Selection Sunday

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did you just post 11 games or something of TJDs as an example to try and show why JHS isn't consistent? 

And if THAT is the measuring stick.... literally 99% of players in the country aren't consistent. Which is fine, but that is absolutely what you're saying. 

I did. And not to compare the 2 as I realize there is a huge difference. The point was that you don't see the ups and downs, the roller coaster ride. Which defines consistency.

2 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

I did. And not to compare the 2 as I realize there is a huge difference. The point was that you don't see the ups and downs, the roller coaster ride. Which defines consistency.

I don't think there's a roller coaster ride with JHS. He take the same damn shots every game, gets to the same spots on the floor, shoots the ball the same way... and actually recently has been getting to the rack more often...

Ok.... So... only about 1-2% of player in the country are consistent, then. Trayce is a 1st team AA. 

14, 7, 16, 17, 5, 27, 13, 6, 12, 18, 6, and 11.... those are TJDs last 12 games his FR season.... those aren't as good, or as consistent as JHSs........ 

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. So... only about 1-2% of player in the country are consistent, then. Trayce is a 1st team AA. 

14, 7, 16, 17, 5, 27, 13, 6, 12, 18, 6, and 11.... those are TJDs last 12 games his FR season.... those aren't as good, or as consistent as JHSs........ 

Pretty much yeah. The really good players, ie the AA are consistent. Most are not. 

Just now, Basketball Junkie said:

Pretty much yeah. The really good players, ie the AA are consistent. Most are not. 

Ok. that's fine...so there are 10 ish consistent players a year in CBB. And I'm not being facetious, if that is the baseline for being consistent.... no JHS is definitely not. But again, 99% of the country isn't either. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Probably easier to say how I don't define consistency. I don't define it solely by making and missing shots. 

Kopp plays hard consistently. He plays hard, smart defense consistently, and a lot of times defends guys that are tough to guard. He rarely turns the ball over. He knows and plays to his role offensively. 

He shoots 57% from 2pt range and 44% from 3pt range. 

He's only 5th on the team in FGA per game, so he's not a high volume guys, so I'm more judging him on those things in the first paragraph for consistency. 

Guess I'll have to agree to disagree...

Like I said, my eyes see something different. and you're right. He doesn't shoot often enough.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ok. that's fine...so there are 10 ish consistent players a year in CBB. And I'm not being facetious, if that is the baseline for being consistent.... no JHS is definitely not. But again, 99% of the country isn't either. 

No, ha ha… being consistent or inconsistent has nothing to do with how good you are or what you average. I already gave you a low level example of why average means nothing in this argument. A lot of us have already established that we feel like MK is consistent. He’s definitely not one of the top 10 players in college basketball. And he’s definitely not as good as JHS, but he’s more consistent in the numbers he does produce. More consistent defensively for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

No, ha ha… being consistent or inconsistent has nothing to do with how good you are or what you average. I already gave you a low level example of why average means nothing in this argument. A lot of us have already established that we feel like MK is consistent. He’s definitely not one of the top 10 players in college basketball. And he’s definitely not as good as JHS, but he’s more consistent in the numbers he does produce. More consistent defensively for sure. 

He's put in A LOT better position to succeed. His tasks aren't close to as strenuous as JHS. Which is exactly how simple TGs role would have been, as well. Sigh

I would probably have agreed with you until the last 11 games/33% of the season... but Jalen's been money down the stretch. 

The games I listed show that. 

So someone I love dearly just gave me her brackets. We do several in various pools here and around the country. I look at her and say you have 30% exposure to the team from 765 area code. Her reply. I'd rather donate the $ but if those c--------- are going to make it I better profit from it. 

Not sure what to think on that. On one hand I agree. On another hand I just can't simply put have $ on Purdue even in spite form. 

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN ranked the NCAA coaches as PLAYERS.  Coach Woodson comes in at #2 (Alford was #3 and Penny Hardaway was #1).

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35761259/ranking-2023-ncaa-tournament-men-basketball-coaches-players

image.png.3164cb3071b328e6145aecc7ad4a6098.png

Was looking at this list a little closer.  thought it was interesting that at least 7 of the 68 coaches on the list went to high school in Indiana (which is about 5.75 more than the state's share should have been).

The 7 I know went to high school in Indiana

• Mike Woodson - Indiana
  • Steve Alford - Nevada
  • Bryce Drew Grand Canyon
  • Matt Painter - Purdue
  • Micah Shrewsberry - Penn State
  • Dusty May - Florida Atlantic
  • Scott Drew - Baylor

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's put in A LOT better position to succeed. His tasks aren't close to as strenuous as JHS. Which is exactly how simple TGs role would have been, as well. Sigh

I would probably have agreed with you until the last 11 games/33% of the season... but Jalen's been money down the stretch. 

The games I listed show that. 

It’s fine to argue his job is much tougher and with a better team around him he’d be more consistently productive. But his average of the last 11 games can say he was pretty good, but it doesn’t mean he was consistent. Sorry, it just doesn’t. But I’ll digress. Hopefully he is consistently good over the next six games. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Was looking at this list a little closer.  thought it was interesting that at least 7 of the 68 coaches on the list went to high school in Indiana (which is about 5.75 more than the state's share should have been).

The 7 I know went to high school in Indiana

• Mike Woodson - Indiana
  • Steve Alford - Nevada
  • Bryce Drew Grand Canyon
  • Matt Painter - Purdue
  • Micah Shrewsberry - Penn State
  • Dusty May - Florida Atlantic
  • Scott Drew - Baylor

Absurd

On 3/15/2023 at 6:53 AM, 5fouls said:

ESPN ranked the NCAA coaches as PLAYERS.  Coach Woodson comes in at #2 (Alford was #3 and Penny Hardaway was #1).

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35761259/ranking-2023-ncaa-tournament-men-basketball-coaches-players

image.png.3164cb3071b328e6145aecc7ad4a6098.png

A lot of coaches on the list played DII, DIII, NAIA & community college ball. Multiple paths to becoming a D1 coach. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:19 PM, BGleas said:

The only Big Ten team I root for is IU. I hope the rest of them lose. We compete with them for the conference and recruits, I have no interest in seeing them advance in the tournament. 

I dont really have that much interest in the conference prestige thing either. Kansas dominating a underperforming Big 12 for like 15 years didn't impact what the rest of the country thought of them. 

I also don't care about the "Big Ten hasn't won a title in X years thing." Really only cares about IU's streak. 

Sorry to quote myself but I need to amend this post. I think I was still bummed about the BTT loss. 

I do root for the Big Ten to do respectable early in the tournament. Not because I care about the Big Ten's perception nationally, but more because I want it to justify IU and the gauntlet we just went through in the regular season. 

Someone said it last night, but the Big Ten's first round record this year was solid, and the teams that won are the ones I'm good with and the ones that lost are the ones I'm glad lost. 

I hope Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, MSU, Wisconsin and Michigan lose every tournament game they play. 

But the rest, I don't mind mini-runs to keep the conference record solid. I'm rooting for PSU and NW tonight. 

After that, I don't root for any Big Ten team, except IU of course, to go any further than the Sweet Sixteen.  

I think the only time I was rooting for a Big Ten team beyond that was Wisconsin to beat UK in the Final Four they year UK was undefeated. Then I was glad they lost in the Final. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Sorry to quote myself but I need to amend this post. I think I was still bummed about the BTT loss. 

I do root for the Big Ten to do respectable early in the tournament. Not because I care about the Big Ten's perception nationally, but more because I want it to justify IU and the gauntlet we just went through in the regular season. 

Someone said it last night, but the Big Ten's first round record this year was solid, and the teams that won are the ones I'm good with and the ones that lost are the ones I'm glad lost. 

I hope Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, MSU, Wisconsin and Michigan lose every tournament game they play. 

But the rest, I don't mind mini-runs to keep the conference record solid. I'm rooting for PSU and NW tonight. 

After that, I don't root for any Big Ten team, except IU of course, to go any further than the Sweet Sixteen.  

I think the only time I was rooting for a Big Ten team beyond that was Wisconsin to beat UK in the Final Four they year UK was undefeated. Then I was glad they lost in the Final. 

PSU is going to be beat Texas tonight. 

• Like 1