Xavier Johnson will not return this season

2 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Next year this team's offense will be completely different IMO. Without TJD anchoring the offense I believe next years team with XJ coming back becomes more fast break/run and gun offense. I believe XJ, Bates, Banks, Geronimo and Gunn thrive in an offense like that. Our defense however...

I agree about the offense...It'll definitely be different...I think we'll get out more in transition...

And if we put in the work, our defense will be fine...

I think a lot of who plays for Mike Woodson is dictated by defense...XJ we know is a good on the ball defender...I think Tamar is "getting it" (and he's always said he believes that championships are won with defense), and Banks was getting minutes late in the year because of his improvement on the defensive end of the floor...Gunn showed some promise, but he needs to gamble less, learn switching and positioning, put some pounds on...and shoot about 500 jumpers per day...

I also think while we do have XJ coming back, there's a leadership void to be filled...That's where Tamar and Trey can really start showing progress during the off season...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Next year this team's offense will be completely different IMO. Without TJD anchoring the offense I believe next years team with XJ coming back becomes more fast break/run and gun offense. I believe XJ, Bates, Banks, Geronimo and Gunn thrive in an offense like that. Our defense however...

I cant begin to set expectations for next year. Once we know who's gone and who's coming it might get a little clearer.  Totally agree the O will be different without TJD in the middle. Our D will change. I think our perimeter D could improve while our interior D drops off. X will be huge there and I don't think we will be as susceptible to the dribble penetration.  Does that make it better or worse? Probably depends on what portal big we can get. 

As for Bates, I agree with @BobSaccamanno above in that he could erupt next year. Not counting on it but if the game slows down just a little, with an increased role and minutes...

XJ, GC

TB, CJ, JN

TG, KB

JG

MR, LD

There will be some some pieces to work with. looking forward to seeing it come together!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Woody said Tamar "earned his stripes tonight" in the Michigan post game regarding his defense on Bufkin...

That means a lot to Woody if he can get Tamar to be consistent on the DEFENSIVE end...

I think some of you sell Tamar short...He's shown he can get hot and hit 3 or 4 in a row...He just has to develop consistency on BOTH ENDS...He currently IS a 40% 3 point shooter (39% in conference play) with the 3rd most attempts on the team behind JHS and Kopp...And he's 96% from the line...We just need him to get there more...

I think he's going to be a big part of what we do going forward...

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree that we need him to be and it isn't unreasonable to think he can be more consistent, but until he proves otherwise he's still a pretty big question mark. 

All fair comments.  I really want Tamar to excel and if he wants to be at IU and work hard, I'll certainly root for his success.  It's just frustrating when he disappears after we see him have a great game.  I've said it before, but a Tamar that scores 8-12 a game is much more valuable than a Tamar that erupts for 20 and then scores 4-5 points total in the next tree games after that even if the season averages are the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

All fair comments.  I really want Tamar to excel and if he wants to be at IU and work hard, I'll certainly root for his success.  It's just frustrating when he disappears after we see him have a great game.  I've said it before, but a Tamar that scores 8-12 a game is much more valuable than a Tamar that erupts for 20 and then scores 4-5 points total in the next tree games after that even if the season averages are the same.

That said, if he wants to pencil in a couple of those 20 point games on the 23rd and 25th of March I will not be complaining. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2