NCAA Tournament 2nd Round-Miami Pre-Game

IUFLA

I suspect Miami will be a far greater threat than Kent St. (and Kent St wasn't bad at all)

Miami is bigger (than Kent St), athletic, and (supposedly) guard oriented.

Our Team D needs to show up big time.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

Was reading the Miami boards courtesy of HoosierFan1901 above, and came across the pre-game presser by the Miami coach. I thought it was pretty interesting.

In case you missed it and want to view it, here's the link to the presser (thanx Hoosierfan1901)

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/VIDEO-Miami-Hurricanes-basketball-Jim-Larranaga-and-players-preview-2nd-round-game-vs-Indiana--206826004/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

You mean why were up so late? The game ended really late. You still have to do media before you get out of there, shower up, get the equipment packed up, etc.

Probably eat something, get settled down and it can get to 4am really quick.  

At that point, might as well keep on schedule seeing as we have the late game Sun. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hoping we play well. Going to be a long night if we continue over helping on drives like we have most of the season.  Really worried about that because we give up a ton of open 3's when we do that. 

The strategy should be to run them off the 3pt line and force them to have to make difficult 2's over TJD, Reneau, etc. 

You would have to think that would be the plan. Though, I've expected to see something like that all season, and haven't always.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HoosierDom said:

You would have to think that would be the plan. Though, I've expected to see something like that all season, and haven't always.

You would hope, but took until the 2nd half in the BTT against PSU to stop the overhelping, and that was after doing it the entire game at PSU, doing it vs Iowa, etc. 

Don't get me wrong, love this staff and wonder if it's more of a player execution issue, but either way this is my big concern heading into this game. 

We also need to make this a halfcourt game. Miami likes to hit their 3's and score in transition. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You would hope, but took until the 2nd half in the BTT against PSU to stop the overhelping, and that was after doing it the entire game at PSU, doing it vs Iowa, etc. 

Don't get me wrong, love this staff and wonder if it's more of a player execution issue, but either way this is my big concern heading into this game. 

We also need to make this a halfcourt game. Miami likes to hit their 3's and score in transition. 

Need to press alittle more, at least just enough to limit them having so much time to execute, not necessarily full court but just an aggravator  

• Like 2

There is nothing new under the sun and especially when it comes to this season's keys to victory for IU. Rebounds and turnovers. Understanding, bad shots where they don't pass, use clock, and force up contested shots for no reason other than lack of patience are really just turnovers. 

Defense is no different. IU guards consistently hedge over or get caught trying to help down low making it difficult to recover. Teams like Miami can make them pay for it. They should start out staying close outside until Miami can prove they can beat TJD and Race inside. So, TJD, Race and MR need to stay out of foul trouble and control the boards for that to be an option.

Go Hoosiers!

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

To state the obvious, this is a must win game. 

I think our size can present a lot of problems for Miami, and not just down low but our perimeter length should give them problems too. They're going to have to put a small guard on JHS which has typically been something he can handle well this year.

I really think Miami is going to have a hard time guarding us inside; @IUFLAmentioned Reese and Cliff having big days against Miami, but Donta Scott popped off for 24 points on 12 shots. I think we could see another 40 or so combined from TJD and Race in this one.

Bottom line for Miami, they're a good offensive team but are going to really struggle to guard us. They're good, not great, from three so if we can run them off the line and force them to finish at the rim over TJD and company, I think we'll win by 5-10. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To state the obvious, this is a must win game. 

I think our size can present a lot of problems for Miami, and not just down low but our perimeter length should give them problems too. They're going to have to put a small guard on JHS which has typically been something he can handle well this year.

I really think Miami is going to have a hard time guarding us inside; @IUFLAmentioned Reese and Cliff having big days against Miami, but Donta Scott popped off for 24 points on 12 shots. I think we could see another 40 or so combined from TJD and Race in this one.

Bottom line for Miami, they're a good offensive team but are going to really struggle to guard us. They're good, not great, from three so if we can run them off the line and force them to finish at the rim over TJD and company, I think we'll win by 5-10. 

Yeah, to me this all comes down to 3pt defense and rebounding. Our offense isn't necessarily prolific, but it's typically efficient. We usually score enough. 

We just can't can't get killed at the 3pt line, we can't trade 2's for their 3's. We absolutely can't do that over helping thing we almost always do that leaves our defense scrambling and giving up wide open 3's.  

While Miami isn't Iowa or PSU as a team shooting 3's, from what I could tell their core scorers are their best 3pt shooters. 

We need to make them try and score 2's over our bigs in the halfcourt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, to me this all comes down to 3pt defense and rebounding. Our offense isn't necessarily prolific, but it's typically efficient. We usually score enough. 

We just can't can't get killed at the 3pt line, we can't trade 2's for their 3's. We absolutely can't do that over helping thing we almost always do that leaves our defense scrambling and giving up wide open 3's.  

While Miami isn't Iowa or PSU as a team shooting 3's, from what I could tell their core scorers are their best 3pt shooters. 

Spot on! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If we can successfully defend the 3-point line, I think we win by double digits. If we can control the defensive boards and score a lot of points in the paint, I think Miami will miss enough shots for us to squeak by in a fairly high scoring game. That's my prediction: we give up too many shots, but we take care of the glass and get a lot of points out of our big guys. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Reasoning?

Kopp had a video of him eating dinner at around 2am. He was eating it in the bathroom BTW.

My guess is that Indiana has a certain regime for recovery after a game and because the NCAA is run by retrograde mongoloids it pushed those activities into the early morning hours.

• Like 2