense, and he’s wildly inconsistent. Maybe he’s gone, but no we don’t know that for sure. Regardless, we don’t have “plenty” of shooting. Who on this team or who coming is going to be a volume three point shooter all of a sudden? With X back we’re solid at PG with Cupps, but we don’t have a 2 (no Bates isn’t the guy and neither is Gunn….at least not yet, hope we aren’t counting on that), TG as our 3, who’s the 4? Not seeing it the way you are. I’m confident Woody will fill the holes, but we certainly don’t have “plenty” of talent already on the roster after the departures of TJD, Race, Kopp, and especially if you’re assuming JHS is gone. 

Every recent mock draft I’ve seen has JHS as a first round pick. Some in top 15

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Every recent mock draft I’ve seen has JHS as a first round pick. Some in top 15

I have seen him going in that 13-15 range myself.  Based off of last year, if he went #15, he would earn around 3.2 mil.  3 year contract would pay him around 10 mil.  The kid has to jump at that doesn't he?

As far as next year, I am not concerned.  I trust in Woody.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

I have seen him going in that 13-15 range myself.  Based off of last year, if he went #15, he would earn around 3.2 mil.  3 year contract would pay him around 10 mil.  The kid has to jump at that doesn't he?

Absolutely. Who wouldn't? Nothing to gain from coming back in that scenario. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Im not sure how much him and Trayce are making this year.  Isn't the Kentucky kid making 2 mil?  I'd say Jalen has earned himself a little NIL raise from someone wealthy  and hungry to hang banner 6.  Not to mention, the value of being named dropped for NPOY for the next 12 months and playing himself into top 5.  

Until it comes out definitive, I'm holding onto hoping for a return.  And geez him and X next year would be on a war path.  

9 hours ago, Inequality said:

I don’t see it at all. With the loss of Trace and Jalen, you’ve lost 98% of your scoring ability. I’m hoping miracles come in the form of the transfer portal if we are going to get above mid pack in the B1G next season. Right now, if not for TJD, we would be fighting for air at the bottom of the ocean.

Edit to add: Also, can’t forget about Race and Kopp and the defensive presence alone that these two currently bring. Maybe not as consistent as we’d like but that can be said about the entire team defensively. Their loss isn’t nearly as massively huge as Trace and Jalen but will be a void to fill none the less and I don’t see anyone on the bench currently with similar strengths. Maybe Geronimo for Race.

Sometimes taking away a crutch forces you to walk.  TJD in particular has been the cheat code for the rest of the team.

As far as Cupps and XJ go, Capps will be facing one of the best on ball defenders in the BIG every day in practice.  I would think that would only make him better.

• Like 1