Successful Season? The Big Dance

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am such an idiot because for shits and giggles I looked at the rivals board and they didn't disappoint. First thread if you ran IU basketball like a business. The poster said after we lose in the first or second round they should to tell Woodson thank you and then fire him. Everytime I think this board goes a little haywire I should just remember how good we have it here.

If we had been wildly successful recently and this was a super-attractive job that people were tripping over themselves trying to get into, we could maybe get away with that. We haven't been nearly good enough recently to justify getting rid of anybody after tying for second in the Big Ten. But our fanbase has an antiquated view about that, among many other things. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

All things taken into consideration ( pre season expectations, injuries, etc), I will be disappointed with anything less than a sweet 16. I know the potential 4/5 game is a crap shoot that we might lose, but I’ll be disappointed if we do. This team needs to play the second weekend. 

To me losing in the second round would make the post season disappointing but the not the whole season 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

If we had been wildly successful recently and this was a super-attractive job that people were tripping over themselves trying to get into, we could maybe get away with that. We haven't been nearly good enough recently to justify getting rid of anybody after tying for second in the Big Ten. But our fanbase has an antiquated view about that, among many other things. 

If the last couple of years have shown you anything that even when blue bloods have job openings they don't hire a home run.

We have a consensus All-American. We have a guard who many think is a first round draft choice. We will be playing against teams who have never seen us before, other than on tape. For all the accolades that this board heaps on TJD, there seems to be this persistent negativity about this team. 

I believe that he is not going to want to leave IU without making some noise. I believe that regardless of all the numbers and achievements, he wants to create a legacy that is more than just being a stat sheet stuffer. 
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we are playing in the Elite 8. As much as TJD has carried us thus far, I think he has a ways to go 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

We're going to be a 4 or 5 seed.  That means we're playing the #1 seed in the Sweet 16.  Doubtful we can beat any of those except Purdue (who will not be in our region).  Not sure we should expect an Elite 8.  

We will be a team that gets picked as an upset special by a good deal of the talking heads.  We are vulnerable to the type of game play that usually leads to that.  Letting one of these 12 or 13 seeds get hot from 3 and we can't keep pace.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We will be a team that gets picked as an upset special by a good deal of the talking heads.  We are vulnerable to the type of game play that usually leads to that.  Letting one of these 12 or 13 seeds get hot from 3 and we can't keep pace.

A team like Kent St from the MAC probably be on the 13 line and would be a tough game.

5 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Not to dive too much into next year because we still have this team to root for in the NCAA’s…but you mention 3 from the transfer portal…I agree…I could even see 4. Not sure if there’s anyone on this current team (besides X and maybe Malik) that’s going to be a for sure starter for next year’s team.

I think Galloway will make a jump next year. He actually will have an off season to get better. He’ll fill the Kopp starter role.

Went from play-in to 2nd in B1G, sweep of Purdue, B1GT double bye, definitely in NCAA all with injuries and toughest conference schedule. So I'll call the regular season a success despite the disappointments (PSU, Iowa, NW 0 wins).

For me to call post-season a success, have to improve on our NCAA performance from last year. So 1st round win a must, which would constitute a minor success. A significant success for me would be advancing to 2nd weekend. However, I'm far from confident we'll manage either of these.

The frustrating thing, of course, is not being more confident in our ability to break through to Sweet 16 due to the key weaknesses that plagued us all year and added up to no victories against PSU, Iowa, NW. We struggle mightily against those offenses and we don't have consistent offensive contributions beyond TJD and JHS. Those offenses are common in the modern game and our supporting cast is as inconsistent and seemingly lacking confidence as ever - especially on the perimeter. 

• Like 6

Holistically, I'd say this season is a success so far... 

2nd in the Big 10. Best finish in the league since 2016. Comfortably made the NCAA tournament... Despite the injuries...

Also brought in 2 5 star freshman... One developed into the Big 10 Freshman of the Year, Second/Third Team All Big 10.

Had a first team All American, First Team All Big 10, All Big 10 defensive team...

Those things pay dividends on the recruiting end of things...

I'm not a "quick fix" guy. The program I'd like to see, and the one I think Coach Woodson envisions, is one like someone else said... Always in the hunt, and giving ourselves a chance in the tournament, which is as volatile as ever... Good kids who want to get better both on and off the court...And that takes time... 

Right now I've got us as a 7 out of 10... Lose first round, that probably slips to a 6... Win a couple... Well, we'll see 😉

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

I think this season is already a step in the right direction, but I will be disappointed if we don’t make the second weekend. I really hope Woody addresses the perimeter defense and perimeter shooting issues this off-season that seem to be a consistent issue with this team in the last 10 years. Would also like to see a more consistent effort on D overall. No excuse for guys to be having miscommunications left and right at this point in the season. If we’re still seeing these issues come big10 play next year then I’m going to be wondering where the deeper problem lies. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Silly and short sighted notion to fire Woodson already. Things are trending the right direction and the majority of these players weren’t recruited by Woody. We’ve yet to see the makeup of a Woodson team. There ARE things he needs to improve on and I think he will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The two areas I can question are the fundamentals of shooting and nutrition.  1. Why on earth do we not shoot the majority of our shots from five feet using the backboard. This has been a problem with this bunch now for years. A non bank shot from five feet in is one of the toughest shots in the game. They should practice angles and bank shots everyday. 

2. Nutrition. I cant tell you how many times we have been a step slow or just looked weak? We have had many games this season this has been evident. Not sure what the problem is? but is seems to affect IU more so then a lot of the top tier programs? 

8 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

The two areas I can question are the fundamentals of shooting and nutrition.  1. Why on earth do we not shoot the majority of our shots from five feet using the backboard. This has been a problem with this bunch now for years. A non bank shot from five feet in is one of the toughest shots in the game. They should practice angles and bank shots everyday. 

2. Nutrition. I cant tell you how many times we have been a step slow or just looked weak? We have had many games this season this has been evident. Not sure what the problem is? but is seems to affect IU more so then a lot of the top tier programs? 

Nobody uses the board any longer, it isn't cool. How close do you watch other programs because it seems like a lot of teams shows this inconsistency 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Nobody uses the board any longer, it isn't cool. How close do you watch other programs because it seems like a lot of teams shows this inconsistency 

Not trying to be combative, but I don't care about other teams. I care about IU. If we can make five ft and in bank shots that would give us an advantage, if other teams can't. 

When CMW was hired we all had some kind of timeline. 

Most of us would have agreed on this.....I think.

Year 1: Beat Purdue, Make tourney

Year 2: Compete for Big Ten title, beat Purdue, get seed in tourney where we are playing as a higher seed until the Sweet 16.

Year 3: Win and keep winning.

How is CMW doing so far?

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Not trying to be combative, but I don't care about other teams. I care about IU. If we can make five ft and in bank shots that would give us an advantage, if other teams can't. 

I agree , players should use the backboard lot more than hey do, BUT modern players, including IU’s  just don’t want to it appears.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:12 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

We have a consensus All-American. We have a guard who many think is a first round draft choice. We will be playing against teams who have never seen us before, other than on tape. For all the accolades that this board heaps on TJD, there seems to be this persistent negativity about this team. 

I believe that he is not going to want to leave IU without making some noise. I believe that regardless of all the numbers and achievements, he wants to create a legacy that is more than just being a stat sheet stuffer. 
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we are playing in the Elite 8. As much as TJD has carried us thus far, I think he has a ways to go 

I don't think the problem is TJD. The other seniors, however, have to step up and they haven't been able to do it consistently

On 3/11/2023 at 7:04 PM, Hoosier987 said:

I’m interested to gauge what others think…Now that we’re reaching the end of the year and are 0-2 against our pre-season goals (season title and BTT title) what would would we need to do in “The Dance” to make you feel like this was a successful season?

Is it National Title? Final Four? Sweet 16/Elite 8? Maybe you’re just happy we made the Tournament?

For me personally, it’s making the second weekend (Sweet 16). If we get bounced in the first weekend I would consider this year a big disappointment. What is everyone else’s thoughts?

My preseason goals weren't that. Expecting a Big Ten title sweep was always ambitious for a team that hadn't had a winning conference record in five years. I wanted a top four finish in the Big Ten and to make the second weekend in the NCAA. We tied for second in the B10, and now have a clear path to the Sweet Sixteen, maybe the Elite Eight and beyond.

I had no goals related to the Big Ten Tournament, a meaningless event. Winning a game there was enough.

We're 1-1 on my goals. If we make it 2-2, that's arguably one of the five best seasons for this program in a generation. With that perspective, it's hard for me to understand the negative posts I see in this and other threads. I want to get back to conference championships and contending for a 1 seed. I'm okay if that doesn't happen yet in the second season of a new coach. As BGleas said, final judgment on this program and coach will be made in the seasons to come. For now, we're miles from the experience of Indiana Basketball under the previous regime and that's progress. 

A four seed in the Tournament is pretty neat! It's a season's resume among the top sixteen in the country! This team flashed a ceiling that was even higher, but why let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I'm going to enjoy each win in the Tournament. If we lose, I'll only be sad because there won't be more wins to enjoy. Cheers! 🍻

• Like 5

I'm happy with where this program is right now, and I think this year was a success overall to this point, especially considering the injuries. That being said, we're seeded to go to the S16, and if we lose before that with the talent and experience we have going in, that's simply going to be a pretty big disappointment that will tarnish the season a bit IMO.

• Like 1

I think for this team, as constructed today, Sweet 16 is a very successful season. The reason we were playing so well at the end of the year last year, frankly, was not because TJD suddenly became a basketball killer on the court. It was because of X, the one guy on the team who plays chippy with attitude, who reigned the chippiness in and was under control. I am not saying that X is the best player on this team. But, what he brings, we lost that completely when he was injured. And that is killer instinct and, frankly, the desire to bury and embarrass the other team is the one thing we miss. X being in this lineup changes so much by getting others to play the same way, but also to play loose, to play rough, to body people up and if you're going to foul, get you money's worth. Not to mention, he got people shots, not only his own. Think of the wide open threes we got with X in the game. I remember all the drives to the rim for layups. Offense was freer, guys played meaner. That attitude is what we miss most from X. So yeah, without him I think Sweet 16 is a really good season. Anything more than that is because we get hot for a few games and ride it out. Honestly this is a season where that can happen, given there is no dominant team that we look at and say, wow, they're going to be tough to beat. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 10:12 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Pulling off a Danny Manning performance in the tournament would be a nice story for sure.  Are you young at heart, Steubenhoosier?  Because Sinatra says for a fairy tale to come true you gotta be young at heart.  I can say it...I am!!  GO HOOSIERS!!

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1