R64 Kent State Post Game Thread

KDB

It was kind of funny to hear the announcers freak out about TJD as he was making those insane spin moves and dunks towards the end. Not sure they had ever seen a game of his - or of basketball. 

Would love to see these Seniors go on a big run in the NCAAT. They deserve it. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Reacher said:

He's playing with confidence now. He's a battle tested veteran. Hopefully finally healthy. I hope he really shines in this tournament and can end his career at IU on a high note. He deserves it

I think the thing that surprises most teams is the ability of our bigs to take on guards on the perimeter, even though they have to see that on film. Carry would get a switch and start putting on his dribbling display and eventual drive to the hoop, only to find Race or Trayce right with him.

The other thing is, I'm not sure other teams realize what a tough defender Miller is...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It was kind of funny to hear the announcers freak out about TJD as he was making those insane spin moves and dunks towards the end. Not sure they had ever seen a game of his - or of basketball. 

Would love to see these Seniors go on a big run in the NCAAT. They deserve it. 

What frustrates me the most is that many of these national media types that were predicting we lose really have no idea how good Trayce is.

There was one moment, I think it was after the Thursday games, where they were in studio previewing Friday matchups, and Kenny Smith was blathering on about Kent State.

Either the host or Clark Kellog threw out TJD's 'not since Tim Duncan' comparision.  Smith immediately became silent and Barkley had a stunned look on his face and said 'wow'.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What frustrates me the most is that many of these national media types that were predicting we lose really have no idea how good Trayce is.

There was one moment, I think it was after the Thursday games, where they were in studio previewing Friday matchups, and Kenny Smith was blathering on about Kent State.

Either the host or Clark Kellig threw out TJD's 'not since Tim Duncan' comparision.  Smith immediately became silent and Barkley had a stunned look on his face and said 'wow'.  

That’s why I want him to go on a monster run. Show people and leave no doubt who the best player in CBB is. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I realize the box score doesn't show it, but damn....Gallo played some great defense on Carry and great D all night long. And his push up the floor with the assist to TJD for the slam was awesome.

I really think Gallo will be a stud next year. Remember, he hasn't had a full season without significant injury since when? His Freshman year? (can't remember that far back)

That's what stood out to me besides what TJD and Race did. I looked at the box score this morning to see what I missed and I'm like I felt Trey was in on so many key plays.

Either way the roommates did what Seniors are supposed to do.....TJD, Race, Kopp kudos for advancing us. Next up a trip with our old buddy Nijel.

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Either the host or Clark Kellog threw out TJD's 'not since Tim Duncan' comparision.  Smith immediately became silent and Barkley had a stunned look on his face and said 'wow'.  

Because Clark actually watches the games he commentates on. Barkley at least admits he doesn't watch as much. Somewhere along the way someone gave Kenny Smith some bad advice that he was a scholarly type. His pause delivery answers to make us think he's really deep in thought? My a--

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Because Clark actually watches the games he commentates on. Barkley at least admits he doesn't watch as much. Somewhere along the way someone gave Kenny Smith some bad advice that he was a scholarly type. His pause delivery answers to make us think he's really deep in thought? My a--

I like Clark and Charles. Kenny is a clown. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

I liked how we didn’t buckle on any of KS mini spurts. Especially considering how many of those spurts were aided by weird or lucky moments. A good resilient effort last night. 

Just imagine, Sincere scored 5 pts, with less than 1 second of time on the shot clock combined over 2 shots.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Barkley is tolerable.  Smith I can not stand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

That’s why I want him to go on a monster run. Show people and leave no doubt who the best player in CBB is. 

I have this strange feeling that we were intentionally given late games so fewer people would see it. That may change now that their chosen one flamed out!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wouldn't say never but only if he is wide open by a mile which he was last night.  Outside of Arizona and Kent State he is a very poor 3 point shooter.  

He’s had other stretches in his career of looking plenty good enough to shoot a couple a game. If he’s shooting with confidence that’s a big plus for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I hate having the NBA guys doing the studio or even announcing the games.

It doesn't make for the best product, that's for sure.

Unlike some of you, I don't mind the TNT crew. They are entertaining and there is a reason they've been doing it for as long as they have. But to the bigger point, Kenny, Chuck et al primarily follow the NBA. To shift and suddenly be as intimate with the knowledge and nuance of so many NCAA teams is unrealistic. They have to go on a crash course to catch up with people like Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis.

But to your overall point @IU Scott, yes, it takes away from what the colleges are/have done when announcers are unfamiliar with the players/teams. And of course, as fans that follow every dribble, any error is amplified 100x and becomes annoying.

• Like 1