B1G Tournament Thread

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If a team is a lock for the NCAAT, the two best scenarios are either win the BTT (only for the players’ legacy) or lose the first game. Anything in between is bad. Losing the championship game is worst possible scenario. 

Disagree. I'd rather develop a reputation of a program that wins games in the month of March, and we haven't done nearly enough of that lately. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not saying it should be the approach from the coaching staff or players. They should try to win every game. Just being pragmatic. 

Oh I know you are. I guess us old farts just don't have a lot of use for the BTT. I'd rather take that week, and the by-week and add 4-5 more games to get to 20 B1G games to even out the strength of schedule issues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If a team is a lock for the NCAAT, the two best scenarios are either win the BTT (only for the players’ legacy) or lose the first game. Anything in between is bad. Losing the championship game is worst possible scenario. 

I think we have been in a rough patch lately.  A few games against good competition that really don't mean much could be a way to get right before it is win or go home for good.  We need to get back to that team that went on a tear after losing to Iowa, Northwestern, and Penn State.

On another note, it is nice to go into this week knowing we are in the tournament and not having to win a couple games to get a chance to get in.  Best position we have been in for 6 or 7 years heading into this week.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I just think with the minutes that TJD and JHS have to play and Race’s creaky knee, playing three games in three days won’t be helpful 

I can see that argument too.  Worry about getting too rusty with a long lay off though.  Doesn't feel like we play well when we have them.

Edited by IUCrazy2

Win one and avoid the bad loss should secure the 4 seed. Win two should put them in the 3 seed discussion, if nothing else. Win 3 to take the championship and get some help along the way from others falling off early, who knows.  I'm hoping they stay away from the 5 seed in the big dance.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Win one and avoid the bad loss should secure the 4 seed. Win two should put them in the 3 seed discussion, if nothing else. Win 3 to take the championship and get some help along the way from others falling off early, who knows.  I'm hoping they stay away from the 5 seed in the big dance.

There was an example last year of I think Texas A&M or maybe Oklahoma who made a push in conference tourneys but still didn't make tourney. Can't remember the team who lost in conference tourney opener but they still made the tourney over the others. Guess my point is regular season seems to carry far more weight anymore. I think our 4 seed is secure already honestly. We could go to 3 if we add a couple more W's and someone like Tennessee loses early. 

I think there is one 3 seed that might be available for the taking.

Gonzaga, Marquette, and Kansas State appear to be locks for no worse than a 3.  The projected 3 that may be shaky is Tennessee, however, even then, their NET and KenPom is extremely strong.  

But, let's say the Vols slip.  In that scenario, UCONN would seem to be the logical team with a claim to grab it.  IU's only chance is to win the BTT and hope UT loses early in the SEC and that UCONN fails to win Big East.

Edited by 5fouls

I'm honestly not convinced our 4 is safe, especially if we lose before Sunday.  Our NET, KenPom, and W/L record dont measure up.

And, what happens if we lose to NW for a THIRD time?  How do we get a 4 while they get a 6?  You can say 'their NET', but that brings us back to our own NET, which is more indicative of a 7 seed, not a 4.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There was an example last year of I think Texas A&M or maybe Oklahoma who made a push in conference tourneys but still didn't make tourney. Can't remember the team who lost in conference tourney opener but they still made the tourney over the others. Guess my point is regular season seems to carry far more weight anymore. I think our 4 seed is secure already honestly. We could go to 3 if we add a couple more W's and someone like Tennessee loses early. 

It was A&M.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:24 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

I just think with the minutes that TJD and JHS have to play and Race’s creaky knee, playing three games in three days won’t be helpful 

You have to remember we're playing for more than just this season. Recruits tend to be more drawn to programs that win on big stages. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm honestly not convinced our 4 is safe, especially if we lose before Sunday.  Our NET, KenPom, and W/L record dont measure up.

And, what happens if we lose to NW for a THIRD time?  How do we get a 4 while they get a 6?  You can say 'their NET', but that brings us back to our own NET, which is more indicative of a 7 seed, not a 4.

I don't see enough teams with a legit chance to pass us. Bracket Matrix has NW as a 7. They're not passing us. The 5's are St. Mary's who lost their conference and picked up no impressive wins along the way. Iowa St. has been struggling a lot down the stretch. San Diego St. has a recent bad loss and no potential for good wins left. UVA and Miami I guess could pass us, but they can't both win the conference. I would love to get at least one win to cinch it, but the 4 seems a lock. Let's not forget the committee put us at the top 4, and that was when a lot of brackets had us lower, so they like our quality wins and lack of bad losses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think there is one 3 seed that might be available for the taking.

Gonzaga, Marquette, and Kansas State appear to be locks for no worse than a 3.  The projected 3 that may be shaky is Tennessee, however, even then, their NET and KenPom is extremely strong.  

But, let's say the Vols slip.  In that scenario, UCONN would seem to be the logical team with a claim to grab it.  IU's only chance is to win the BTT and hope UT loses early in the SEC and that UCONN fails to win Big East.

As we saw with the end of our conference regular season, just about anything can happen! I feel we have a very realistic chance of making the BTT final; depending on how well we play, there could be consideration for a line bump.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And what is with the BTN? Pre game, Hummel, Rapheal Davis, and Weber, all with the stench of West Lafayette on them... Can't they find any former Hoosiers? 

Oladipo, Zeller, Anunoby, Bryant, Gordon, and Langford are in the NBA.  Hornsby is a heart surgeon.  Woodson is coaching the team.  Brian Sloan is a professor at the IU school of Medicine. Basically, our guys have better things to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Oladipo, Zeller, Anunoby, Bryant, Gordon, and Langford are in the NBA.  Hornsby is a heart surgeon.  Woodson is coaching the team.  Brian Sloan is a professor at the IU school of Medicine. Basically, our guys have better things to do.

So astronaut or BTN?