NCAA Tournament 1st Round-Kent State Pre-Game

IUFLA

27 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It’s not so much the start I’m worried about. We tend to start okay. It’s the post first media timeout 12-2 opposition run I’m looking to avoid. We’ve seen that quite a bit the last few games. Even in wins, we’ve had to dig out of a hole. I would like to avoid that Friday night. 

From here on out, have to keep up the intensity. Can't just assume we can turn it on at will. No need to let teams hang around.

• Like 3

IU and Kent State did have one common opponent... We beat Miami of Ohio by 30 in Gainbridge Field House early in the year... Kent State beat them by 3 on the road in Oxford in their only MAC meeting... Miami was 12-20 (6-12 in the MAC) on the season... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

People love Kent State +4 and Kent State ML, since most bets are leaning to that 

Obviously, we've laid the occasional egg, so I sort of get it. But, at the same time, even going back past years, the one thing you can always count on TJD to do is destroy teams that are beneath him. When was the last time he didn't dominate a small conference team? I have no doubt he will score in the 30s if we need him to. Hard to see us losing if he just goes off - doesn't seem like this opponent has the offensive fire power to counter that.

This is a really good scouting report by Evan Wilson. He's a walk-on at Akron. He's from Noblesville and grew up an IU fan. Akron has faced KSU six times in his two years at Akron. 

He kept emphasizing that IU cannot turn the ball over against them. They are very physically and mentally tough. They are also a team that feeds off momentum, especially if they are getting steals and converting. Not a great 3-point shooting team, but they make clutch shots. Will punish you with second chance opportunities. 

• Thanks 7

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is a really good scouting report by Evan Wilson. He's a walk-on at Akron. He's from Noblesville and grew up an IU fan. Akron has faced KSU six times in his two years at Akron. 

He kept emphasizing that IU cannot turn the ball over against them. They are very physically and mentally tough. They are also a team that feeds off momentum, especially if they are getting steals and converting. Not a great 3-point shooting team, but they make clutch shots. Will punish you with second chance opportunities. 

Good listen.  Thanks for posting.  We'd better be ready.

19 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Let's find out good sir! 

Lot of hard hedging there. I wonder if they always do that. I'd love to see JHS attack that with TJD rolling hard. I could see us make lazy passes off that, but I could also see lobs to TJD and lots of dunks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John S said:

Not to diminish TJD, but Timme’s leadership and outside shooting is better, imo.  

Agree on the outside shooting. Leadership is a subjective thing and not sure how to compare the two, other than to say that Trace has carried this team on his back more so than any Hoosier player I have seen in a long time.

TJD has athleticism and explosiveness that I highly doubt Kent State has seen from a big man. I fully expect him to dominate inside this game 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

how does that make sense 

My guess is that we play a lot better loose and confident than we do timid.

Without knowing the games that make up those records, the games we look the worst are often just not a result of turnovers but playing scared and uptight/indecisive on offense. 

• Like 2

From the Daily Hoosier:  IU one of six programs to have media embedded with team throughout March Madness

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-basketball-to-be-featured-behind-the-scenes-during-march-madness/

Let’s hope it won’t be a distraction for our boys. I’m kind of surprised Woody agreed to it. 

What does everyone think? 

• Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My guess is that we play a lot better loose and confident than we do timid.

Without knowing the games that make up those records, the games we look the worst are often just not a result of turnovers but playing scared and uptight/indecisive on offense. 

This is a guess, but agree with your point, and would add that maybe some of those  high turnover games are from transition turnovers. 

I say that because we don't get a lot of easy buckets and we don't turn teams over nearly enough, so maybe those higher turnover games were games where we got in transition more, which despite the turnovers is good for our team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John S said:

Not to diminish TJD, but Timme’s leadership and outside shooting is better, imo.  

As others have said leadership is subjective. TJD been a really good leader this year. 

With that said, Timme has him on perimeter shooting, but TJD is a vastly superior defensive player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

As others have said leadership is subjective. TJD been a really good leader this year. 

With that said, Timme has him on perimeter shooting, but TJD is a vastly superior defensive player. 

Does Timme have him on perimeter shooting? He was 2/22 from three this season and has a worse FT percentage that TJD.

Obviously have no idea what TJD would make out of 22 attempts, but feel like more than 2 is a safe guess. 

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Does Timme have him on perimeter shooting? He was 2/22 from three this season and has a worse FT percentage that TJD.

Obviously have no idea what TJD would make out of 22 attempts, but feel like more than 2 is a safe guess. 

Good point, sounds like he doesn't even have him on that. Thanks for sharing the stats. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierGirlinTucson said:

From the Daily Hoosier:  IU one of six programs to have media embedded with team throughout March Madness

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-basketball-to-be-featured-behind-the-scenes-during-march-madness/

Let’s hope it won’t be a distraction for our boys. I’m kind of surprised Woody agreed to it. 

What does everyone think? 

Just saw the first segment in between the two Dayton games tonight.  Hadn't even seen your post yet and was coming here to mention it.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1