R64 Kent State Post Game Thread

KDB

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Reggie Miller is just fine doing college games.

Reggie would be good at any level of basketball announcing. He loves the game with a passion and understands it at a level most of the announcers have never experienced. Also there was this...He knows when a team is going to choke.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 10.06.07 AM.png

reggie-miller-choke.jpg

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think the thing that surprises most teams is the ability of our bigs to take on guards on the perimeter, even though they have to see that on film. Carry would get a switch and start putting on his dribbling display and eventual drive to the hoop, only to find Race or Trayce right with him.

The other thing is, I'm not sure other teams realize what a tough defender Miller is...

I laughed last night when they tried to make Miller defend in the post lol.. that was NOT advantage Kent St. 

More coaching genius from @dbmhoosiers boy. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It doesn't make for the best product, that's for sure.

Unlike some of you, I don't mind the TNT crew. They are entertaining and there is a reason they've been doing it for as long as they have. But to the bigger point, Kenny, Chuck et al primarily follow the NBA. To shift and suddenly be as intimate with the knowledge and nuance of so many NCAA teams is unrealistic. They have to go on a crash course to catch up with people like Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis.

But to your overall point @IU Scott, yes, it takes away from what the colleges are/have done when announcers are unfamiliar with the players/teams. And of course, as fans that follow every dribble, any error is amplified 100x and becomes annoying.

Spot on. They’re actually really good when it comes to the NBA, and basketball in general. They just don’t follow college closely so they mess up a large number of details - Chuck can play it off but Kenny is too proud with his basketball knowledge to admit he doesn’t know something as well as he should. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It doesn't make for the best product, that's for sure.

Unlike some of you, I don't mind the TNT crew. They are entertaining and there is a reason they've been doing it for as long as they have. But to the bigger point, Kenny, Chuck et al primarily follow the NBA. To shift and suddenly be as intimate with the knowledge and nuance of so many NCAA teams is unrealistic. They have to go on a crash course to catch up with people like Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis.

But to your overall point @IU Scott, yes, it takes away from what the colleges are/have done when announcers are unfamiliar with the players/teams. And of course, as fans that follow every dribble, any error is amplified 100x and becomes annoying.

But they know so much more ball and can talk simply. Seth Davis has zero clue about ball, he just talks and knows good players. 

Kenny Smith might not know the teams, but he knew the EXACT difference immediately between TJD/Edey Indiana/Purdue. We can play multiple ways. Purdue cant. 

Kenny Smith is better than anybody ESPN has, imo. Not talking announcers of games.  Talking studio guys. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Spot on. They’re actually really good when it comes to the NBA, and basketball in general. They just don’t follow college closely so they mess up a large number of details - Chuck can play it off but Kenny is too proud with his basketball knowledge to admit he doesn’t know something as well as he should. 

I don't know if you caught the bit about Chuck admitting to washing his jersey while taking a shower, but it was absolute GOLD. Said he had to do so when he was playing back to back nights, and it was quicker to wash his jersey while wearing it in the shower. So dumb, so hilarious, so Chuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But they know soooooo much more ball and can talk simply. Seth Davis has zeroooooo clue about ball, he just talks and knows good players. 

Kenny Smith might not know the teams, but he knew the EXACT difference immediately between TJD/Edey Indiana/Purdue. We can play multiple ways. Purdue cant. 

Kenny Smith is better than anybody ESPN has, imo. Not talking announcers of games.  Talking studio guys. 

Put the crack pipe down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That wasn't Doris Burke last night but no I didn't like the Lady either. She doesn't do men's game all year either.

I have confused Doris for Deb Antonelli. For that I have been given 30 HoosierSportNation lashings and must attend 24 hours of banter in the home and garden thread.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

The arguments are splintering...

Are we discussing NBA v NCAA announcing?

or

TNT v ESPN announcers?

We gotta focus here people, it's Saturday morning ferChristssakes

Lemme put my crack pipe down, hold on... 

Idk. I like TNT guys better than any studio guys around, especially when you add Kellogg to the mix. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Lemme put my crack pipe down, hold on... 

Idk. I like TNT guys better than any studio guys around, especially when you add Kellogg to the mix. 

Ok.

That's basically what I said. I'm merely addressing those who DON'T like them. The TNT studio teams are extremely knowledgable about basketball, yet they are in a "weakened" position because they have to talk about college players and teams that they haven't really been following all year (because they're focused on the NBA).

Of course they understand the game and can speak to the strengths/weaknesses, but it's more cursory than intimate. Because of this, the product that is delivered to the fans watching on TV isn't as good as it could be. As a fan, you want the announcers to know every little detail and get it correct every time. If they say "Tamar Banks" or "the power forward" it can be agitating.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Ok.

That's basically what I said. I'm merely addressing those who DON'T like them. The TNT studio teams are extremely knowledgable about basketball, yet they are in a "weakened" position because they have to talk about college players and teams that they haven't really been following all year (because they're focused on the NBA).

Of course they understand the game and can speak to the strengths/weaknesses, but it's more cursory than intimate. Because of this, the product that is delivered to the fans watching on TV isn't as good as it could be. As a fan, you want the announcers to know every little detail and get it correct every time. If they say "Tamar Banks" or "the power forward" it can be agitating.

I actually kind of prefer it in terms of the studio people. They know the intricacies of the game in terms of X's/O's and breaking the game down, and while they may not know players, coaches and teams as well, I sort of find that refreshing. 

You don't have to deal with Bilas going on random rants about how oppressed the players are. You don't have to deal with Vitale going on rants about how great Calipari, Coach K, Izzo, Bill Self and those guys are. 

Again, I'm talking specifically about the studio team, not the game announcers. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I actually kind of prefer it in terms of the studio people. They know the intricacies of the game in terms of X's/O's and breaking the game down, and while they may not know players, coaches and teams as well, I sort of find thst refreshing. 

You don't have to deal with Bilas going on random rants about how oppressed the players are. You don't have to deal with Vitale going on rants about how great Calipari, Coach K, Bill Self and those guys are. 

Again, I'm talking specifically about the studio team, not the game announcers. 

There is a lot of self-aggrandizing and ludicrous pedestal placement, that's for sure.