The non-IU National Tournament thread…

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And now UConn has joined us with 5 titles...all since 1999.  Nice run for them.  I hope we get it figured out at some point, I'd really like to see another one.  I was 8 in 1987, I barely remember the last one.

ETA:  And is it just me or does it seem like UConn is like an opportunistic school?  They have been kind of meh, but they always seem to be ready to win one in a year like this where the "traditional" powers are all suffering from a down year?

Also, 3 of their 5 titles have been as a 3 seed or lower. This one was as a 5 seed and I think they have one as a 7 seed. 

It's just really kind of a weird resume for a program with 5 titles. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Also, 3 of their 5 titles have been as a 3 seed or lower. This one was as a 5 seed and I think they have one as a 7 seed. 

It's just really kind of a weird resume for a program with 5 titles. 

I also heard last night that they were the first program in history to have 3 consecutive coaches win a national title.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...that's two plus hours of my life I'll never get back.

Not a very competitive game.  Not particularly well-played.  UConn doesn't look particularly impressive tonight but is still the far superior team and is just toying with SDSU.

Sucks when a pretty unpredictable tournament yields such a snooze-fest for a championship game.

Man, what I would give to have a couple athletic wings / shooters like UCONN!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So at the end of the 2017 season we should have hired Dan Hurley over Archie Miller? 

You mean arguably the worst coach in Indiana history? Of course but anybody would have been better.

I don't know if he would have come, though. Archie Miller had to be talked into it from little Dayton. 

I think Indiana is known in basketball circles for terrible leadership from the President down to the AD. I think it's also known for nuking its own program over a phone call and just general incompetence. No coach worth their salt wants to come here. 

9 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

You mean arguably the worst coach in Indiana history? Of course but anybody would have been better.

I don't know if he would have come, though. Archie Miller had to be talked into it from little Dayton. 

I think Indiana is known in basketball circles for terrible leadership from the President down to the AD. I think it's also known for nuking its own program over a phone call and just general incompetence. No coach worth their salt wants to come here. 

I guess you knew more than all the college basketball experts who said Archie was the top coaching candidate that season. You realize that Hurley coached at little old Rhode Island before UCONN

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So you don't think Coach Woodson is "worth his salt"?

This hire was as exciting as a potato. When The Assembly Call guys are looking like they are eating a turd sandwich when they were discussing the hire, I think it's a problem.

You guys like the national guys so much. I'm pretty sure several mocked the hire at the time.

He's a fine man and was a great player. No other power 5 program would have hired him. But it was the best that the program could do.

Edited by Sea Turtle

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess you knew more than all the college basketball experts who said Archie was the top coaching candidate that season. You realize that Hurley coached at little old Rhode Island before UCONN

I dont really care what the national guys were saying. You think they were going to rain on Archies parade? They know him and his brother.

People were telling Glass to his face that he would be a disaster. And they were right.

Edited by Sea Turtle

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

This hire was as exciting as a potato. When The Assembly Call guys are looking like they are eating a turd sandwich when they were discussing the hire, I think it's a problem.

You guys like the national guys so much. I'm pretty sure several mocked the hire at the time.

He's a fine man and was a great player. No other power 5 program would have hired him. But it was the best that the program could do.

And he's publicly said he would have never taken another college job... IU was the only one he was interested in...

As far as the "national guys" go, I hope the crow is tasty... He's done pretty well in the 2 years he's been in Bloomington...

With more to come... 

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

Would any other power conference teams hire Hubert Davis or Schyer at Duke. You act like all these blue blood teams go out and hire the best coaches in the country when they have an opening.

UCONN replaced Calhoun with Kevin Ollie 

Syracuse replaced Boheim with Adrian Autry

UNC replaces Roy Williams with Hubert Davis.

Duke replaces coach K with Schyer 

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Would any other power conference teams hire Hubert Davis or Schyer at Duke. You act like all these blue blood teams go out and hire the best coaches in the country when they have an opening.

UCONN replaced Calhoun with Kevin Ollie 

Syracuse replaced Boheim with Adrian Autry

UNC replaces Roy Williams with Hubert Davis.

Duke replaces coach K with Schyer 

Weren't three of those guys the number 1 assistant for retiring HOF coaches? That tends to happen.

I don't know why Davis was hired. That was an odd hire.

Edit: Nevermind. I see that Davis was an assistant for Roy as well.

Edited by Sea Turtle

12 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Weren't three of those guys the number 1 assistant for retiring HOF coaches? That tends to happen.

I don't know why Davis was hired. That was an odd hire.

Edit: Nevermind. I see that Davis was an assistant for Roy as well.

With no HC experience at all, where Woodson was a HC at the highest level

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36082430/uconn-win-sdsu-lowest-viewed-ncaa-men-final-record

I know that San Diego State didn't really help the ratings, but this doesn't really bode well for UCONN either. The last paragraph is especially cut throat.

The numbers that an IU National Title game would bring in now would be huge.

28 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36082430/uconn-win-sdsu-lowest-viewed-ncaa-men-final-record

I know that San Diego State didn't really help the ratings, but this doesn't really bode well for UCONN either. The last paragraph is especially cut throat.

24,000 undergrads from a city slightly bigger than Martinsville 

40 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I didn’t watch because it was so damn late and I was traveling all day Monday. I couldn’t keep my eyes open. 

NCAA should switch to Final 4 games on Friday night and the Championship game on Sunday early evening. 

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/march-madness-uconns-win-over-san-diego-state-marked-lowest-watched-national-championship-on-record-213842527.html

Was coming to post something similar.  Didn't help that it was an absolute snoozefest of a game.

• Like 1