Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'm quoting you as a jumping off point.  I'm not directing this at you, Scott. 

It's not the percentage that is a problem, it's the volume.  We hit 38% of 10 threes while teams like PSU and Iowa hit 33% of 24 3s.  That doubles them up on points off the three.  We need to shoot more and find ways to get more open looks from 3. 

YES.  Miller Kopp is the epitome of this problem - low volume, good percentage.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

I understand that but the fact of the matter is we have no depth anyways. Idk I just feel like a CJ would have been a perfect 12th/13th guy this year. He has projection. Leal I hate to say it only comes in with walk ons. Like I said I love him. But… I would welcome any talent that could carve a role in the 12/13 spot. Not trying to start an argument just saying after watching this season we need all the talent we can get. 

Since we only play at the most 9 guys it is more important to get better players to replace guys who are playing.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do you realize that in his first year with the Knicks they broke the season record for the most 3's shot in NBA history. He uses this team offense because of our roster right now

I hope you're right and that things change next year. Offensively an guarding the three better.

12 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

You say that but the truth of the matter is… We desperately need bench pieces. These two have are buried on the bench and probably won’t even provide next year. I like Leal as a person but it’s kinda needed. 

Woodson isnt going to play 13.  And, he already has to replace THD, Race, Kopp, and JHS.  Others will leave on their own.  The roster we be overhauled without nudging guys off.  

Seriously, would you (or a coach/teammate) want Anthony Leal as the 13th scholarship player, or someone that is going to bitch and moan about playing time.

I'll take a Leal in that scenario 101 times out of 100.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Woodson isnt going to play 13.  And, he already has to replace THD, Race, Kopp, and JHS.  Others will leave on their own.  The roster we be overhauled without nudging guys off.  

Seriously, would you (or a coach/teammate) want Anthony Leal as the 13th scholarship player, or someone that is going to bitch and moan about playing time.

I'll take a Leal in that scenario 101 times out of 100.

Problem is we have 3 guys that are “the 13 man right now that aren’t close to playing. 1/3 have to go atleast.

14 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

I understand that but the fact of the matter is we have no depth anyways. Idk I just feel like a CJ would have been a perfect 12th/13th guy this year. He has projection. Leal I hate to say it only comes in with walk ons. Like I said I love him. But… I would welcome any talent that could carve a role in the 12/13 spot. Not trying to start an argument just saying after watching this season we need all the talent we can get. 

Also where we need the improvement is instead of having Race, Galloway and Kopp being your 3-5 players they need to be your 7-9 players.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Problem is we have 3 guys that are “the 13 man right now that aren’t close to playing. 1/3 have to go atleast.

I never seen a fan base worr about trying to replace your 12-13 players. Most teams don't even carry 13 scholarship players. We have to get better roster from players 3-8

3 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Either the team is mentally soft or they have no heart. Our defense needs revamped. When is it fundamentally sound to jump past the 3 point shooter with no way to recover? Trading 3s for 2s is not good math. Whoever draws up the out of bounds plays should be removed. When I coached, I loved when teams pressed us It was easy scoring. IU has no idea how to set up a press breaker. No screens, little movement to get open and bad spacing! No one is a threat to score. Why? Need to watch the girls play to understand team basketball. Draw the defense and kick it out. nstead, we draw the defense and force the shot...why not hand the ball to the defense and get back down the floor? Ball screens are terrible on defense. Gallaway has a bad habit of turning into the screen instead of sliding through it. Ball screens are not coached anymore...PATHETIC. No need to switch if coached the right way. We have no go to guy for the outside shot. A 6th year player should dominate from outside. Why is he on the floor? 2 players came to play: Race and Reneau.

Heard many experts on TV state that Woodson has some of the best OOB plays. We score a lot of points off of those plays.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

IU needs so many shooters. I’m sorry but if you can’t get any playing time on scholarship this season they should probably not be with the program. I hate to say it but Duccomb and Leal probably should go for better improvements. Go ahead and bash me but it’s the reality that needs to happen. 

12th and 13th guys on the bench aren’t playing…doesn’t matter who they are. We are not getting shooters to sit the bench to break glass if needed.

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Glad I stayed away from the game thread, and this one seems to be headed down the same hole. The negative turn here is really disappointing.

We got beat today by a group of old, experienced players. IMO, turning points of the game were both problems stemming from our inexperienced guys. Trace doubles to help inside, shot missed, MR doesn’t block out and their big has a dunk put back. Next defensive possession MR overplays on Lundy and gives up an and 1. Finally, we tie it and come down and JHS turns it over leading to a Funk 3 and away they go. Their experienced guys made experienced plays. Our young guys made young guy mistakes. Hopefully, they can learn from them as we will need better play from them in the tournament that matters.

Proud of the fight we exhibited. Like @Indykevsaid, I wondered why we didn’t press more/earlier. With them playing 3 games in 3 days, I think we could have worn them out. Very pleased with Bates, and think he has surpassed TG. Kopp has to get out of his own head and be ready to shoot when he’s open. 
We will have the advantage of playing v teams who have never faced a TJD. This talk of not making it out of the 1st round is laughable. 

Some folks need to get a grip. Only one team was going to win this tournament, and frankly having an extra day’s rest isn’t a bad thing 

Agree with just about everything, but I would point out that we had some experienced players that didn't play like experienced players

• Like 4